Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Still getting attempts to install this broken update - for a week I've had to waste half an hour everytime I've restarted, turned off or turned on while this stupid update forces itself onto my machine and then there's extra waiting time as it "undoes the changes" as it can't install!!:mad::mad:
But hopefully my misery has been temporarily solved due to @frogboy suggesting I use O&O Shutup to stop the forced updates for now... :D
Hope it works as have just been through yet another failed update and to be honest, it's really beginning to irritate me now!! :mad::mad:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Still getting attempts to install this broken update - for a week I've had to waste half an hour everytime I've restarted, turned off or turned on while this stupid update forces itself onto my machine and then there's extra waiting time as it "undoes the changes" as it can't install!!:mad::mad:
But hopefully my misery has been temporarily solved due to @frogboy suggesting I use O&O Shutup to stop the forced updates for now... :D
Hope it works as have just been through yet another failed update and to be honest, it's really beginning to irritate me now!! :mad::mad:
Well I do hope this helps you out my friend, always pleased to try and help. :)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
If you a WinPE or Linux, boot using it. Then delete Software distribution folder from C:\Windows\
Download offline cumulative update for W10 instead of WU.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Well we got my wife's laptop fixed after it got borqued by the last Window's update. Luckily I called the place where she bought it, and they did what they call a recondition. It brings the laptop back to the state when she bought it. So I ended up sitting up for about three to four hours putting in the new Windows Creators update and all the others, so my wife could go on it when she got up in the mourning. After 40 years of marriage I've learned a happy wife is a happy life.

P

plat1098

Thread author
OK, kb4040724 appears to have made Edge behave a little better here after taking a nosedive with kb4038788. This is very early, hope the fix hangs in there. :coffee:

Reactions: Vasudev

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Have there been any new updates since this broken update was released as it STILL refuses to install on my system! And I've disabled auto download of updates so it doesn't force me to watch a spinning circle of dots for 30 mins!:oops:
Mind you, I've tried to fix it, using update troubleshooter, etc and attempted to install it 3 times yesterday - all failed:(
And I really don't want to go nuclear and reinstall windows completely cos it takes wayyyyy too long!:eek:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
KB4040724 failed, I tried installing it manually, it failed again, I disabled all security softs, and it succeeded. I wish I knew wish security soft borked it, so I could shoot it in the head.
Have there been any new updates since this broken update was released as it STILL refuses to install on my system! And I've disabled auto download of updates so it doesn't force me to watch a spinning circle of dots for 30 mins!:oops:
Mind you, I've tried to fix it, using update troubleshooter, etc and attempted to install it 3 times yesterday - all failed:(
And I really don't want to go nuclear and reinstall windows completely cos it takes wayyyyy too long!:eek:
As far as I know, it is not being pushed out automatically, you only get it if you are nervous or curious and you do a user-initiated check for updates. And this is because there is nothing so crucial in the update. Most users will get it later, when (hopefully) it is fixed.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
KB4040724 failed, I tried installing it manually, it failed again, I disabled all security softs, and it succeeded. I wish I knew wish security soft borked it, so I could shoot it in the head.

As far as I know, it is not being pushed out automatically, you only get it if you are nervous or curious and you do a user-initiated check for updates. And this is because there is nothing so crucial in the update. Most users will get it later, when (hopefully) it is fixed.
If I turn ON the automatic updater, it sneaks itself on and then when I restart or whatever, its another 30 wasted mins of spinning circles and 'undoing changes'.
Then it says "System up to date" and the next day, it goes through the SAME process again!:mad::mad:
Might try turning off security stuff just for the update - not tried that yet:)

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

It seems KB4040724 is primarily a fix of KB4038788 :rolleyes:.

@shmu26 - your problem not related to HMP.A this time?

George Perkins

Oct 14, 2017
Uninstall of KB4038788 fixes a blank monitor issue for me.

KB4038788 did not fix my issues.

Windows 10 was working fine until Microsoft broke Windows 10 dual monitor support on my Dell Inspiron 530 computer (OS was upgraded from WinVista, to Win7, subsequently upgraded to Win10). The problem with KB4038788 seems to be a backward compatibility problem with older OEM video drivers.

In summary (proposed solution):

1. Microsoft broke my Dell OEM video driver support for dual monitors in KB4038788. A subsequent update in KB4040724 does not resolve this
issue.

2. Symptom: After a Sleep or Shutdown dual monitors do not work. Only the primary monitor has a display.

3. A complete Windows Restart restores dual monitor functionality.

4. Alternatively, (after Sleep or Shutdown resume) pressing
Ctrl+Shift+Win+B
to reload the video driver will restore the second monitor.

Hopefully Microsoft will fix their video driver incompatibility problems in an up-coming update. Otherwise I have committed "Ctrl+Shift+Win+B" to memory!! :(

See also:

http://en.community.dell.co...

https://answers.microsoft.c...

Reactions: Marko :)
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.