Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
"The new update is now available for Windows 10 version 21H2, version 21H1, and version 20H2 As per the official release notes, Microsoft has published two main cumulative updates for Windows 10 - KB5009543 and KB5009545."

What's new in the latest cumulative update for Windows 10​

• Updates a known issue that affects Japanese Input Method Editors (IME). Text you enter might appear out of order or the text cursor might move unexpectedly in apps that use the multibyte character set (MBCS).
  • Updates security for your Windows operating system. This update makes quality improvements to the servicing stack, which is the component that installs Windows updates. Servicing stack updates (SSU) ensure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices can receive and install Microsoft updates.
  • This update makes quality improvements to the servicing stack, which is the component that installs Windows updates. Servicing stack updates (SSU) ensure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices can receive and install Microsoft updates.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
-Updates a known issue that affects Japanese Input Method Editors (IME). Text you enter might appear out of order or the text cursor might move unexpectedly in apps that use the multibyte character set (MBCS).-

I've gotten used to the glitches in this area by now.:rolleyes::coffee:
The update itself was applied smoothly, and hopefully the update will continue peacefully until 2025.:)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

New Windows KB5009543, KB5009566 updates break L2TP VPN connections​

After installing yesterday's updates, Windows users find their L2TP VPN connections broken when attempting to connect using the Windows VPN client.

When attempting to connect to a VPN device, they are shown an error stating, "Can't connect to VPN. The L2TP connection attempt failed because the security layer encountered a processing error during initial negotiations with the remote computer," as shown below.

Windows error when connecting to an LT2P VPN
Unfortunately, there is no known fix or workaround for the L2TP VPN connection issues at this time.

BleepingComputer has reached out to Microsoft about the bug but has not received a reply yet.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Windows 10 optional updates fix performance problems introduced last month​

Recent Windows updates caused performance hits​

After installing the January 2022 KB5009543 update, Windows 10 users began to notice that Windows suffered from severe performance issues.

These performance issues included slow boots and slow response times when opening the Start Menu, launching apps, playing games, and performing pretty much all of the basic functions of the operating system. In general, Windows felt "laggy" after installing the updates.

"Prior to the update, it took maybe 2 minutes for my laptop to boot to the home screen. It now takes close to a half hour. I'm frustrated to the point where I'm now planning to disable updates and uninstall this update," a user named Ninja_Bobcat posted on Reddit.

"This update has ruined my laptop in games, namely warzone and apex. Goes to 0 fps and huge stutters everywhere," another person posted.

"My computer is incredibly slow after KB5009543 security update and KB5008876 windows update. It takes about 3 minutes for my computer to boot and maybe 2-3 minutes to open a tab on chrome. Absolutely killed my computer," said a third Windows 10 user.

BleepingComputer replicated these performance issues after installing the January 2022 KB5009543 update on multiple laptops.

The good news is that BleepingComputer found that installing the optional KB5009596 preview update released late last month fixed these newly introduced performance issues.

However, as these updates are optional, many users will not know to install them. Thus, their performance issues will continue until the mandatory February 2022 Patch Tuesday updates are installed, which will include these fixes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.