Status
Not open for further replies.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Hello,

I installed Windows 10 Pro 10240 x64 from a well known torrent site and got it activated by the "slmgr" command like many others.

Even though, I own a genuine Windows 7 HP x64 license, and also will be using it to upgrade to Win 10 eventually, my question is, what's the long term status of the Pro copy that I am using right now? Will it continue to work, or the other way around? Confused!

I don't want to install Win 7 at the moment because I will not be getting the upgrade asap, as it will be rolled out to the insiders first. But I also have been an insider, but there are so many unknowns right now, that I really don't know until I know myself.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Hi there,

I am currently running a clean install of Windows 10 Home Build 10240 x64 as a clean install. It requested a license key on setup but I skipped it, signed in with my Microsoft Account and when I got to the desktop I seen it has automatically activated itself using my Windows 8.1 key from the BIOS.

Depending on what method you used to activate it will determine the length, especially if it was a illegal one cause I'm sure Microsoft will be pushing checkers through Windows update which will most likely mess up your install. Since you got this from a torrent site. You have no idea what kind of backdoors, viruses, etc this ISO contains. I got my ISO from Microsoft so I know it's safe.

As long as your install is legit and a legit Windows 7/8.1 key was used it should remain activated for the lifetime of that machine. But if it was a crack that you used or a key provided by Microsoft for testing then I cannot guaranteed that it will be activated for the lifetime of the machine. Most likely a update will be pushed to deactivate it.

I don't condone the use of cracks whatsoever. It's extremely risky and really isn't worth all of the trouble when Microsoft can easily push a update and mess it up or you could just end up getting all kinds of viruses.

Since I am using a legit Windows 8.1 key, I'm assuming my copy will remain activated for the lifetime of my machine.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Where did you get the Win 10 Home 10240 x64 ISO file from? If I install it, how will i activate it? I don't think it will accept my Windows 7 key that way (clean install).

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Where did you get the Win 10 Home 10240 x64 ISO file from? If I install it, how will i activate it? I don't think it will accept my Windows 7 key that way (clean install).
I was in the insider program so it updated automatically through Windows update. Microsoft isn't accepting any new members since it's so close to release now. If you were to get a copy. I cannot tell you whether or not it will activate using your Windows 7 product key. I can attest to Windows 8.1 as that is the key it used automatically for me. But I'm guessing it should accept you key as long as your versions match up with each other. The Microsoft activation servers are back up so you are now able to do clean installs and activate them. I did my clean install yesterday by making a ISO using CMD.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
You are correct in that you can't use your Win 7 key to do a clean install, I assume any Win 10 system that wasn't an upgrade is a trial that will expire.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
I think the only way is to install Win 7 first and then wait for the upgrade to arrive.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
You are correct in that you can't use your Win 7 key to do a clean install, I assume any Win 10 system that wasn't an upgrade is a trial that will expire.
I did a clean install yesterday on my laptop. It came with Windows 8.1 and it requested for a license key during setup but once I skipped it and logged in with my Microsoft Account and I reached the desktop, I checked my activation and Windows has appeared to been activated. Before this install I did a clean one and it didn't activate cause Microsoft's activation servers were down so I had to install Windows 8.1 and then upgrade to 10 and then it would activate but now clean installs are working flawlessly since the server is now back up.

I cannot testify for 7 since I don't use it, but for 8.1 users it should work flawless.

SherKaan

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
Malware Man: How did you make the 10240 ISO file? I am still not getting your point.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Interesting, maybe because you're an insider, everything I see says no clean installs until an upgrade is performed. That's why no more ISO files, everyone must use windows update at this point.

Last edited:

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
Malware Man: How did you make the 10240 ISO file? I am still not getting your point.
Google it. There are multiple tutorials out there. Oh the Microsoft Account I sign into Windows with is in the Insider programs so that could be maybe why it's auto activating.

I must point out you must have the Windows 10 upgrade files downloaded via Windows update in order to make this ISO. So I'm assuming you aren't in the Insider program so you cannot do this.

You can take a chance and download one of the 10240 builds off a site and trust that there aren't any viruses in it but Microsoft does not condone this at all.

Once you have done the upgrade you can do a clean install on that system and it is activated but it must be an upgrade first in order for clean installs to be fully activated.
Thank you! That probably explains why it now works. I thought you could only use the refresh option in settings. Clean installs must really work then. It's good to know!

Last edited by a moderator:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think the only way is to install Win 7 first and then wait for the upgrade to arrive.
That would be the best option.You have 1 yr. to upgrade so there is no reason to hurry.I imagine the upgrade will be slow on the 29th and thereafter since everyone will be upgrading.More importantly waiting will ensure that the kinks will be worked out.

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
@exterminator20 I agree with you about bugs (not discovered yet). I got BSOD 3 times in 2 days (maybe it was caused by the software).

If you are not insider then best way is to use upgrade method with legal license (e.g. From Windows 7 to Windows 10). After that you can make fresh install anytime because next time your license is already activated (without user input). :)

Regards,
Kardo

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Don't go on such little complicated process, so better yet since you own a genuine license key therefore it should be activate very well from the installation of Windows 7 up to the upgrade point for Windows 10. ;)

Reactions: Kardo Kristal
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.