New Update Windows 10 May 2023 Patch Tuesday (KB5026361)

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft is rolling out the monthly security update (also called "B release") for May 2023 on Windows Server 20H2, and Windows 10 for the latest versions, 21H1, 21H2, and 22H2. The new updates are being distributed under KB5026361, bumping up the builds to 19042.2965, 19044.2965, and 19045.2965.

You can find standalone links to download the new update on Microsoft Update Catalog at this link here.

The major highlight of the release as usual is security updates for Windows 10.

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Earlier this month, Microsoft released the KB5026361 update for those running Windows 10. The update, which was released as a part of Patch Tuesday, fixed a bunch of security issues. However, it looks like the update also introduced some unintentional bugs to the operating system.

According to posts on Reddit and Microsoft Feedback Hub, users are experiencing a variety of issues after upgrading their Windows 10 machines to the latest update.

A majority of the reports involve Blue Screen of Death (BSoD) errors for Windows 10 users with the error code "PROCESS1 INITIALIZATION FAILED". A quick glance on an outdated Microsoft article about the error code reveals that it has something to do with the Bootcat file.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Wow, OK. Yesterday I got a BSOD simply by navigating to the Start Menu. However, this was not the one mentioned in the article (Process Initialization Failed) but named Critical_Process_Died. 🥶

After doing a lot of hardware troubleshooting, I guessed that this might have been caused by a bad Power Plan option (I'd left it on Power Saver, lol). But now I'm not so sure.

Sheesh, leave it to Microsoft to make it nice and mysterious, with lots of plot twists and whodunits. 😡 Well, the mess is contained in Windows in its entirety so if need be, I'll just re-install it.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Sheesh, leave it to Microsoft to make it nice and mysterious, with lots of plot twists and whodunits.
Imagine how boring the life would be, if Windows would just work and what about tech support jobs?! I have removed Start and widgets to deal with the latest issues, it works for me. 🤫

• Love
Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.