Advice Request Windows 10 Mobile is a huge disappointment

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
After multiple Insider builds and feedback from users, how can Microsoft not fix a basic core app.

The People app fails to sync the contacts from your account, leaving people frustrated. When you upgrade or switch to a new phone, ready for retail, you expect a top level of service for everything to work.

This is not the case with W10 Mobile. Utter crap.

Did they forget that people buy phones to make Calls?

Ridiculous. :mad:

D

Deleted member 178

So if i understand you can't sync your friends numbers from your Win8 phone to your win10 phone/computer/tablet and vice-versa?

Reactions: upnorth

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
So if i understand you can't sync your friends numbers from your Win8 phone to your win10 phone/computer/tablet and vice-versa?
An upgrade, everything else works but People contacts are not available.

Contacts that are stored at people.live.com.

Lumia 930 which is supported by W10M.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I've upgraded from 8.1 to 10 and it preserved all my contacts and messages, re-downloading / syncing them from microsoft account. Recently reinstalled to original 8.1 OS and again upgraded to W10, contacts remained in sync, but messages didn't, dunno the cause

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Sad to hear because my experience is very much the opposite but ofcourse not 100%. The sync and even the battery never been an issue atleast not for me. The upgrade and extra ones that followed been a very smooth operation even if I been dead scare that it would kill the phone. The phone ( Lumia 930 ) has had a few odd hickups but also occurred previously with 8 and 8.1 and is still fixed with a simple reboot. The last upgrade on 8.1 was IMO very nice and made for example the camera work perfect but what I still miss alot is a language pack for my country as I can't utilize Cortana without change the langauge first. I'm not a huge fan of the new UI for phone calls as it's too much Android IMO.

The camera/video is finaly working again as I want and I'm able to take fast and cristal clear images/videos and no delay when I hit the built-in camera button on the side or take screenshots with the other 2 buttons. The one hand option that is turned on by simply hold down the Home button is pretty cool. One thing that I really missed in previous versions was a fully working app report option as one day it just gave up and never came back. Now it works flawless.

Security Guide :
Windows 10 Mobile security guide (Windows 10)

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
We talked to our mobile operator in-store, and the technical support was not able to solve the issue. They suggested to backup all existing data (ie. photos, videos, music) and then perform a Factory Reset.

If that fails then we can send the Lumia 930 to Nokia, as it's under warranty (2 years). Takes up to 7 days.

If it's an actual hardware fault, then we'll have a replacement within 24 hours.

As an emergency, we still have the Lumia 925 (previous phone) and have a micro-SIM holder for the nano-SIM card, as the phones needs to operational ASAP (for business use).

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Upgraded to 950XL last year and had no issues getting my contacts to sync to the new phone and OS.
Are you only talking Insider builds? Shouldn't use them in production.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Upgraded to 950XL last year and had no issues getting my contacts to sync to the new phone and OS.
Are you only talking Insider builds? Shouldn't use them in production.
Stable through Upgrade Advisor, it only released in the UK, this past month.

Lumia 950XL comes with W10M out of the box, I upgraded from WP8.1.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Too bad, it seems the issue of Windows 10 is selective where some may work or not. However for me its fine to my smartphone retain to Windows 8.1 as issues on latest version known for possible bugs.

Mineria

Level 3
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Stable through Upgrade Advisor, it only released in the UK, this past month.

Lumia 950XL comes with W10M out of the box, I upgraded from WP8.1.
Odd that it doesn't work out for you, my old 930 synced everything fine when I went Insider fast-ring 6-7 months ago.
Only issue I stumbled over was that it didn't get everything before the FB app was added.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@Huracan
FYI, after 7 days of reinstalling the system, messages are in sync... don't ask me how, I just woke up and all my messages are back :rolleyes:

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I did a factory reset and resolved the issue.

However now I face another problem, that didn't exist in Windows Phone 8.1.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Unable to sync Office 365 Email Account to Outlook Mail app via Exchange mode.

Error: 0x85010004

In Windows Phone 8.1 I did not experience such issues.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I tried almost all Google-searched results for W10M. Nothing works.

Funnily enough the OWA app for iOS and Android work flawlessly.

Conclusion: W10M is a poor choice for businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.