Troubleshoot Windows 10 not really shutting down?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
When i shut down the system or reboot, all programs that were open before reboot are still open... like it just hibernated. I disabled fast boot and it still didn't work. Also uninstalled Intel Management Interface and installed a previous version like mentioned on the web.

It's annoying because all issues that could be fixed by rebooting are not being fixed because the system isn't properly shutting down...

Any ideas? Have you suffered anything similar with recent Windows updates?

T

TrinitronMSDOS

I haven't encounter that problem personaly (knock on wood) but my mom has. It is weird indeed and i have no idea where it could come from. Microsoft... you've successfully fail to ensure one of the most basic and essential fonction of an OS: shutting off :ROFLMAO:

Jokes aside, i would really be curious to know what causes this behavior (broken update, driver, etc...) and if a clean install would solve the problem :unsure:

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I haven't encounter that problem personaly (knock on wood) but my mom has. It is weird indeed and i have no idea where it could come from. Microsoft... you've successfully fail to ensure one of the most basic and essential fonction of an OS: shutting off :ROFLMAO:

Jokes aside, i would really be curious to know what causes this behavior (broken update, driver, etc...) and if a clean install would solve the problem :unsure:
Since nothing has changed on my system reciently (installed/uninstalled critical things) i'm thinking a failed update may be causing this...

Upvote 0

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
It's annoying because all issues that could be fixed by rebooting are not being fixed because the system isn't properly shutting down...
It is not a bug, it is a feature. You have to create shortcuts for restart/shutdown yourself.

Code:
shutdown /s /f /t 0
shutdown /r /f /t 0

/s - Shutdown the computer
/sg - Default since 1709. Shutdown the computer. On the next boot, restart any registered applications
/r - Full shutdown and restart the computer
/g - Default since 1709. Full shutdown and restart the computer. After the system is rebooted, restart any registered applications

Also, you might want to check this: Use sign-in info to auto finish after Update or Restart in Windows 10

Upvote 0
P

plat1098

I've had just about every "feature" associated with the Fall CU: frozen Start/search/metro with bad shutdown: TaskHostWindow PlugandPlay requires installation upon reboot, blah, blah, blah. " A nearly $3000 machine was at times a large and decorative brick, requiring multiple strategies to regain function, finally without signing out/in. I make sure now to close everything before clicking "Shut down." Both Quick Boot in BIOS and fast startup/hibernate are disabled. Three clean installs and this still happens so it must be a "feature." As we speak, I am downloading kb4051963 cumulative update, let's see what adventures that brings. :rolleyes:

Windows 10 - on restart opens programs from last session

Edit: deliberately left Chrome open and restarted machine to complete updates. When desktop loaded afterward, Chrome opened. So, thanks, @TairikuOkami, I may follow thru with your code. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I fixed it by following some advice on the article shared by @plat1098. Thanks!

I quote:

This isn't due to hibernate.

I've confirmed the setting re-opening windows is the following
  • Press [windows key + i]
  • Select Accounts
  • Click on 'Sign-in Options'
  • Scroll to the bottom and turn off 'Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restarty'

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.