Advice Request Windows 10 or Windows 7/8/8.1 ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Its been almost a month since Microsoft rolled out the new OS to the world.
How many have decided to stay with Windows 10?
Who is rolling back to their previous OS? If downgrading, what is your reason?
Share your opinion over your experience in the new Windows..

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Still at Windows 7 64 and not yet decided to upgrade or not and I am closely studding everything related to Windows 10, and if I am comfortable then I may upgrade. The only advantage I can see on windows 10 at the moment is having support for DirectX 12 and all other aspects of the OS I found older OSes better, it subjective of course. If DirectX 12 is the only factor, then I wont upgrade to Windows 10 due to various reasons.

Reactions: JakeXPMan
D

Deleted member 178

Win10 = Win7 ease of access + Win8 improved features

- i boot on Win10 in less than 30sec.
- i don't have any ridiculous BSODs like i had in Win7,
- i don't have to spend 2 hours on disabling useless services like i have to do in Win7
- i have UEFI
- the Kernel is stronger
- Windows Firewall is stronger
- Windows Defender is stronger
- i have Smartscreen
- i have Edge
- my system is faster

i can tell more... so why should i go back ...?

ifacedown

Level 18
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Windows 10!

In addition to mostly all (the only exception is the EUFI) that Umbra said, let me say:

Windows 10 allows me to use modern apps in my small screen resolution of 1024x600.

ONLY, the ONLY advantage of Windows 7 over Windows 10 is the user privacy. BUT, you can tweak settings of Windows 10 to enhance user privacy.

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
I'd desperately waited for windows 10 launch, installed it on the launch date, so far loving it, no intention to downgrade it to previous versions, every software I use is compatible with Windows 10. My Favourite OS it has become :)

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
Upgraded then downgraded To Windows 8.1 and the only reason for downgrading was my laptop battery life coz my battery life in Windows 10 was 1-1.5 hours hardly and my laptop was also throwing a lot of heat while my laptop battery in Windows 8 was 4-5 hours and laptop fans was fine That's the main reason for downgrading And Besides I like Windows 10 Performance, UI and security improvements

Tani

Level 9
Verified
Nov 25, 2014
Upgraded then downgraded To Windows 8.1 and the only reason for downgrading was my laptop battery life coz my battery life in Windows 10 was 1-1.5 hours hardly and my laptop was also throwing a lot of heat while my laptop battery in Windows 8 was 4-5 hours and laptop fans was fine That's the main reason for downgrading And Besides I like Windows 10 Performance, UI and security improvements
yes it used to consume little extra power but after some upgrades & latest drivers it's totally fine.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Win10 = Win7 ease of access + Win8 improved features

- i boot on Win10 in less than 30sec.
- i don't have any ridiculous BSODs like i had in Win7,
- i don't have to spend 2 hours on disabling useless services like i have to do in Win7
- Windows Firewall is stronger
- my system is faster

Note : Windows 10 being faster is not guaranteed for everyone.

Could you answer these, @Umbra?
  • How is Windows Firewall stronger?
  • Did you ever notice any repetitive BSoD? If so, which ones?

Windows 10 feels like it was "severely" rushed, the release should have been postponed to sometime next year (seeing as how many bugs that it has at the moment.) It was actually great for the 16 days that I used it — though I only disliked the annoying bugs that I encountered.

The inconsistent design of it all made me feel hurt inside — it feels just like a Windows 8.1 redesign with a start menu and extra features.

.......I feel like it's overrated in the state that it is currently in.

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
My voting option isn't on the list. (Haven't upgraded and unsure if I want to)

So just reading along, observing :) hehe.

Could you answer these, @Umbra

Windows 10 feels like it was "severely" rushed, the release should have been postponed to sometime next year (seeing as how many bugs that it has at the moment.)
The inconsistent design of it all made me feel hurt inside — it feels just like a Windows 8.1 redesign with a start menu and extra features.

I see your points..., it does owe a lot of credit to Windows 7 and 8 for looking like a mix of both OS's. Both 7 and 8 are probably more recognizable then 10 so far.

I been checking youtube videos of Windows 10 to see what its like. MS could have done more compatibility tests, and wait until Christmas time or new years to release it. Just to solve more conflicts and glitchy bugs.

Not sold yet on upgrading, free or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015

Could you answer these, @Umbra?
  • How is Windows Firewall stronger?
  • Did you ever notice any repetitive BSoD? If so, which ones?

Windows 10 feels like it was "severely" rushed, the release should have been postponed to sometime next year (seeing as how many bugs that it has at the moment.) It was actually great for the 16 days that I used it — though I only disliked the annoying bugs that I encountered.

I think in the same way that Windows 10 was released so early and nobody knows why Microsoft blindly rushed in the release of bugged Window knowing that the power users will not like it it should have been released after a year when the critical bugs should have been fixed
Windows 8 had bugs but they were not as critical as Windows 10 are facing

Reactions: Kuttz

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think @Umbra hit the nail on the head. I would find it extremely hard to go back to Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is so much better than 7. The 5 PC's I have upgraded(2 upgrade 3 clean install)have installed without any issues.No driver problems no BSOD's almost too easy.
However I wish I could say the same for my beloved ASUS ROG Laptop :( It has been a nightmare with that thing,countless freezes and clean installs and still have problems. This is obviously no fault of Microsoft but all ASUS. After 4 days messing with this thing I called ASUS just to see what they would say and they told me my hardware doesn't support Windows10 :confused: I installed Windows 10 on an 8 year old Sony Vaio and it runs like a champ. How can a Laptop with better specs than most desktops not support Windows 10?
Back on topic I voted I will stay with Windows 10. If there was an option for would I stay with ASUS I might have to say no!

I think in the same way that Windows 10 was released so early and nobody knows why Microsoft blindly rushed in the release of bugged Window knowing that the power users will not like it it should have been released after a year when the critical bugs should have been fixed
Windows 8 had bugs but they were not as critical as Windows 10 are facing

Windows 8 & 8.1 had some pretty bad ones,the worst was Windows update became corrupted with no way to update.The only recourse was to reinstall.I haven't found too many issues with Windows 10 other than with ASUS

Last edited:

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
I think @Umbra hit the nail on the head. I would find it extremely hard to go back to Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 is so much better than 7. The 5 PC's I have upgraded(2 upgrade 3 clean install)have installed without any issues.No driver problems no BSOD's almost too easy.
However I wish I could say the same for my beloved ASUS ROG Laptop :( It has been a nightmare with that thing countless freezes and clean installs and still have problems. This is obviously no fault of Microsoft but all ASUS. After 4 days messing with this thing I called ASUS just to see what they would say and they told me my hardware doesn't support Windows10 :confused: I installed Windows 10 on an 8 year old Sony Vaio and it runs like a champ. How can a Laptop with better specs than most desktops not support Windows 10?
Back on topic I voted I will stay with Windows 10. If there was an option for would I stay with ASUS I might have to say no!

Windows 8 & 8.1 had some pretty bad ones,the worst was Windows update became corrupted with no way to update.The only recourse was to reinstall.I havent found too many issues with Windows 10 other than with ASUS
Unfortunately I faced a series amount of bugs in Windows 10 like ,
the system restore couldn't restore it always failed to restored and
login screen bug couldn't log in after entering password Windows freezes ,
Bsods etc I cant write all of them here coz list is huge

Reactions: frogboy and Kuttz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.