Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Hello everybody,

Does anybody know how I can prevent windows 10 from logging in into the latest user when I start my pc? I already searched and found a registry fix for windows 8, but I does not work anymore after you install new windows updates. I just want the login screen as it was in windows 7, where you click on the user account you want to use (like this: http://cloud.addictivetips.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/AdministratorAccountWindows7_thumb.jpg), instead of directly logging in to the latest user.
Any suggestions?

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
If you set a password for each accounts it wont do auto login when you start your PC and you will get prompt to enter password to log in. You can set a small easy to remember passwords for each accounts in your windows 10.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@kuttan is right, that behaviour does same at all from previous Windows version editions so with password protected you can choose which user you are about to access.

Actually even without password protected, if there are more than 2 accounts then no auto login should occur.

This link may done in opposite way which you will prevent the automatic login.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does this work?
It's still the reason; it's the default action in 8.x/10 when users have null passwords.

You can get around it several ways.
  1. Password. (Also set a 4-digit PIN for easier logins)
  2. Open a Run command, and enter control userpasswords2 and hit Enter. Under the "Advanced" tab. Enable Secure-Sign In which requires you press Ctrl+Alt+Del at the login screen. (Can keep your lack of passwords this way)
  3. Same run command as before, and that should have the "Users must enter a name & pw" checkbox you were looking for.
Source: When Windows 10 boots, it automatically logs in the last user. How can I disable it? • /r/Windows10

kev216

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Thanks for the suggestions. :)
I will check it out to see if it works as I want it to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.