Status
Not open for further replies.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I got a little confused. .isn't there a way to make a win 10 clean install just by using an old, original, windows 8 key?
Thank you

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
I got a little confused. .isn't there a way to make a win 10 clean install just by using an old, original, windows 8 key?
Thank you
Yes. You upgrade from your activated Win8, create your ISO, then reformat/reinstall 10. Kludgy, I know, but that's what Microsoft put in place. You shouldn't have to enter a Win10 key if you install it on that same system**.

**"Same system" as being defined by Microsoft.

Reactions: nissimezra

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Thank you, so you cannot burn the iso and install win 10 on a new partition uding a valid win 8 key?

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
No. You have to upgrade to create your Win10 licence (hardware ID) so it pops your licence/ID on the Windows Store (where your "key" is kept, not on the ISO...think some of us were mistaken on that). When you do a clean install, you SKIP key entry as you don't have one; it'll activate after you go online.

I'm wondering if one can use the ISO to kick off the upgrade process; I don't see why not if you run it from within the OS and it is the matching edition (Home on Home, Pro on Pro).

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
Why everyone have the same keys?

Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Why everyone have the same keys?

Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y
Yes it seems everyone have the same key...I don't understand this why?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
No. You have to upgrade to create your Win10 licence (hardware ID) so it pops your licence/ID on the Windows Store (where your "key" is kept, not on the ISO...think some of us were mistaken on that). When you do a clean install, you SKIP key entry as you don't have one; it'll activate after you go online.

I'm wondering if one can use the ISO to kick off the upgrade process; I don't see why not if you run it from within the OS and it is the matching edition (Home on Home, Pro on Pro).
Windows Updates downloaded the files needed for Win 10 on the system. I prepared ISO with Install.esd. And also prepared bootable USB with ISO.

Later I got notification from Windows that my Win 10 install was ready. I proceeded but the install process stucked at "working on it" screen for more than 2 hours. I tried again but the install process was stucking at "working on it" screen i.e circle was spinning but the install never proceeded further.

So I did an inplace upgrade with the prepared ISO. After install & net connected license was activated successfully.

Later I did clean install with bootable ISO. During install 2 times license activation was asked & both the times I skipped it. After install & net connected license was activated successfully.

I think inplace upgrade with ISO is fine to go for the upgrade as its the same as windows updates upgrades i.e both upgrades are done from within the Windows.

Hope no probs in the future related to license...I think there will be no prob.

I googled & read many users & forum mention inplace upgrade with ISO is fine & works on the eligible systems...& no probs at all.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
That's what i used 2 days ago. :p It works but i reserved a copy from MS first.
I could not wait for MS to send me the copy of win10 so i used this tool and worked like a charm, and it got activated normally without any issues.
Don't know if this works without making a reservation.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Oh Heavens no; I've always admonished against upgrades/dirty installs--nothing but problems. I don't buy that reset argument either; I would only use that as a contingency temporarily until a proper clean install can be accomplished. This still holds true with Win10...I've seen quirks specifically due to in-place upgrades.

First problem: upgrade puts the recovery partition at the end of the disk rather than at the beginning, which prevents Samsung Magician overprovision feature from working.

I upgraded and then performed a clean install per the linked instructions.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Oh Heavens no; I've always admonished against upgrades/dirty installs--nothing but problems. I don't buy that reset argument either; I would only use that as a contingency temporarily until a proper clean install can be accomplished. This still holds true with Win10...I've seen quirks specifically due to in-place upgrades.

First problem: upgrade puts the recovery partition at the end of the disk rather than at the beginning, which prevents Samsung Magician overprovision feature from working.

I upgraded and then performed a clean install per the linked instructions.
Ok... I thought you were going to use ISO to upgrade & then USB to clean install.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Okay here is what i did in order to upgrade to win 10 and later do a clean install and register without issues:
> Upgraded "dirty" by keeping my files and settings using Windows Media Creation Tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
> Used macrium reflect free to backup and create an image of drive.
> Used Windows Media Creation Tool again to create a bootable USB installation of win10 pro or "DVD" which ever you prefer.
> Booted up USB to make a clean install. Choose Advanced Install and format only once big partition of the drive. Note! leave all other small partitions intact of the drive.

-----> "Important" while trying to make a clean install use "Skip" and don't insert ANY keys!! You will have to do this a second time while installing and choose "Skip" again. The copy of win10 Will get registered on itself once its booted!!

> Booted up once finished Clean Install and updated everything through windows update. You may need to reboot as you might have some errors on updates.
> Installed macrium reflect free again and done an image backup of my clean install. That's it!! :)

Now restored back to my dirty update using macrium reflect until i get my files and stuff that i want stored on another drive. ;)
Hope this helps you all, enjoy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.