Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
ProduKey shows generic key i.e 1 of the 4 generic keys mentioned here on MT.
Windows 10 Home - YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
Windows 10 Home SL- BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
Windows 10 Pro - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
Windows 10 Pro VL-MAK - QJNXR-7D97Q-K7WH4-RYWQ8-6MT6Y

The script shows a new key i.e not 1 of the above 4 keys.
So your saying you ran the script and your key is not one of the generic activation keys? If so then you have your own personal key you should save it and write it down if this is the case

Reactions: nissimezra
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
So your saying you ran the script and your key is not one of the generic activation keys? If so then you have your own personal key you should save it and write it down if this is the case
I dont know if its generic or not but atleast its not one of those 4 generic keys mentioned here.

So may be its a unique key. I have saved the key & the script too.

Are there more generic keys or just these 4 keys mentioned here?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
If you have a different one than whichever one is listed for your version of Windows 10 then you have a unique license.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
I dont know if its generic or not but atleast its not one of those 4 generic keys mentioned here.

So may be its a unique key. I have saved the key & the script too.

Are there more generic keys or just these 4 keys mentioned here?

Yeah i run the script and me too have another key just like you. I am going to save it somewhere just in case. Probably going to try installing win10 using that key as a test. I have done a clean installation without inserting a key and it got registered without any issues. That key is probably created for your hardware by MS.

It's the same ISO, not system specific as some have suggested (I believed that to be the case prior to launch).

Update:
  • Booted from Win10 Pro DVD
  • Deleted partitions during setup
  • Installed, did not activate; I'm getting the same 0xC004C003 error
  • Installed some drivers, let Windows Update run
  • slmgr /ato still reports key is blocked (reports generic key)
  • Entering any of my other keys reports other errors immediately (I don't have to change the key, as soon as the input box is full, it reports errors)
This simply isn't working as advertised. Honestly, if it weren't for DirectX gaming, I'd be totally linux right now.

I think on step two, that is where you have gone wrong. You must not delete all partitions, especially the small partitions as there might be some info stored on those small partitions. What you need to do is format only big partition and leave the small partitions intact.

Last edited by a moderator:

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
@Razor555
What Im gona do is install win 7 on a different hard drive and activate it, upgrade to win 10, save the key, delete everything clean install win 10, activate it, put my windows 7 hard disk back to see if it remain activate.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Here is a newer vbs script I used on Windows 8,took me a while to find it sifting through all my junk,it will actually say Windows 10 with your product key.I just tried it on a Sony Laptop I was upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 pro.

Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"
DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")

ProductName = "Product Name: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductName") & vbNewLine
ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey

If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
   Save ProductID
End if

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
    Const KeyOffset = 52
    isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
    Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
    i = 24
    Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Do
        Cur = 0
        X = 14
        Do
            Cur = Cur * 256
            Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
            Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
            Cur = Cur Mod 24
            X = X -1
        Loop While X >= 0
        i = i -1
        KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
        Last = Cur
    Loop While i >= 0
    If (isWin8 = 1) Then
        keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
        insert = "N"
        KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
        If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
    End If
    a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
    b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
    c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
    d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
    e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
    ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
End Function

Function Save(Data)
    Const ForWRITING = 2
    Const asASCII = 0
    Dim fso, f, fName, ts
    fName = "Windows Key.txt"
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    fso.CreateTextFile fName
    Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
    Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
    f.Writeline Data
    f.Close
End Function

It gives you the option to save it to your desktop in a notepad

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.08.03_22h13m15s_002_.png

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You must not delete all partitions, especially the small partitions as there might be some info stored on those small partitions. What you need to do is format only big partition and leave the small partitions intact.
That defeats the purpose of a "clean install". Per the Microsoft procedure I linked a while ago, this can be done and should work. There isn't anything on those partitions related to activation and if there were, that's a bad idea since partitions/data/disks go bad and need replacing. I also need the recovery partition they tacked at the end not to be there but at the beginning where it belongs.

It's been several hours and it still isn't activating. I have a guess: The BIOS key is a Win8.1 OEM key but I'm trying to install Win10 after the activated Win 7 Pro-to-Win 10 Pro I had installed. I'm going to call tomorrow to get this sorted out...maybe see if my theory is correct. Of course, the person on the other end of that phone call I'm sure only knows checklists/flowcharts and nothing about Windows or anything IT.

That new script shows the generic key.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014

I'm having the same thing.....

So Microsoft is handing out custom keys?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Here is a newer vbs script I used on Windows 8,took me a while to find it sifting through all my junk,it will actually say Windows 10 with your product key.I just tried it on a Sony Laptop I was upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 pro.

Code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Key = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\"
DigitalID = WshShell.RegRead(key & "DigitalProductId")

ProductName = "Product Name: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductName") & vbNewLine
ProductID = "Product ID: " & WshShell.RegRead(Key & "ProductID") & vbNewLine
ProductKey = "Installed Key: " & ConvertToKey(DigitalID)
ProductID = ProductName & ProductID & ProductKey

If vbYes = MsgBox(ProductId & vblf & vblf & "Save to a file?", vbYesNo + vbQuestion, "Windows Key Information") then
   Save ProductID
End if

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
    Const KeyOffset = 52
    isWin8 = (Key(66) \ 6) And 1
    Key(66) = (Key(66) And &HF7) Or ((isWin8 And 2) * 4)
    i = 24
    Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Do
        Cur = 0
        X = 14
        Do
            Cur = Cur * 256
            Cur = Key(X + KeyOffset) + Cur
            Key(X + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24)
            Cur = Cur Mod 24
            X = X -1
        Loop While X >= 0
        i = i -1
        KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
        Last = Cur
    Loop While i >= 0
    If (isWin8 = 1) Then
        keypart1 = Mid(KeyOutput, 2, Last)
        insert = "N"
        KeyOutput = Replace(KeyOutput, keypart1, keypart1 & insert, 2, 1, 0)
        If Last = 0 Then KeyOutput = insert & KeyOutput
    End If
    a = Mid(KeyOutput, 1, 5)
    b = Mid(KeyOutput, 6, 5)
    c = Mid(KeyOutput, 11, 5)
    d = Mid(KeyOutput, 16, 5)
    e = Mid(KeyOutput, 21, 5)
    ConvertToKey = a & "-" & b & "-" & c & "-" & d & "-" & e
End Function

Function Save(Data)
    Const ForWRITING = 2
    Const asASCII = 0
    Dim fso, f, fName, ts
    fName = "Windows Key.txt"
    Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    fso.CreateTextFile fName
    Set f = fso.GetFile(fName)
    Set f = f.OpenAsTextStream(ForWRITING, asASCII)
    f.Writeline Data
    f.Close
End Function

It gives you the option to save it to your desktop in a notepad

View attachment 67421
This script shows generic key mentioned here on MT.

MTUser

Level 4
Verified
Sep 11, 2014
@exterminator20 And you can use the key you get from the VBS Script to install the windows? Do you tested if it works?

EDIT: The VB script gives me a generic key xD

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Ok here is what i have tried.The Windows 7 VB script gives me my Windows 8.1 key.The windows 8 VB script I posted gives me the generic key listed. This PC was OEM Windows 8.1 Home license upgraded to Windows 10 Home.
I used the showkey app from here http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html
Which gave me this
Ashampoo_Snap_2015.08.04_09h50m06s_002_.png
This is one of the generic keys
When entering my old Windows 8 Home key in this app it shows it as invalid

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.08.04_09h59m15s_001_.png

Ashampoo_Snap_2015.08.04_10h03m39s_002_.png
Mine are OEM Licenses
Your guess is as good as mine I guess MS would know the answer

Last edited:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Update:
  • This isn't activating and Microsoft is non-responsive to this issue; so I've decided to just stick with Home edition and use EFS rather than BitLocker. This may be a more elegant solution anyway by not having to enter BitLocker password frequently
  • As a test, I used Paragon Rescue Kit to restore only the main Win10Pro Upgraded/Activated partition (rather than the entire disk with the system, EFI, and recovery partitions in messed up locations from the upgrade)
  • Win10 booted in auto-repair mode and it actually worked and remained activated. I still have bad juju from the Windows Update nVidia drivers. If you're doing the Win10 upgrade, I recommend disconnecting physically from your network since it will immediately download/install drivers and there's nothing you can do about it
That ShowKeyPlus program (nice) showed my OEM 8.1 key (BIOS), Win7Pro key (what I upgraded from), and the generic Win10Pro key

Reactions: Exterminator

Kardo Kristal

From Crystal Security
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jul 12, 2014
I think on step two, that is where you have gone wrong. You must not delete all partitions, especially the small partitions as there might be some info stored on those small partitions. What you need to do is format only big partition and leave the small partitions intact.

@Razor555 It should not be a problem. License (OEM type) is usually tied to motherboard (because it is rarely changed). If license is retail then you can upgrade motherboard.

Regards,
Kardo

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Ok here is what i have tried.The Windows 7 VB script gives me my Windows 8.1 key.The windows 8 VB script I posted gives me the generic key listed. This PC was OEM Windows 8.1 Home license upgraded to Windows 10 Home.
I used the showkey app from here http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/2577-showkey.html
Which gave me this
View attachment 67459
This is one of the generic keys
When entering my old Windows 8 Home key in this app it shows it as invalid

View attachment 67460

View attachment 67461
Mine are OEM Licenses
Your guess is as good as mine I guess MS would know the answer
Your screenshot shows key YTMG3... This is a generic key mentioned here on MT & ProduKey on my system shows this key too.
Your last screenshot shows key T49TD... Your previous script on my system shows this key too. I thought its my unique key but seems yours is same as mine.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Update:
  • Deleted all partitions
  • Installed Win 10 Home from DVD; with network unplugged (no updates)
  • Installed MY drivers, reboot with network cable plugged in
  • Win 10 was activated by the time I opened Settings
My theory is that OEM versions activate immediately; installing anything other than the OEM version and upgrading from that fails since it is still trying to use your BIOS OEM key rather than the key you upgraded from and blocking it because everyone who doesn't use Dell, Best Buy, et. al. must be a pirate.

I've decided to just stick with Home edition and use EFS
...except that EFS isn't supported in Home edition :mad:

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
as for me indeed it is a generic key... but dont care as long it works is fine for me
Captura de pantalla (30).png
by the way is there any other method to download the official iso images beyond the media creation tool? i had a bad experience with it (i was downloading a 5gb image and at 89% the program just close and i was unable to open it again)
PDT: the link provided redirects me to the media creation page

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
as for me indeed it is a generic key... but dont care as long it works is fine for me
View attachment 67611
by the way is there any other method to download the official iso images beyond the media creation tool? i had a bad experience with it (i was downloading a 5gb image and at 89% the program just close and i was unable to open it again)
PDT: the link provided redirects me to the media creation page
Whats your OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.