Windows 10 resource usage.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I trust more on Windows settings to optimize RAM than using 3rd party tools.
Cleanmem does not actually do anything, it merely asks Windows to do it the proper way, thus there is no lag like with other mem cleaners.
Memreduct is probably the best free one out there, but it does not have a digital signature, so not really suitable for MT members. :D
So how does CleanMem work?
CleanMem Works by calling a Windows API. CleanMem doesn't change the working set of a processes. It simply asks Windows to do all the work. So Windows does the trimming, the moving and manages everything. This is why there is never any crashes of programs and any performance hit to the system. To put it short CleanMem doesn't work against the Windows memory manager, it works with it :)

But will it effect my "RAM life" or any negative effect on my RAM health?
No, the RAM is used like any other time, like when you close the app and memory gets freed.

Are you using CleanMem?
Not anymore, I install it on systems with little RAM, like 2-4GB, but I used for years before (it helped), even a similar app called Cacheman since XP.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Cleanmem does not actually do anything, it merely asks Windows to do it the proper way, thus there is no lag like with other mem cleaners.
Memreduct is probably the best free one out there, but it does not have a digital signature, so not really suitable for MT members. :D

No, the RAM is used like any other time, like when you close the app and memory gets freed.

Not anymore, I install it on systems with little RAM, like 2-4GB, but I used for years before (it helped), even a similar app called Cacheman since XP.
Thanks for your information! :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How much RAM does win10 is using on your PC excluding all background processes consider only windows processes?
This should not be a concern unless you have less than 2GB of RAM, or a weak/old CPU that was not designed to handle a modern OS.
Webroot found Process Hacker as a threat on my PC.:eek:
Using software you are not familiar with can cause more issues.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I don't know if this is the right thread. I upgraded (again) a week ago to Win 10 v1809, figuring it had been out long enough for things to be fixed. I chose upgrade because we aren't home and I don't have access to my software or licenses. Anyway, all went well until Wednesday orThursday, when I noticed both browsers I use, Edge and Chrome, were taking a minute or more to open. My other software was just as slow. Checked and found RAM was hitting almost 90%, and CPU was in the middle 90% range.

This is a machine that ran roughly 30% RAM and minimal CPU use in Win 8.1. After trying various suggestions I found when I finally got a browser to work - like sludge - nothing brought the high useage down. This morning I gave up. I dug out my Macrium Reflect disc, hooked up my external HDD, and am back on Win 8.1, and everything is back to normal. I don't know if it was a Win 10 update, if there's a memory leak in Win 10, or what. All went well for 3 days and then the problem began, I think on Wednesday or Thursday. It confirms my feeling, when you've got something that works, don't bother with the next latest and greatest, because it probably isn't that great.

Reactions: jackwilli

jackwilli

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 1, 2019
I don't know if this is the right thread. I upgraded (again) a week ago to Win 10 v1809, figuring it had been out long enough for things to be fixed. I chose upgrade because we aren't home and I don't have access to my software or licenses. Anyway, all went well until Wednesday orThursday, when I noticed both browsers I use, Edge and Chrome, were taking a minute or more to open. My other software was just as slow. Checked and found RAM was hitting almost 90%, and CPU was in the middle 90% range.

This is a machine that ran roughly 30% RAM and minimal CPU use in Win 8.1. After trying various suggestions I found when I finally got a browser to work - like sludge - nothing brought the high useage down. This morning I gave up. I dug out my Macrium Reflect disc, hooked up my external HDD, and am back on Win 8.1, and everything is back to normal. I don't know if it was a Win 10 update, if there's a memory leak in Win 10, or what. All went well for 3 days and then the problem began, I think on Wednesday or Thursday. It confirms my feeling, when you've got something that works, don't bother with the next latest and greatest, because it probably isn't that great.
Reinstalling windows has fixed my problem. You don't need to downgrade to windows 10. You could try that once.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.