Windows 10 Taking too much RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@nissimezra : Its total memory usage are primarily same to Windows 7 and it shouldn't take a lot of memory usage despite of improvements in the performance.

Reactions: Nikos751

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
@nissimezra : According to my task manager it ranges from 30-40 MB which is very fine and tolerable for the performance, the disk percentage are zero including the CPU usage. Usually third party programs are the culprit to take the disk activity and memory high enough.
What are you referring to, saying 30-40MB?

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
i have seen it using 1 GB sometimes.

I have this consumes 80% of the time (or more):
s3aDFsw.png

but 1gb is not so much, empty RAM = Useless, xD

Dirty install (aka update).

Reactions: frogboy and kiric96

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I have this consumes 80% of the time (or more):.
s3aDFsw.png

but 1gb is not so much, empty RAM = Useless, xD

Dirty install (aka update).
I have also noticed this, but I 've not seen such memory suck.. I did a dirty install too but also a reset after that.. No change.
The time I am writing this, it consumes 27,5ΜΒ, earlier on, it was at about 200MB.

Reactions: nissimezra

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Many who don't like firefox find that they like the waterfox browser, maybe try that or upgrade your ram just a little.
You can also try removing many of the apps that MS thinks you need installed.
I found that with disabling telemetry that I incidentally freed up a small chunk of ram as well as subtracted from the amount of info MS was harvesting. PeAcE

Last edited:

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
1GB usage at idle? You have something going on there.

Performance is improved but don't overlook the added features and background processes.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I have same problem, consumption on average 45% of 4GB ram. Apps continue running in the background even off ... the ones that consume the Ram are:

firefox ~ 300mb
avast ~ 30mb
search ~ 35Mb
windows shell ~ 18,5mb
Hosts Services ~ 45MB
Working Area Manager ~ 18MB

ParSalian

Nov 1, 2015
Sorry for the up, but i am suffering the same problem. I arrived here, and read some tips/opinions. And I thought i must say something.

RAM is here for using it. Not using it is a waste. It's not as drive space, but it's supposed to be used. Ok. That's right. But it has its limits. You must keep a little amount of free RAM in order to work with system. It doesn't matters if you have 1Gb or 32Gb. If you don't let system breathe with some % of free RAM, system will go down its performance. Period. So the "buy more RAM" is a nice answer, but if you then start using your computer with more RAM and then memory gets filled again, what you'd do? It's important to understand *why* system is doing this weird consumption.

Have you tried to see the memory use in terms of % instead Mbs? it's clearer. You find System process taking a 40% of RAM easily.

On other page I found somebody talking about the "new" approach for windows pagination. Something Apple OS and Linux are doing since few years ago. At first sight, a nice idea: instead using pagination file on disk, windows is compressing this "long-time-not-used" memory in System process RAM space. It takes a few CPU cicles more if you can reuse it later, but the overall speed inprovement is huge, as it retrieves data from RAM and not disk. Nice idea. But bad implementation: if this makes system process to eat so much RAM, you end filling the RAM and then system needs to paginate... and you find you have the TWO bottlenecks: the few more cicles to compres/uncompress PLUS the retrieving from disk.

So that's why system eats RAM even when you close all apps. because it is saving other processes RAM info, just in case you want to reopen them.

Maybe on systems with lots of RAM it's great. But my 4Gb system is hurt. Open Windows, open a browser. Yup. Memory full.

Reactions: kiric96

kiric96

Level 19
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2014
Sorry for the up, but i am suffering the same problem. I arrived here, and read some tips/opinions. And I thought i must say something.

RAM is here for using it. Not using it is a waste. It's not as drive space, but it's supposed to be used. Ok. That's right. But it has its limits. You must keep a little amount of free RAM in order to work with system. It doesn't matters if you have 1Gb or 32Gb. If you don't let system breathe with some % of free RAM, system will go down its performance. Period. So the "buy more RAM" is a nice answer, but if you then start using your computer with more RAM and then memory gets filled again, what you'd do? It's important to understand *why* system is doing this weird consumption.

Have you tried to see the memory use in terms of % instead Mbs? it's clearer. You find System process taking a 40% of RAM easily.

On other page I found somebody talking about the "new" approach for windows pagination. Something Apple OS and Linux are doing since few years ago. At first sight, a nice idea: instead using pagination file on disk, windows is compressing this "long-time-not-used" memory in System process RAM space. It takes a few CPU cicles more if you can reuse it later, but the overall speed inprovement is huge, as it retrieves data from RAM and not disk. Nice idea. But bad implementation: if this makes system process to eat so much RAM, you end filling the RAM and then system needs to paginate... and you find you have the TWO bottlenecks: the few more cicles to compres/uncompress PLUS the retrieving from disk.

So that's why system eats RAM even when you close all apps. because it is saving other processes RAM info, just in case you want to reopen them.

Maybe on systems with lots of RAM it's great. But my 4Gb system is hurt. Open Windows, open a browser. Yup. Memory full.

and finally someone who understandme... good point dude after all i refrained to upgrade to windows 10 because of that... well lets hope that the coming service pack will help

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.