Windows 10 Updates - Are they reliable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread author
Today, in another schizophrenic episode, Windows Update reinstalled all of the already installed drivers on Windows 10:

Cap1.PNG

Cap2.PNG

Cap3.PNG

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I am waiting what will happen on my computers.:unsure::emoji_pray:

Reactions: brambedkar59

Thread author
Feature updates may re-install drivers or you probably disabled auto-updates and Windows undone your changes. Also could be because new driver rules for Intel products on Windows 10.
This was announced a week ago:
+ Intel - Windows Modern Drivers for Windows 10 (November 2018)

Nope. On clean, default 1803 VM. Besides, that announcement was specific to Intel drivers. Sorry.

Not only that, the latest 1803 Windows Updates were installed on multiple identical VMs on separate identical systems, and what is shown only happened on 1 of the 3 VMs.

It's just typical Microsoft Windows Update weirdness at-work.

Last edited by a moderator:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
1544189257291.jpeg
Windows update seems to be pretty buggy especially in v1809. Yesterday it tried to install the same update twice (KB4469342 which was shown successful earlier) but "winver" said it was a lie. Same thing happened earlier when it tried to install KB4467708 3 times after it was installed successfully in the first attempt.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I get the "failed to install" thing but the update/s go thru and display properly via Settings and winver. If the update shows as "failed" the first time, a restart makes it "successful." The 12/5 cumulative showed a "failure" with the wrong date but then showed "successful" without my doing anything extra. It must have gone thru because the drag-image issue I had with using Edge-to-imgur. is now gone. v.1809

update thing.PNG

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
1544280703351.png

That's an unexpected result (at this point in time).

I've only really had one significant issue on one computer with Microsoft updates, but I would have not have guessed that about 74% had no real problems.

But of course, this is a tiny sample size.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if the update shows as "failed" the first time, a restart makes it "successful."
I remember that this is a known issue, and Microsoft itself informs you about it, if you read the fine print when you receive updates.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.