Windows 10 Upgrade Reportedly Starting Automatically on Windows 7 PCs

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It’s no secret that Microsoft is quite aggressive with its Windows 10 upgrade campaign for Windows 7 and 8.1 computers, but new reports coming from users across the world reveal that the new operating system is installed even if they haven’t specifically allowed it to.

A post on reddit that has received quite a lot of attention in the last few hours reveals that “Windows 7 computers are being reported as automatically starting the Windows 10 upgrade without permission,” with several users confirming in the comment section that this is indeed the case.

And yet, there are several things to be taken into consideration when saying that the Windows 10 installer is kicked off without user permission.

First of all, starting this year Microsoft is offering Windows 10 as a recommended update, so when you install new patches, the new OS is by default selected too. Since this report comes only a couple of days after this month’s Patch Tuesday, the chances are that these users left the Windows 10 upgrade selected in the Windows Update list, so it’s not happening entirely without their permission.

Users will be “clearly prompted whether to continue or not”
What’s odd, however, is that even if Windows 10 is indeed marked as a recommended update, it should still prompt you to begin the install, so users are still supposed to be allowed to choose whether to deploy it or not. Terry Myerson, head of the OS group at Microsoft, warned in October that this could happen though.

“Depending upon your Windows Update settings, this may cause the upgrade process to automatically initiate on your device. Before the upgrade changes the OS of your device, you will be clearly prompted to choose whether or not to continue,” he said.

Despite all of these, however, all users who are upgraded to Windows 10, either optionally or automatically, have 30 days to downgrade to their previous version of the OS. So if you don’t like Windows 10 and don’t plan to stick with it, use this option and return to Windows 7 or 8.1 and remember to always check twice before installing new updates. You never know what’s in there.

The old adage "Read the fine print" especially before you click something!

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Agreed 100% on this. I could never go back to a previous version.

H

hjlbx

I know if I was on W7 and spent a lot of time and effort crafting my system - and then W10 forced update screwed everything up - I would be more angry than a hornet...

W10 smashed one of my W8.1 systems - and nothing has been able to correct it because of hardware issues.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I know if I was on W7 and spent a lot of time and effort crafting my system - and then W10 forced update screwed everything up - I would be more angry than a hornet...

W10 smashed one of my W8.1 systems - and nothing has been able to correct it because of hardware issues.
Did w10 break some HW because of bad driver updates?
Great marketing by Microsoft as always.

'If you can't get 'em to join you, force 'em to.'
-Microsoft 2016
I got rid of this problem before MS did anything, yeah I switched to w10.

Reactions: frogboy
H

hjlbx

@Vasudev

W10 not compatible with chipset\bios and HDD drivers; it is OEM AMD system. System essentially worthless now except for occasional malware testing.

During W10 upgrade, system crashed, didn't recognize OEM key, system very slow and unresponsive, etc.

It was a nightmare - and I have never been able to fix it.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

artifice22

Level 2
Verified
Apr 11, 2015
I disabled Windows Update long time ago and use Qihoo patcher tool to do updates no more dodgy updates.
Smart move. :cool:

Microsoft is an amazing company, no doubt.

But in all honesty, their marketing is absolute crap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: frogboy

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I agree with others here whom would prefer not being strong armed into experiencing even a great OS which reminds me how unnecessary it is to force children to eat something they would have loved anyway. It also speaks of what is wrong with our world, and how even good things can be obscured when presented poorly. (Stinkers..);)

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Why don't they understand that not everyone wants Windows 10?
Probably because they thought everyone would just jump to 10 because it's free however when that plan didn't work they apparently had to go to a plan B.Problem is they probably didn't have a plan B and their crack marketing staff came up with another idea which appears to have backfired terribly.I really don't think the telemetry is for spying purposes but more for integration among multiple devices to have computing,email,gaming platforms,etc. synced to one OS.
Personally the privacy paranoia has caused mass hysteria but the reality is almost every app or program nowadays wants or has some kind of data collection.
Ending their support for other operating systems and Linux looming in the shadows has backed them into a corner.
As for bugs and incompatibilities with drivers and hardware,IMO those companies have to share some of the blame.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Probably because they thought everyone would just jump to 10 because it's free however when that plan didn't work they apparently had to go to a plan B.Problem is they probably didn't have a plan B and their crack marketing staff came up with another idea which appears to have backfired terribly.I really don't think the telemetry is for spying purposes but more for integration among multiple devices to have computing,email,gaming platforms,etc. synced to one OS.
Personally the privacy paranoia has caused mass hysteria but the reality is almost every app or program nowadays wants or has some kind of data collection.
Ending their support for other operating systems and Linux looming in the shadows has backed them into a corner.
As for bugs and incompatibilities with drivers and hardware,IMO those companies have to share some of the blame.
This was very well said.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.