Windows 10 & Using Defrag Software & A few more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serious Noize

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Hello all, I have had various versions of Windows over the years. All the while the defrag software for the most part in earlier versions of Windows seemed to lack and be out performed even by freeware software's out there at the time.

First I want to say that this thread is not meant to knock or rave about any particular defrag software at all. I am just asking questions and looking for more information on others experience with such things rather than reading a book on the subject.

I purchased a Dell XPS 8700 PC, it came with 8GB's of ram, first thing I did was upgrade it to 16GB's, and to be honest with you, for what I do on PC I don't seem to get no where close to 8GB's ram, which honestly that's really great for me because I know I have that extra ram as time goes on. I don't think it's a waste having the extra 8GB's of ram, and to be fair, I don't check every single program that I use for memory usage all the time if ever.

I'm mentioning Ram for a reason so please bare with me.

Over the years using previous versions of Windows dating back to 3.1 etc.... other versions I found that the built in Windows Defrag just wasn't that good. So I used other defrag softwares, everything from freeware programs like JKDefrag, Smart Defrag, O&O Defrag, I tried them all over the years, you name it, I've tried it.

For the most part using previous versions of Windows using third party defrag programs they seemed to far exceed the normal STOCK WINDOWS DEFRAG program.

I ended up settling on using Raxco's Perfect Disk Pro, it had a lot of features and just simply worked and seemed to speed things up for me on every version of Windows I used.

So Naturally when I got Windows 10, I purchased a license for the new Raxco Perfect Disk Pro and thought everything was as it should be.

UNTIL TODAY.........

I had read about how Windows 10 Defrag had improved, I thought I would give it a try today and I was really impressed. The thing is With the Perfect Disk Pro I had the Stealth Setup to run in the background when I wasn't using my PC and on a Schedule.

So what I am getting at is, I used Windows 10 Defrag today instead of my normal Perfect Disk Pro and everything seems faster now. It surprised me to the point that I completely removed Perfect Disk Pro.

One thing about Perfect Disk Pro is I had it setup to run with the stealth technology when the PC is not in use and set to run on schedule, which the more I think about it : "Just because it is not using memory in the normal sense of ways, because it was running as a service would that not clog up PC speed?".

I've decided to stick with Windows 10 Defrag, my settings are set on a nightly basis in task scheduler using the Windows defrag commands /H/O/X. Is that bad or good? I know some will say that might be a bit too extreme, but I record music with my PC and have files moving around on my PC on a daily basis regularly. I have this task setup to run when I am not using my PC, so I set the /H to raise the priority /O to perform the proper optimization for the media and /X to consolidate the free space.

I want it at optimal performance 24/7 after it runs. LOL, I might kill my hard drive, and I should have mentioned to begin with it's just a standard HDD and not a SSD hard drive.

This brings me to another question, and one I think that might not be frequently noticed. There are softwares out there, if you run Task Manager and look at what is being in use by your PC, and you look at the MEMORY USAGE you see there isn't much memory usage being used there by some softwares running as a service in the background. Some softwares if they are running as a service even though they aren't using any memory could they not really slow down your PC because it's having to go through them to rectify the action being called for?

Or that is, I get that some services don't use memory 24/7 but the fact that they are there waiting on call if you have a lot of them would they not cause a slow down in performance of your Windows 10 PC?

As for using Windows 10, I've turned off a lot of those notifications in Windows 10 settings, and a few other things that I know I don't use and never will use, or that is I've optimized my PC service wise from an operating system standpoint, but it occurred to me today that some installed software might be running services in the background that I hadn't thought of before. So I done some checking and found several things running in the background as services that weren't using any memory but yet they were there running, so I removed them since I didn't use them, or that is uninstalled them and their services.

I know there are threads/blogs/subjects written about such stuff, but I wanted to hear anyones intake on these subjects.

For now I am very happy with Windows 10 Defrag and the settings and I can tell a serious boost in performance using my PC.

I've used PC for years, and I'm not here providing information, I am asking questions because like a lot of people out there, in the old days you needed to do a lot of things to your PC and add things to it to keep it running well, nowday's it's not so much the case.

Sorry for such a long message, and lots to discuss but I look forward to anyone insight on these things I have questions about here.

Last edited:

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Just do what works best for you - (over time you will notice what's right for your computer). (y)
P.S. - And you do not Defrag SSD (if you have) ;) :)

Serious Noize

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Just do what works best for you - (over time you will notice what's right for your computer). (y)
P.S. - And you do not Defrag SSD (if you have) ;) :)

Thank you for the reply and information. I know you don't defrag a SSD but others reading this might not know, I should have mentioned that. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll be 100% honest, I've reinstalled my PC with Windows 10 at least 20 times or more trying to figure out : "WHAT HAPPENED???".

And the one thing I have come to figure out is that what really happened was for the most part is I was using REGISTRY CLEANERS. I use CCLEANER's registry cleaner now, because it simply removes registry entries that are no longer addressed to anything anymore. So it's safe "I HOPE".

I've tried every registry cleaner there is and they all cause problems with Windows 10 and the software I use in the end.

Old school thinking was "You need to fix your registry because your PC is slow", one reason was the PC was really slow in the old days 20 or so years ago and the registry made a big difference as to what your PC was addressing with it's usage I suspect. At least that's my theory, someone please correct me if I am wrong because that's the whole purpose of this thread, and that is to learn what to do.

The breaking point for me was not being able to use my DAW = Digital Audio Workstation or recording software which is what I use my computer for the most.
I started having multiple crashes over and over trying to record. I followed all the advice of everyone, I couldn't figure out why all these stellar programs that everyone mentioned "Which I wont mention here" just weren't keeping things stable. What they were doing was deleting registry entries that were important to the stability of my system. So, Long story short all I use now is CCleaner, and Windows Defrag. I don't need any software to run services in the background phoning home and such things. Windows 10 has enough Phone Home stuff already, and yes I know you can turn those things off. I've turned off all that I feel are relevant to me.

Either way, thank you for the reply, and information. I know I covered a little bit more than what you were addressing with your reply, but I thought it would explain things a little better.

Thanks again!

Reactions: L S and frogboy
L

Local Host

Windows Defrag tool should be more than enough, not to mention it can tell the difference between HDD and SSD and properly optimize both. Common misconception to believe you shouldn't use the Windows Defrag tool on a SSD, cause it will detect it and TRIM it properly (not defrag).

Using third-party tools to compare is also inaccurate, cause each Defrag tool uses it's own algorithm.

There are lots of services in Windows and disabling them can cause more trouble than it's worth. This because most services are connected to each other in a tree, you disable one and affect the others.

Knowing what to disable in a way that won't affect your daily usage is key!

CCleaner is a good overall tool despise Microsoft advise against it, don't let the recent fiasco scare you off cause it was targeted malware (not to mention it only affected x86 systems, most people use x64).

Nowadays Windows is mostly self-sustained and can maintain itself stable and fast, unlike the old days that needed constant maintenance, you shouldn't worry to much.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Or that is, I get that some services don't use memory 24/7 but the fact that they are there waiting on call if you have a lot of them would they not cause a slow down in performance of your Windows 10 PC?
Windows 10 stops services, which are not in use, even if they are set to Automatic.

I've tried every registry cleaner there is and they all cause problems with Windows 10 and the software I use in the end.
What they were doing was deleting registry entries that were important to the stability of my system.
That is, what exceptions are for and why reg cleaners create registry backups, so you can easily restore.

I've decided to stick with Windows 10 Defrag, my settings are set on a nightly basis in task scheduler using the Windows defrag commands /H/O/X. Is that bad or good?
Defragmenting daily causes unnecessary stress for the HDD and makes virtually no difference.
I defragment after Windows updates at boot using "defrag c: /u", it consolidates free space as well.

What's New in Defrag for Windows Server 2012/2012R2

Serious Noize

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 13, 2014
Windows 10 stops services, which are not in use, even if they are set to Automatic.

That is, what exceptions are for and why reg cleaners create registry backups, so you can easily restore.

Defragmenting daily causes unnecessary stress for the HDD and makes virtually no difference.
I defragment after Windows updates at boot using "defrag c: /u", it consolidates free space as well.

What's New in Defrag for Windows Server 2012/2012R2

Thanks, that's good information to know. For me it's too time consuming and risk to try and find what to exclude and what not to exclude with registry cleaners.

Reactions: L S

L S

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
Thank you for the reply and information. I know you don't defrag a SSD but others reading this might not know, I should have mentioned that. Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll be 100% honest, I've reinstalled my PC with Windows 10 at least 20 times or more trying to figure out : "WHAT HAPPENED???".

And the one thing I have come to figure out is that what really happened was for the most part is I was using REGISTRY CLEANERS. I use CCLEANER's registry cleaner now, because it simply removes registry entries that are no longer addressed to anything anymore. So it's safe "I HOPE".

Old school thinking was "You need to fix your registry because your PC is slow", one reason was the PC was really slow in the old days 20 or so years ago and the registry made a big difference as to what your PC was addressing with it's usage I suspect. At least that's my theory, someone please correct me if I am wrong because that's the whole purpose of this thread, and that is to learn what to do.

The breaking point for me was not being able to use my DAW = Digital Audio Workstation or recording software which is what I use my computer for the most.
I started having multiple crashes over and over trying to record. I followed all the advice of everyone, I couldn't figure out why all these stellar programs that everyone mentioned "Which I wont mention here" just weren't keeping things stable. What they were doing was deleting registry entries that were important to the stability of my system. So, Long story short all I use now is CCleaner, and Windows Defrag. I don't need any software to run services in the background phoning home and such things. Windows 10 has enough Phone Home stuff already, and yes I know you can turn those things off. I've turned off all that I feel are relevant to me.

Either way, thank you for the reply, and information. I know I covered a little bit more than what you were addressing with your reply, but I thought it would explain things a little better.

Thanks again!

I also use CCleaner / CCleaner Registry Cleaner - and it is fine - it will be fine - And the Registry is place where you need to be very careful with .
But @Serious Noize as you say : the only tools you use is CCleaner & Windows Defragment and Optimize = And that's good !
And as @TairikuOkami also say in the comments : registry cleaners create registry backups, so you can easily restore. = And this is very useful / important !

Now ....... it's very strange to me why you needed to reinstall your PC with Windows 10 = 20 times or more ? .......
....... Maybe you need to check your Hard Drive for Errors alongside Defrag ! ....... And Maybe (just maybe) That Software what you Use for Recording ~ "DAW = Digital Audio Workstation or Recording Software" maybe this Program is the so-called "problem" with in your computer & maybe this Software Conflict with some other Software on your Computer and that may be the issue - NOT The Registry Cleaners, Utilities & Optimizers.

....... Good Luck to You ! :) ;) (y)

Reactions: TairikuOkami
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.