Windows 10 Version 1903 may launch with a Major Bug

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
A bug potentially causing Windows 10 to crash with a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) when running certain games with anti-cheat software might remain unresolved for some titles when the public rollout begins.

Microsoft first acknowledged the issue in Windows 10 preview builds earlier this year, revealing that some devices could get a GSOD (Green Screen of Death and the sibling of Blue Screen of Death in the Windows Insider program) when running certain games with anti-cheat software.

The bigger problem, however, was that Microsoft never disclosed the games that might be impacted by the bug, and while users discovered the hard way that the BattlEye anti-cheat software used in Fortnite was affected, others caused fatal crashes too.

Earlier this week, this anti-cheat software bug was finally resolved, and Microsoft lifted an upgrade block for devices that might have been impacted.

More concerning is that because the bug is related to third-party software, only the companies that Microsoft worked with released fixes, while others are yet to do so. In other words, while crashes no longer occur when running some games, they still happen when launching others.

“The block is being removed because the majority of games impacted by the issue have released updates for their games. So most gamers will no longer be impacted,” Brandon LeBlanc, senior program manager on the Windows Insider Program Team, said.

Risky approach
When asked about what happens with other games that didn’t receive the fix, LeBlanc explained that a crash is indeed possible.

“If they haven't been fixed. A lot of this deals with third parties and I cannot speak on their behalf. The team on our side has told me a.) the majority of games that would hit this issue have issued a fix and b.) the block has been removed,” he explained.

Without a doubt, this is a very risky approach, as most users would just believe that the crash is caused by Windows itself and not by third-party software. And after the October 2018 Update fiasco, Microsoft certainly does not afford such a fiasco.

One approach that Microsoft could embrace in order to avoid shipping a Windows 10 feature update that could crash when launching certain games is to block the update from being offered to devices running unsupported titles. But then again, this involves Microsoft flagging all affected games and alerting users of what exactly is happening, an approach that the company seems to be avoiding right now.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Where is Microsoft QA test team when we need them? Oh wait, Microsoft doesn't have one when consumers are the QA test team.

L

Local Host

Quite honestly if Microsoft waited for everyone to update their Anti-Cheats, they wouldn't release the Update this year. So they should release the Update and force the lazy developers hands.
Where is Microsoft QA test team when we need them? Oh wait, Microsoft doesn't have one when consumers are the QA test team.
If they didn't had a QA Department they wouldn't be able to release Updates in the first place, lots of builds never reach the general public nor Insiders.

Microsoft not having a QA Department is nothing more than a myth, a ridiculous one at best.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Quite honestly if Microsoft waited for everyone to update their Anti-Cheats, they wouldn't release the Update this year. So they should release the Update and force the lazy developers hands.

If they didn't had a QA Department they wouldn't be able to release Updates in the first place, lots of builds never reach the general public nor Insiders.

Microsoft not having a QA Department is nothing more than a myth, a ridiculous one at best.

They will going to release update even they don't have QA department because us consumers are like QA department to Microsoft. If Microsoft does have a QA department than the major 1809 issue where user files got deleted or moved to somewhere else should be discovered before release to the public.

L

Local Host

They will going to release update even they don't have QA department because us consumers are like QA department to Microsoft. If Microsoft does have a QA department than the major 1809 issue where user files got deleted or moved to somewhere else should be discovered before release to the public.
That makes no sense, as we talking milions of devices and configurations, not to mention update issues aren't exclusive to Windows 10.

The files being moved, was all due to user error. Only users that misused KFR were affected, everyone else who properly used KFR including myself weren't affected.

So blaming Microsoft for users misuse of a feature is again, ridiculous.

Looking at the numbers the majorly of users haven't had a single issue with Windows 10 Updates, but people rather waste time whining about the minory like Microsoft could do anything about the milions of different systems and configurations (compared to previous versions of Windows, we've had less problems with Updates).

Like I said before, Microsoft still has a QA Department, you don't see even half of the builds Microsoft tests. They pretty much already have the next feature update baking for at least 2 months now.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
That makes no sense, as we talking milions of devices and configurations, not to mention update issues aren't exclusive to Windows 10.

The files being moved, was all due to user error. Only users that misused KFR were affected, everyone else who properly used KFR including myself weren't affected.

So blaming Microsoft for users misuse of a feature is again, ridiculous.

Looking at the numbers the majorly of users haven't had a single issue with Windows 10 Updates, but people rather waste time whining about the minory like Microsoft could do anything about the milions of different systems and configurations (compared to previous versions of Windows, we've had less problems with Updates).

Like I said before, Microsoft still has a QA Department, you don't see even half of the builds Microsoft tests.

How it is user error when there are many people affected 1809 user files deleted/moved that Microsoft has to pull out the update to figure out what it is going on. These people did not have this issue on 1803 but begin to experience user files deleted/moved on 1809. Microsoft probably know this issue in the first place but still push out the update anyway. Nice QA testing that user files got moved/deleted. Heck, I am afraid of updating my PC to 1809 when I am still on 1803 at that time.

Every Microsoft update causes smooth running PC into sluggish running PC.

Last edited:
L

Local Host

How it is user error when there are many people affected 1809 user files deleted/moved that Microsoft has to pull out the update to figure out what it is going on. These people did not have this issue on 1803. Microsoft probably know this issue in the first place but still push out the update anyway. Nice QA testing that user files got moved/deleted. Heck, I am afraid of updating my PC to 1809 when I am still on 1803 at that time.

Every Microsoft update causes smooth running PC into sluggish running PC.
Define many? Why would anyone make a post saying "everything is working fine"? People make posts to ask for help, using that as metric is...

Then we have the media that like to escalate Windows 10 Issues for some reason, they have nothing better to talk about.

Plus it was already confirmed it was a user error, and actually affected an extremely small percentage of the Windows 10 user base.

Using KFR to redirect folders, then using the old folders pretty much shows a user doesn't know how KFR is supposed to be used. Microsoft pretty much fixed an old bug, as the old folders weren't even supposed to be there.

Microsoft even went as far as replace the links in the library, and people still managed to screw up and use the old folders.

Reactions: roger_m

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Define many? Why would anyone make a post saying "everything is working fine"? People make posts to ask for help, using that as metric is...

Then we have the media that like to escalate Windows 10 Issues for some reason, they have nothing better to talk about.

Plus it was already confirmed it was a user error, and actually affected an extremely small percentage of the Windows 10 user base.

Using KFR to redirect folders, then using the old folders pretty much shows a user doesn't know how KFR is supposed to be used. Microsoft pretty much fixed an old bug, as the old folders weren't even supposed to be there.

Microsoft even went as far as replace the links in the library, and people still managed to screw up and use the old folders.

1) Define many? Why would anyone make a post saying "everything is working fine"? People make posts to ask for help, using that as metric is...

A lot of people. That's why Microsoft pull out the update. There is nothing wrong making a post saying " everything is working fine" to let people know that you don't have any issue at all.

2) Plus it was already confirmed it was a user error, and actually affected an extremely small percentage of the Windows 10 user base.

If it is user error than why Microsoft pull out the update instead making the blame to the user?

Extremely small percentage is still a lot. I wouldn't call that an extremely small percentages.

If this car manufacturer produces this car model and only 5% out of 100% of owners experience this issue than should the car manufacturer address this issue? Of course they would or else there will be a lawsuit coming.

If this 5% owners experience this issue and the issue is consumer end than the manufacturer would not address this issue.

3) Using KFR to redirect folders, then using the old folders pretty much shows a user doesn't know how KFR is supposed to be used. Microsoft pretty much fixed an old bug, as the old folders weren't even supposed to be there.

But this issue occur after updating to 1809 from previous build.

4) Microsoft even went as far as replace the links in the library, and people still managed to screw up and use the old folders.

Microsoft should not touch user folders and filers. When user files and folders got mess up, it is Microsoft fault because the only thing Microsoft should be touching is the OS itself.

5) This issue got wide spreaded that a lot of users like me feared to update to 1809 when my 1803 running fine.

6) When a lot of people got this same issue, you know it has to be update not the end user OS configs.

Company screwing up and fanboys are defending it. It is like Apple IPhone 4 LTE losing signal when consumers held it, and Apple response it " You are holding the phone wrong." then offer a fix by spending $20 - $40 on an Apple ugly case to fix this issue.

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
...like to escalate Windows 10 Issues for some reason, they have nothing better to talk about.

I was thinking about how to delay the Windows update. And I was thinking very hard.

And I dropped my beer.

It broke.... broken glass everywhere. Dark beer splashed everywhere..

Microsoft's fault. Not mine.

How could it be my fault? I would not have been thinking about Windows update if it didn't exist. And it was created by Microsoft.

If Microsoft didn't exist, there would be no broken glass, there would be no beer mess everywhere.

This is not user error, as I drink beer just fine -- when not thinking about Windows Update.

Their fault. Not mine!

Thank you.

L

Local Host

A lot of people. That's why Microsoft pull out the update. There is nothing wrong making a post saying " everything is working fine" to let people know that you don't have any issue at all.
Microsoft didn't pull the update because "ALOT" of people where having issues, on the contrary, they pulled the update to help casual users.

In fact the Update was only pushed to the automatic channel last month, meaning anyone who updated to 1809 did so by triggering it manually.
If it is user error than why Microsoft pull out the update instead making the blame to the user?
It's called damage control, so users misuse a feature and end up losing files, and you just ignore them cause it was their fault? Talk about PR nightmare.
Extremely small percentage is still a lot. I wouldn't call that an extremely small percentages.
In this case you not even talking hundreds, Microsoft simply fixed a bug that was reported years ago (I was tired of seeing duplicate folders in my library).
Company screwing up and fanboys are defending it. It is like Apple IPhone 4 LTE losing signal when consumers held it, and Apple response it " You are holding the phone wrong." then offer a fix by spending $20 - $40 on an Apple ugly case to fix this issue.
Now you resort to petty insults, fanboys?
I'm the exact opposite of a fanboy, I deal with facts and I'm always available to learn, I don't care about brands, and right now you spreading hate and misinformation.

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m and Burrito

Janl1992l

Level 14
Verified
Well-known
Feb 14, 2016
Anyone can confirm that the wd exclusions does not work anymore? I get false positive detection on folders that are whitelisted after the update. that one realy annoys me.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Nothing to see here, guys. Just Microsoft releasing another alpha of Windows 10.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Microsoft didn't pull the update because "ALOT" of people where having issues, on the contrary, they pulled the update to help casual users.

In fact the Update was only pushed to the automatic channel last month, meaning anyone who updated to 1809 did so by triggering it manually.

It's called damage control, so users misuse a feature and end up losing files, and you just ignore them cause it was their fault? Talk about PR nightmare.

In this case you not even talking hundreds, Microsoft simply fixed a bug that was reported years ago (I was tired of seeing duplicate folders in my library).

Now you resort to petty insults, fanboys?
I'm the exact opposite of a fanboy, I deal with facts and I'm always available to learn, I don't care about brands, and right now you spreading hate and misinformation.

1) Microsoft didn't pull the update because "ALOT" of people where having issues, on the contrary, they pulled the update to help casual users.

They pulled out the update to prevent further damage. They know they screwed up, and us consumers have evidence for it.

2) It's called damage control, so users misuse a feature and end up losing files, and you just ignore them cause it was their fault? Talk about PR nightmare.

How is it user misuse a feature and end up losing files before updating to 1809? If my PC running smooth on 1803 but it begins to show a lot of problem after updating to 1809.
Does this mean it is my end that is causing problems? No, it is Microsoft end. If it causing problems, it should do it before updating to 1809.

In the 1809 user files got deleted/moved case issue does not show in 1803, but a lot of people reported after they updated to 1809.

3) In this case you not even talking hundreds, Microsoft simply fixed a bug that was reported years ago (I was tired of seeing duplicate folders in my library).

What a nice excuse to fix old bugs reported years ago but not new bugs. Old and new bugs don't matter because these bugs has to be fixed period.

4) Now you resort to petty insults, fanboys?

I am not Microsoft fanboy. I am speaking the truth and not spreading hate and misinformation. You are the one spreading hate and misinformation and act like a fanboy defending Microsoft. You are blaming people that got their files deleted/moved after updating to 1809 when this issue does not occur in 1803.

If this is the user end than how come Microsoft doesn't response to it? That's right, they know they got caught for not testing the product properly.

So in your case, if my 1803 running smooth but it begins to show a lot of issues after updating to 1809, this is my end? What?

1809 user files got deteled/moved after updating to 1809 without even touch a feature at all.

It is funny that you defend Microsoft that is screwing up in testing the product properly. It's like you are blaming consumers holding IPhone 4 wrong that it is losing LTE signal when the fact is the company screw up in design IPhone 4.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
18362.1 over here, everything is working fine on my side... :oops:
Disabled every preinstalled app except Photos, Mail, Search and Store. O&O ShutUp10, and WPD for privacy tweaks, and disabled some unneeded services.
Pentium 4560, 8GB RAM, SATA SSD

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
18362.1 over here, everything is working fine on my side... :oops:
Have you noticed any stuttering? Clean installed 1809 worked way better for me.
It is not so bad after tweaking, 48 processes running, but it just does not feel right.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    352.4 KB · Views: 352

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Have you noticed any stuttering? Clean installed 1809 worked way better for me.
It is not so bad after tweaking, 48 processes running, but it just does not feel right.

I haven't had any major issues on 1809 but it seems to have a lot of annoying little bugs. Just now when I switched user accounts, Edge froze. It would let me close and open tabs but I couldn't click on anything in the windows. I can't wait for 1903 or 1904 or 1984 or whatever they call it. It has to be better than this version.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Did you try disabling it?
I was actually running without it for the first few days, until I realized, that the beta version works, for free. :eek: I need bigger icons, with my eyesight.

It has to be better than this version.
You wish, well so did I. :emoji_expressionless: But to be honest, MS did fix some issues, Start is more separated from the rest of the system, it even works on my setup, previously I had to restart Start's shell to get it working. But Edge seems to be the same old, not the new Chromium based. But it is not final yet.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.