Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft has released the optional KB5011563 cumulative update preview for Windows 11, with fixes for stop errors triggering blue screens of death (BSOD) and other issues.

This preview update is part of Microsoft's scheduled March 2022 monthly "C" updates, allowing Windows 11 users to test the upcoming fixes released on April 12th as part of next month's Patch Tuesday.

Unlike regular Patch Tuesday Windows updates, the scheduled "C" non-security preview releases are optional. They're only used to test bug fixes and performance improvements ahead of the general release, so they do not provide security updates.

To install the KB5011563 update, you have to go to Settings > Windows Update and manually 'Check for updates.' Since it's an optional update, Windows will not install it until you click the 'Download now' button.

You can also manually download and install this month's Windows 11 cumulative update preview from the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Blue screen fixes and more

As mentioned in the beginning, today's Windows 11 optional update highlights are fixes for two BSODs triggered by stop errors in DirectX and the SMB Server.

As Microsoft explained, KB5011563 "addresses a stop error (0xD1, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) in the DirectX kernel component" and another issue "that causes stop error 0x1E in the SMB Server (srv2.sys)."

The update also adds support for displaying up to three high-priority toast notifications simultaneously, a feature specifically designed for apps that send notifications for calls, reminders, or alarms using Windows notifications.

It also fixes an issue that could cause Microsoft OneDrive files to lose focus after being renamed and pressing the Enter key.

After deploying KB5011563, Windows 11 will return the corresponding Settings page when searching for the word "widgets."
What's new in the Windows 11 KB5011563 update

After installing today's non-security cumulative update preview, Windows 11 will have its build number changed to 22000.593.

The Windows 11 KB5011563 cumulative update preview includes 26 quality improvements and fixes, including:
  • Addresses an issue that causes SystemSettings.exe to stop working.
  • Addresses an issue that increases the startup time for Windows. This issue occurs because a UI thread in a networking API stops responding when a 5G wireless wide area network (WWAN) device is slow to wake up.
  • Addresses an issue that might cause Kerberos.dll to stop working within the Local Security Authority Subsystem Service (LSASS). This occurs when LSASS processes simultaneous Service for User (S4U) user-to-user (U2U) requests for the same client user.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I am not getting this update. Why? I am on the:
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎3/‎23/‎2022
OS build 22581.1
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22581.1.0

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I am not getting this update. Why? I am on the:
Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎3/‎23/‎2022
OS build 22581.1
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22581.1.0

KB5011563 was available for my laptop but I'm on stable Windows 11 - 21H2 - Build 22000.593

Looks like that KB5011563 is for Windows 11 stable channel only:
The KB5011563 Update for Windows 11 is now available for users in the stable channel. The patch was released a couple of weeks ago for Insiders in the Beta and Release Preview Channels.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I have installed it. But I don't know where I got over 7GB on the system drive.

This is normal ?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I have installed it. But I don't know where I got over 7GB on the system drive.

This is normal ?
After every Windows Update, I check how many GB can be deleted, just using Windows Disc Cleanup.

Search for clean up system files:

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.