Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
The bottom line

I really like Windows 11. It's a breath of fresh air for Windows that attempts to throw out much of the old UX in favor of a more modern, fluid, and simplistic interface. I think it does a good job at achieving this goal, though it's not perfect. Power users and long-time Windows users will need to relearn some habits and get used to missing functionality in some areas.

I'm sure Microsoft will add back some of the missing features and behaviors in future releases, but I don't think it'll add back everything. I have a feeling that the vision for Windows 11 going forward is simplicity and ease of use, catering more to the average user who is more familiar with how things are done on their phone, and less to the die-hard Windows power users who want everything to be accessible in a single-click.

If you are okay with that, Windows 11 is great. If you aren't, then hanging onto Windows 10 for another year is going to be your best bet. Windows 10 is supported until 2025, so there's no immediate rush to upgrade. In a year, or even two years, Windows 11 will be in a much more "complete" state, and that's when it might be worth giving another try.

Windows 11 has the potential to be the best version of Windows yet, but some of the choices Microsoft has made around Teams Chat, Widgets, setting browser defaults, the incomplete dark mode, and functionality of the taskbar really hold it back from being that. Hopefully the next release of Windows 11 fixes these issues.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Those "choices" Microsoft makes are exactly those that keep me off 11 as a daily. Clearly Microsoft is in no rush to implement any changes or it would have done so by now. Instead, let's hope there's a change of heart and a change of mind. The taskbar should be user-defined for starters. (y)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I see people who've rejected Windows 11 out of hand holding out all these hopes that Windows 12 will be the "savior." I don't believe this--prob. it'll pick up right where 11 leaves off.

You're right: accept Windows 11 for what it is. But it's gonna take me three years to get there. Windows 10 all the way, baby! ✊ :cool:

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

My wife's laptop came with Windows11, I bought Office 2019 license (license only for 30 euro's), so it would be easy for me to help her with settings (I also have Office 2019 on my Windows 10 Pro). To be honest as a Windows10 user I found some options easier to find and configure than with Windows 10.

Like @plat I am sticking to Windows10 until 2025, but that is not out of dislike, but just because of hardware upgrade limitations. Being a happy Windows Defender Application Control user on Windows10 Pro since end of 2019, I am curious how Smart App Control pans out in Windows11 Home.

I am @Gandalf_The_Grey thankful for posting his experience and efforts in enabling SAC on Windows 11 (I am sure more MT-members are following your SAC journey with interest, so maybe make it a separate thread?). I am still a bit confused why Gandalf's laptop kept SAC in evaluation mode. I hope Microsoft is collecting telemetry data to prevent SAC from blocking critical software. Anyone else some info on this?

Because my wife has an AMD laptop, I am waiting until Microsoft starts pushing out the updates through the Windows update mechanism. AMD and Win11 did not start of well, so for me the 'once bitten, twice shy' applies. I was hoping Microsoft would turn on SAC automatically, but it seems that I have to buy another Office license again after the clean install required for SAC.

sartic

Level 3
Jun 5, 2020
Personally Linux way for freedom.
At job we have still at least 25% windows 7, 2 windows 8.1, moving all my servers 2012/R2/2016 to linux also. Most of clients are on Windows 10 happy with open shell. Some of them are on Windows 11 but only new machines. Interesting thing about GUI they do not have any complains like me (personally right click is horrible). Windows 11 is eating ram so for desktop you need 16GB. I have a lot machines with BIOS and 2-4GB still.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
sign-in-ms-account.png

sign-in-onedrive.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I am @Gandalf_The_Grey thankful for posting his experience and efforts in enabling SAC on Windows 11 (I am sure more MT-members are following your SAC journey with interest, so maybe make it a separate thread?). I am still a bit confused why Gandalf's laptop kept SAC in evaluation mode. I hope Microsoft is collecting telemetry data to prevent SAC from blocking critical software. Anyone else some info on this?
It is unfortunately not a very interesting journey because SAC is still in evaluation mode.
I don't when or even if that will change soon.

Stenographers

Level 2
Nov 11, 2022
I've migrated away from Windows at home and at work in the last year. The only computers running a Microsoft OS in my house are my wife's laptop, my gaming computer, and one of my servers is running hyper-v 2019.

My problem is that I can't trust Microsoft anymore. Every app in Windows, and some system services, beg you constantly to allow them to collect your data. There is constant network noise even when nothing is visibly open that should be using the network. After reading the terms of service for all the Microsoft products I use, I can't in good faith continue using them as I simply don't agree with the terms.

Reactions: sartic

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
Open Shell allowed me to restore the Windows XP start button and the traditional two column XP Luna layout. I like the classic appearance and workflow.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.