Advice Request [Windows 7-10] What would be in your opinion the most lightweight yet effective security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Currently using only emsisoft anti-malware on my primary PC and i find it very light and effective. I tried kaspersky on it and found it to be bit heavier and most irritating thing- certificate problem continuous nags. Otherwise Kaspersky is great. I use Kaspersky on my secondary PC in which i don't browse much.

Last edited:

Garzaman

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Nov 14, 2017
After windows 7 support ends I am thinking of moving to Linux mint, however I have tried before to make windows 7 and linux mint to dual boot, but some error regarding partitioning wouldn't let me succeed and I couldn't take the risk to hamper my already stable windows 7 installation. When the time comes, can I ask you for help?
Of course, when you want :)
Consider the option of Feren OS when you want to make the jump. Feren is Mint Cinnamon with a few (aesthetic) changes, such as looking like Windows 7.

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
Currently using only emsisoft anti-malware on my primary PC and i find it very light and effective. I tried kaspersky on it and found it to be bit heavier and most irritating thing- certificate problem continuous nags. Otherwise Kaspersky is great. I use Kaspersky on my secondary PC in which i don't browse much.
Kaspersky itself is a bit heavy in my experience, though the KIS is rock solid, but performance hit is visible.

Of course, when you want :)
Consider the option of Feren OS when you want to make the jump. Feren is Mint Cinnamon with a few (aesthetic) changes, such as looking like Windows 7.
Ok:)

Last edited by a moderator:

abdou17

Level 2
Verified
May 3, 2013
CF with cruelsister's settings + Windows Defender
1. Setup DNS servers (in your area) blocking known malware domains, like Yandex Safe or UltraDNS Threat
2. AV - FortiClient - Disable proxy for the max performance (Disables Web Security)
3. Windows 10 Firewall Control: Sphinx Software (to get control over Windows Firewall)
4. Browser extensions: Adguard (Malware/Spyware/EasyPrivacy filters) and Netcraft (to block phishing)
5. Get an ondemand scanner like HitmanPro, which can perform a quick scan at startup or Emsisoft Emergency Kit

i am using Forticlient and it's not light at all
(in idle)
Capture.PNG

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
CF with zemana antimalware ( realtime protection and pandora cloud) would be light and effective too
totally agree. CF + zemana is the lightest combo ever
why? because zemana doesn't have on-access scanning -> it doesn't scan when we copy file to the computer. It only scans when the file is executed. The scanning speed is lightning fast also

CF with cruelsister's settings + Windows Defender

(in idle)
View attachment 180824
agree, Forticlient made my VM laggy a lot although it didn't use too much RAM as in your screenshot. It used a lot of CPU when malwares were active. Very uncomfortable while testing

abdou17

Level 2
Verified
May 3, 2013
totally agree. CF + zemana is the lightest combo ever
why? because zemana doesn't have on-access scanning -> it doesn't scan when we copy file to the computer. It only scans when the file is executed. The scanning speed is lightning fast also

agree, Forticlient made my VM laggy a lot although it didn't use too much RAM as in your screenshot. It used a lot of CPU when malwares were active. Very uncomfortable while testing
you're right, high CPU usage when open anything like browser or games...
it also make the browsing slow

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
If anyone cares I'll be putting out a "Just Shut Up and Show the CF Settings" video in about 10 days. The one thing that will be added is a quickie tweak to make the Browser functional while still in Containment even with the essential Block Requests firewall tweak in place.

Electr0n

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 19, 2018
If anyone cares I'll be putting out a "Just Shut Up and Show the CF Settings" video in about 10 days. The one thing that will be added is a quickie tweak to make the Browser functional while still in Containment even with the essential Block Requests firewall tweak in place.
Thank you very much for giving us the 'cruelsister settings' for comodo firewall. It's a godsend for easily using an otherwise complicated tool like comodo firewall for not so advanced users like me.
Thank you very much again.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
When I rebuilt my machine in March of last year with Windows 10 1703 (I'm now running 1709) I made it my goal to secure and lock down my machine as much as possible using Windows 10's native security features.

I do use AppGuard so ignoring that all other security I use on my machine are built into Windows and my machine hasn't had a single issue with virii/malware/ransomware etc in a year!

The machines fast, stable and secure so I'm happy! Happy to share more info in you're interested.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I would not consider Comodo as easy at all, it is for expert users only. I have used it for several months and I am still scared of it.

I consider only CPU/HDD usage for performance. RAM is not a problem, especially when using Cleanmem.

Reactions: AtlBo and Electr0n

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.