Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
The system is loaded and after a long time and then the screen "Starting Windows" is restarted
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I used the Startup Repair option that comes in the installation disk
I have also tried to enter Safe Mode
In the command prompt I put the following commands:
bootrec / fixmbr
bootrec / fixboot
how are you
this time I have the following problem, as additional data is used the command:
chkdsk c: / r
and I took a day with that one scan and goes 1% :D but shows me that several data is damaged
if you have one solution and / or software that can serve me would greatly appreciate it

Reactions: nissimezra

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
how are you
this time I have the following problem, as additional data is used the command:
chkdsk c: / r
and I took a day with that one scan and goes 1% :D but shows me that several data is damaged
if you have one solution and / or software that can serve me would greatly appreciate it
if it boot to safe mode try clean boot
start run msconfig go to startup and disable everything then go to services check hide microsoft services box and disable all the other
try to boot

Reactions: Daniel Hidalgo
Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Are there bad sectors detected?

FYI, when it comes to checking HDD surface integrity, there are better tools to use other than CHKDSK

Upvote 0

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Let chkdsk do its thing. You most likely can forget booting since those files/settings got corrupt.

What I would do is
  • Let chkdsk finish
  • RUN MEMTEST86+ FIRST! (too late but that's what you do before disk diagnostics--if your RAM is corrupt, you'll corrupt the data on the disk)
  • Copy everything you want to keep onto another disk/media/flash drive, whatever
  • Run thorough disk diagnostics with PartEd or OEM tools (WD, Seagate, et. al.) to see if it can be reformatted and reused (or returned if under warranty); check SMART data

Upvote 0

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Upvote 0

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Hello Friend it may be that the ram this failing, if you have two units remove one, try it costs nothing. LUCK
maybe if he has a motherboard, hard disk, ram he should try to replace?
come on people first thing first the operating system does not boot thats the problem.
he has a bios, he doesn't receive a message no bootable device why to look for hardware problem? if he can boot to the bios no need to lock for memory problem and he said that he has a boot screen which means the bios is working.

Upvote 0

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
OS not booting is a symptom, not the problem.

Bad RAM will make a disk appear corrupt since it is reading good data from the disk and turning it into bad data in memory. CHKDSK, et. al. will act on this bad bad data and try to repair it, in which case the good repair data will also get corrupted into bad data when it gets written. Think of playing a vinyl LP with a bad needle: it destroys the LP (assuming anyone here even knows what that is, heh).

We don't go swapping parts guessing; we use diagnostic tools with sound methods and procedures and deductive logic. The OP started a disk diagnostic and it reports bad clusters. Don't assume that is the problem since a diagnostic reporting bad clusters can be caused by bad physical media (very likely), bad logic on the disk controller (unlikely), bad bus (very unlikely) or bad RAM (likely). You want to eliminate bad RAM first because if you don't, you'll destroy all that good data. If the RAM is good, you risked nothing. Bad RAM will even fool your RAID controller into thinking the RAID configuration needs repair. Don't tell it to repair until you've tested RAM first! (personal experience...destroyed the RAID and all the contents on it and I was out of town at the time...tactical rebuild!)

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Have you tried the 'Last known configuration' which you will find upon the options to safe mode?

If you believe its not a software culprit then it can be a hardware which you need to provide the age of those installed parts and possible you should experience pre symptoms before it result to unbootable.

Try system restore but for sure its unlikely if the problem goes to hardware. So access the device manager then remove some components that are no longer to use. *

* Usually that's one of the cause to make Windows problematic upon booting.

Upvote 0

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Age is irrelevant; parts fail at various ages and not always due to wear. Besides, we have diagnostics to test hardware.

Guessing with device manager ignores the only lead so far: CHKDSK is finding bad clusters.

dia = divide + gnosis = knowledge == distinguish

Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
and given the knowledge that after 1 day, CHKDSK still hang at 1%, it's prudent to use other tools more dedicated to checking HDD integrity instead of allowing it to finish

Upvote 0

Daniel Hidalgo

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
Thanks to all.

I commented that by the time I used the following options to restore the system option, in that it seems that there is no mention restore point.
Also use the Windows Memory Diagnostic and mentions that has no problem
In the other option to enter safe mode is the same automatically restarts
Now insert the Windows DVD and select the option to start repair.
If this fails, I will use HDD Regenretor for deeper analysis and the chkdsk c: / r did not give me a good result

Upvote 0

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
When and how exactly this problem start to happen, I mean does the problem start to appear after you Installed a new driver, application or you removed a malware from the system etc.

Reactions: vindiesel
Upvote 0

Daniel Hidalgo

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Mar 17, 2015
He started playing online after researching a topic and then turned off standard equipment and from there emerged

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.