Not open for further replies.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Hey wondering on what the best method is for adding missing drivers and Windows 7 Pro updates. This used Laptop came with a fresh install of 7 Pro without any driver or Windows updates. Is the best solution to start off with drivers, or to install windows updates first ?

Also do I let windows try to find the drivers for me ? Or is it better another way ?

Anything I have to look out for? I hope its easy as it sounds. Normally my computers in the past have Factory Settings which include a fresh install with original drivers. I'm sorta new to this type of fix. I only installed graphic drivers in past from scratch.

Any help much appreciated, Thanks in advance...

Reactions: Sr. Normal

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Drivers should not be missing on a new laptop. You can run Windows update and let it find updates first. Typically it may find a video card and adapter updates, but not much more. What brand is the laptop? You could go to the manufacturer site and see if any drivers updates are available. They will have their own software to run (it could already be installed) that will scan for them.

Windows operating system updates, get those for sure, but be careful... If you want to stick With Windows 7 and not move to Windows 10 you will have to be on the lookout to avoid some updates. I will list those below. Or you could do it this way... get all updates until no more are found, then use GWX Control Panel to eliminate the Windows 10 junk...

Ultimate Outsider - Software Downloads

Avoid these...

KB2952664, KB3135445, KB3123862, KB3035583, KB2952664, and KB3021917 (Windows 7) or KB3035583, KB2976978, and KB3135449 (Windows 8).

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Let windows update do everything for you, because MS knows best.. at least on windows ... the updates won't come all at once but in 3-4 waves requiring reboot so be patient..after that you can check the recommended drivers for the laptop model

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Great advice here... thanks Rishi, Blackhawk, Alkajak...

I'm going to backup Image first, then Windows Updating should help me out and then I can GWX and then search for the rest of drivers to DL from manufacture website.

Then backup once more after its settled in.

Hope all goes smooth when I get rollin with it soon!

Reactions: Alkajak and frogboy

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'm about to format my 16GB USB to NTFS,.. but before format, I have to pick allocation unit size for system image... do I use the standard 4096k or go 8?

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
When I plug the USB stick in it says this.... "the drive is not a valid backup location"

huh ? ...

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
1. Format your USB stick as NTFS
2. Share your USB stick as a network drive
3. Insure the advanced share allow permissions are set to full control
4. Start Windows Backup and select System Image
5. Select network drive as your backup location
6. Browse to your own computer and select the USB share
7. Enter your computer's logon credentials, if your password is blank use 1 space

Hit OK and you are off and running.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
1. Format your USB stick as NTFS
2. Share your USB stick as a network drive
3. Insure the advanced share allow permissions are set to full control
4. Start Windows Backup and select System Image
5. Select network drive as your backup location
7. Enter your computer's logon credentials, if your password is blank use 1 space

Hit OK and you are off and running.

Thanks a lot!! Windows is pretty bare bone, nothing much in here yet... so, I'm trying the DVD route at the moment, fingers crossed... :(:confused:

and after that, I will use these tips and see if the USB works :cool::)

Reactions: Alkajak and frogboy

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Last two steps failed me somehow... I cant find the USB, it just brings NETWORK and nothing more. Hm.

My DVD backup says completed successfully. :)

So I been Windows updating yesterday and 2 failed and caused a frozen update loading bar at update "109", although windows 7 was working, so I waited 2 hours no change, so I held power down to turn it off. Caused a black screen (windows not shut normally etc) so... then I clicked start windows normal, and that worked. shew...!

It says dont power off / installing updates, I always leave it before, but it was froze, so I interrupted and shutdown, ... is this a minor problem or major? :eek:

Nothing seems wrong after that, but I'm curious to learn more on the subject.

Windows Update says 150 updates total install, but when I look how many I have already it says 121 installed. So, it messed up. Should I continue and will it sort itself out?

Last edited:

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Windows update can corrupt if you disrupt the process of updating specially at the logon screen, my advise would be go through with all the updates you can install for now, then see which ones are failing or corrupted. There are some ways to reinstall them.Under view update history - you can see which ones were installed or failed.

The technical detailed log can be found by:

1. Hit
hcAFr.png
+R
2. In the Run dialog paste this : %windir%\Windowsupdate.log
3.Click OK
4. A txt file will open with update history details.

This can help you determine which updates have gone amiss after completing the update process.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Windows update can corrupt if you disrupt the process of updating specially at the logon screen, my advise would be go through with all the updates you can install for now, then see which ones are failing or corrupted. There are some ways to reinstall them.Under view update history - you can see which ones were installed or failed.

The technical detailed log can be found by:

1. Hit
hcAFr.png
+R
2. In the Run dialog paste this : %windir%\Windowsupdate.log
3.Click OK
4. A txt file will open with update history details.

This can help you determine which updates have gone amiss after completing the update process.

Thanks , doesn't seem to be much problem looking at the update log,...

Update History reports
100+ successful... 5-8 failed.

CPU starts off normal at bootup, but later spikes to 100% and stays for over a few hours! :eek: ... but windows update popped up suddenly after 2 hours, its down and so is memory... right as I'm posting this. This is a GOOD thing, but again, wants to try these same failed updates, should I bother trying them ?

I checked them failures out, they are...

Windows mount manager update,
A kernal security update,
Security update jan 2015
Security update feb 2016
Photo maker?? update
Picture PNG? security patch

I explain as i remember... so some titles might be off like the photo ones, but thats the general updates that failed.

Device Manager shows, Just two yellow (?) due to a missing video controller driver and or modem driver... I don't see why i'd even need a modem driver but should I get these drivers?

Last edited:

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
Try the security patches again, the drivers will be taken care of... btw is it Service pack 1?
Maybe its very slow because the write speed of my laptop HDD is 3.9 in Windows Experience rating... which my x64 bit PC nearly reads a 6.0 HDD. Less memory and CPU power then my PC as well, but I do have memory boost 16GB USB helping out, when it can.

Yes. SP 1 and the updating was pretty quick at first,... until I reached SP1 and those 150 updates+ IE 11, + Framework lol... maybe it just was ovekill to do all that at once? We'll see I guess... :)

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
You can try them in waves, 4-5 updates at a time so that there are no clashes or corruptions, WIndows 7 is out since 2009 so you can expect a lot, needs some patience..

Reactions: JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
You can try them in waves, 4-5 updates at a time so that there are no clashes or corruptions, WIndows 7 is out since 2009 so you can expect a lot, needs some patience..

So far only 6-7 left to go... so I can try two at time.

The first 50 updates took less than 30 mins, but sometime into it, it bloated after 100, and number 108 and 109 updates couldn't finish due to computer overworked, as the next day it was fairly quick to install remaining 43 of 50 anyway.

Is it OK to allow CPU to function at 100% for hours or how much longer it takes to gather the remaining updates? I may go to sleep a few hours... to let it sort through...

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Well this is a one time investment and considering low specs, CPU usage is no surprise, SP1 changes a lot in the windows structure so I am thinking that might be the culprit..the only caution to take is where the logon screen is updating..Once they are done you wont experience these troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.