Advice Request Windows 7 Group for Dedicated Windows 7 Users?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I am wondering if anyone else loves Windows 7 (sp1) as much as I do? If you would be interested in finding a way to start an online group about Windows 7 issues like UAC, updates, settings, fixes, and security, please let me know.

My house is burning down for me (lol) to find a way to defend the legitness of this OS, and I have decided I am going to defend this ground. Anyone with any passion for the cause who has any ideas please post them.

Thx

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I don't think you have to defend anything, just use what you serves you the best.
Yes I get it, around here there are quite a few "common" things like W10 and Emsisoft which you see a lot of people will praise.
Personally, if I'd ever use Windows over Linux i probably will be using only Windows 7.
About your main point: you can PM me your idea with more details about what kind of group you want to build.

Also note that there are quite some forums specific for Windows (7) help.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Personally, if I'd ever use Windows over Linux i probably will be using only Windows 7.
About your main point: you can PM me your idea with more details about what kind of group you want to build.

Linux is beginning to be a better and better option. I like MS Office, which is a big strain on security in Windows 7, but last time I heard can't run it on Linux at this time. I do like Linux, but generally I would like to start a group focused on securing Windows 7 mostly. Start slow and build up a database of ideas and compile them. Maybe start a blog.

There are good forums, so I was thinking more of an information sharing group at least for starters...not focused on problems just options and possibilities, software configurations etc. Maybe develop at great list of must have updates or create some great default settings packages for programs like NVT ERP (on a new install), Comodo, others. See where it goes...:)

insanity

Level 5
Verified
Oct 9, 2016
I like the idea of a dedicated Windows 7 group. But there are already a few like Seven Forums, which has lots of content if you need help or want to learn tips for Windows 7. I personally like Windows 7 for its UI and and also because it's more lightweight than Windows 10. On the Linux side, my favourite is Mint as it is easy to install and use. But I'm not ready to leave Windows, because many good apps don't have a decent alternative on Linux. You can try MS Office on Wine (up to MS Office 2010), however, the success depends on which distribution you are running. You can also try a suite that runs natively on Linux; I would choose WPS Office because it has better compatibility with MS Office formats, but it's a matter of personal taste.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I like the idea of a dedicated Windows 7 group. But there are already a few like Seven Forums, which has lots of content if you need help or want to learn tips for Windows 7.

So true. I have found many answers on Seven Forums and on other sites too. What I am thinking is...a good many of the Seven Forums guys have or probably will soon switch to W10 and other W7 helpers around the net. I already find them strretched for time in many cases to help. I guess Windows 10 is so sophisticated at the deeper levels of security especially that it seems to be pulling dedicated helpers away to learn everything. Over time, the W10 thing is a steamroller in that way. It will roll over everything. I want to stay with 7, anyway, so I would like to support maybe in a more general way the use of the OS. Maybe an example would be how to configure the OS or what native elements are worth using and which requires the support of aftermarket software.

I REALLY want to focus on securing W7. That's the main thing and I suppose why I am asking here.

Thanks for the info on Wine. Didn't know it will support older versions of Office. I'll look into it when I get time. Honestly, that would part of a very short list of things separating me from moving over. If I could use VB in MS Office on Linux, I would look into dual booting at least...something I dread for hardware and because of the potential for boot problems. I guess I could go with a VM for a while, but I don't like them...

Prorootect

Level 69
Verified
Nov 5, 2011
Topic bookmarked.
Good luck for the success of your idea, AtlBo!
OK hand sign.png

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I'm with you AtlBo, I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 about a month ago and at the end of every day I still consider going back, not that it's a bad OS it's just so much heavier than 7, that lightness has spoiled me.:confused:

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thx @Prorootect. Way back in about 2012 I think it was I started a blog that was associated with a site I created at onlinegroups.net. The site was free to use for under 10 members, and I did find about 8 quickly. It was fun to manage, but then the free option was removed. Here is the blog:

Excelanon

I still want to develop this Excel help site around the onlinegroups.net. Hoping to do the same thing with this idea, but I haven't looked for a host site or anything yet. Don't think there would be a pause in development for a Windows 7 site.

The whole idea of Excelanon was to create a way for users to find 100% anonymous help for their Excel challenges. Post a problem and whoever volunteers volunteers freely to see the project through with the poster. Kind of a study buddy concept with the goal of helping others actually complete projects...not just handle a single problem at a time. Partner is always available until the project is finished...

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I wouldn't say I *love* Windows 7 but I've been using it for the past 7 years without any major issues (unlike the horror that was Vista). Had the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 but Microsoft's appalling marketing campaign (which was essentially adware) irked me enough where I refused to upgrade.

Once 2020 rolls around I'll buy or build a new PC and move onto Windows 10.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I have decided I am going to stay with Windows 7 and Office 2007 too. I think I will be able to do what I want to do, but I am making a big assumption. That is that it will still be supported with software across internet protocols.

Not a judgement on computing, but, if that happens, I wouldn't care to operate a computer, anyway. This is merely a personal deduction that I have made of my own feelings about what is useful about a computer for me. Windows 7 kind of represents that for me, so I don't think I would move on to another OS...even Linux...

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
All my machines are on Win x64 Pro and I have MS Office Professional 2010 on 2 of them. I don't see any strain on security and fell they are totally secure. Do you need any help with that.

Thx for the input. For now, I have been running MS Office (2007) in Qihoo's sandbox. I really like the sandbox for that, and I have found a way to be able to access the sandbox folder in a limited rights account directly from any open Office document. There is a green dialog that attaches to the border for access, but usually it doesn't appear in a l/r account. I set the sandbox process to "Run as admin..." for all users, and then the access bar appeared and also I can access the settings now.

I like being able to use scripts in Office, but none of them reach outside of a document. In this way, there isn't any danger with them, but I have to keep macros enabled. Little bit scary, but that's why I have the Qihoo sandbox and Comodo (main PC not test).

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Count me in. I still use XP and Windows 7. If only my laptop have driver support for Win7, I'll wipe Win 10 from it.

Of course it is outdated, without support from Microsoft regarding security patches (that patched the broken patch that fixed an earlier patch that made my PC go into boot loop, ad infinitum). IMHO is much more robust than the "more secured" Windows 10.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Linux is beginning to be a better and better option. I like MS Office, which is a big strain on security in Windows 7, but last time I heard can't run it on Linux at this time. I do like Linux, but generally I would like to start a group focused on securing Windows 7 mostly. Start slow and build up a database of ideas and compile them. Maybe start a blog.

There are good forums, so I was thinking more of an information sharing group at least for starters...not focused on problems just options and possibilities, software configurations etc. Maybe develop at great list of must have updates or create some great default settings packages for programs like NVT ERP (on a new install), Comodo, others. See where it goes...:)

Trying to reinvent the wheel? Anyway, nothing's wrong with starting something like that since "obsolescence is only relative"

All my machines are on Win x64 Pro and I have MS Office Professional 2010 on 2 of them. I don't see any strain on security and feel they are totally secure. Do you need any help with that.

Same here, I use Office 2010 on my desktop at work. At home, I have Office 2007 and WPS on Windows 10

vtqhtr413

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2017
I see, I wonder what would happen if you did install Win 7, maybe you have, if it would install even with drivers missing, at that point you could probably find drivers out there to suffice. Don't want to be told no by Microsoft. I'm pretty sure I've done this somewhere along my path, do a full backup of the system if you don't already have a factory restore backup and try it, you can always go back, love to know your results.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
What do you guys think of this? Only 250 MB of online storage for free but 50 members. Maybe 50 could work for a while:

Easy pricing. Easy setup. : GroupSpaces

I could take a deeper look if anyone thinks they might be interested. Some things that have been on my mind about Windows 7 that I might be interested in for starters (no rush I promise):

1. Create a go-to installation media for Windows updates. Basically, determine which updates are absolutely necessary. Want to get around the data gathering ones etc. and stick to the ones that improve UAC or elements of the OS. This could take a long time to do, but I would like to begin working toward such a thing.
2. Helpful tips like how to have the network tab showing on the start menu or how to show the Network folder on the desktop. Others might be how to set up a limited rights account and configure UAC. There are alot of elements of Windows to cover.
3. Look into security options for MS Office. How to prevent e-mail and other forms of document malware.
4. Up to date information on Microsoft decisions that could affect dedicated Windows 7 users
5. Maybe helpful YouTube links to fixes that work well in Windows 7. Also, how to set up a Windows rescue disk, what to do when the rescue disk doesn't see the operating system, how to get into safe mode on PCs where it can be tricky (HPs give about a 2 second window but anything before and it's the EUFI options). Many many more of the problems that actually happen frequently.

There are a number of small alterations that make Windows 7 better to use for me (and I am sure plenty I don't know about). I can't even think of them all I have used so many. Anyway, my primary focus has been on establishing an edge with the operating system where I use the fewest possible resources for things like System Restore (6-8 restore points etc.), have the page file size set correctly for harmonic performance, etc. Also, I have focused hard on setting up Windows to be accessible, so when I am using the OS I can easily go where I would like to go. Even things like how to get the real Aero glass look (totally clear look) are good to know for some people.

Beyond this there are an ocean of details in securing Windows 7. EMET is out there for mitigations and can be configured from a single set of standard settings for any machine. OSAromor looks like it will be almost indispensable. There are hundreds of great small applications that can help though...

Last edited:

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
What do you guys think of this? Only 250 MB of online storage for free but 50 members. Maybe 50 could work for a while:

Easy pricing. Easy setup. : GroupSpaces
Why limit yourself? I understand it is just a beginning but if the group managed to get full it can be annoying to move the discussion to another platform.
Do you really want it in the form of a group? what about a forum board?
If you want to go "groups" way why not look at something like Google Groups?

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and AtlBo
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.