Solved Windows 7 Italic updates problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Plexx

Thread author
On windows 7 ultimate, I can see some updates in italic, yet everytime i try to install them it fails.

Searching the net, theres the myth that italic updates are relevant for Ultimate only... Yet, I am on Ultimate.

Any ideas?
They are listed on Optional and have recommended tag on them.

P

Plexx

Thread author
Earth said:
What KB update(s) are they?

Pretty much these.

Note that there are repeated since I then tried a few at a time to see.

Also, in the middle of those there were 2 non italic updates which installed just fine.

O1Veq.jpg

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Yes they are for Windows 7 Ultimate and they are optional updates even though they have a tag recommending installation.You can view what they are specific to and decide if you need them in the right hand column.I don't bother installing them because they basically are new features, updates, extras that are not necessary to install for proper functioning of the operating system or applications.They way I figure it that if it's working ok leave it alone.I did go ahead and install an optional update{KB2484033} to test for install problems and had no problems with install on Wnidows 7 Ultimate x64

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
White Nobster said:
Yes they are for Windows 7 Ultimate and they are optional updates even though they have a tag recommending installation.You can view what they are specific to and decide if you need them in the right hand column.I don't bother installing them because they basically are new features, updates, extras that are not necessary to install for proper functioning of the operating system or applications.They way I figure it that if it's working ok leave it alone.I did go ahead and install an optional update{KB2484033} to test for install problems and had no problems with install on Wnidows 7 Ultimate x64

My issue is that I cant install any of the italic ones.

Upvote 0

madyrocksin

Jul 30, 2012
those updates are probably quite old,
i think your system has updated enough to cover those italic type updates
For example, there might be an optional update for program XYZ v1 but you have already upgraded to v2 of program XYZ, therefore THAT Update for v1 you are trying to install will fail !!

Another possibility could be that these updates where for windows 7 ultimate and you have already updated to windows 7 SP1, may be all those updates were covered when you updated to SP1 !!

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
According to your config, you are using ESET Antivirus 5 with HIPS on Policy Based mode. You need to make sure that you have the policies setup correctly for all the processes required to install Windows Updates.

HIPS will sometimes cause failed updates and the only way you can install them is to boot into Windows Safe Mode install them and then reboot back into Safe Mode again to complete them.

Or you can uninstall products that use HIPS then try to install the Windows Updates.

If that don't work then you might need to run the repair tool from Microsoft. Make sure to disable HIPS before running the fix.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Enjoy!!:D

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
@Littlebits, I have changed OS yesterday, so ESET was installed with Learning mode and will stay like that for 14 days.

On a new installation, I always use Learning mode for 14 days or more since I can't really be asked to set all the rules.

Whenever I am doing something where rules are not available, I switch to Learning mode and then back to Policy Based.

On a side note, taking HIPS out of the discussion, I even tried updating those specific updates in Safe Mode with no luck.

The fact that I was able to update every single update apart from Italic ones, I know for a fact that the repair tool won't do me any good since I have left some non-italic updates for later.

Also, there have been several posts and until now no user could really download such updates and say it is done/fixed etc, although there is still a wide range of sites and posts saying Italic updates are for Ultimate version of Windows...

All this leads me to believe on what madyrocksin said.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Just a quick note, I would have installed Windows Updates without any security software. Makes the updates a breeze without any problems or slowdowns etc. .'. Security software comes after Windows Updates. :)

Do you have SP1 installed?

Upvote 0
P

Plexx

Thread author
only the 3rd batch of updates was with ESET installed (today). Yesterday night did 2 batches without anything installed.

Yeah its by default a SP1 Disk. .Net Framework 4 and IE9 were included since slipstreamed it.

Upvote 0

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
You should at least try the repair tool from Microsoft, what do you have to loose? if it doesn't work at least you tried.

Thanks.:D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.