Battle Windows 7: MSE, Bitdefender, Zemana, Norton or Malwarebytes?

Ashish kumar

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 30, 2017
i recently got attacked by the popular microsoft/Dsq folder malware proxy changer to remove it i used zemana and some proxy settings too remove the virus doesn't remove till we don't change proxy settings. so i dont wanna be attacked again so please suggest me a perfect antivirus for my pc i have MSE installed but it seems to be useless and i have Zemana too but Zemana is too light i think so please suggest me a good antivirus!(Windows 7)
thank you!

Ashish kumar

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 30, 2017
why list five products specifically if you want an unbiased recommendation for the best antivirus ? two of which you doubt yourself.
like i said i just asked here about the best antivirus for my pc so i've also told you which problem happened in past days and to remove malware by other antivirus you should make sure the normal anti-spyware which cant detect them should be turned off there can be a risk that the antivirus can be a virus too unless its MSE i've just given you my opinion that's sit ! i've just asked abut the best antivirus!

Reactions: AtlBo

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
First: The best AV is your brain. Try Sophos Home Premium Beta. It is free because it is in beta. It would be perfect for you. It comes with the HitmanPro scan engine and HitmanPro.Alert (good for Ad-Ware and SpyWare). It is a suite that comes with everything. Even with keylogger protection.
Free Antivirus for Home Networks: Secure 10 PCs and Macs Free | Sophos - Create here a account. If you doesn't feel protected with Sophos then we can continue to talk. Try this out!

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Having a good antivirus (heck the best) doesn't really protects you well if you are not aware of what you are doing. WHat I meant are happy clickers/ etc. kind of users.

May I suggest something better. You can consider getting yourself a under-friendly firewall settings + anti-executable + sandboxing. When these three put up, practically your comp are in pretty much heavy lockdown unless you intentionally unlock it.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
It depends on your needs.

For free: Bitdefender(light, simple and nice) or Avast(ultra powerful but has ads and other crapware)
Paid ones: Kaspersky is still the king.

Please avoid Malwarebytes real time protection, as it is very bad against worms.
You can still use an anti-executable like Voodooshield to avoid all types of infections with its permanent VT scanner.

Reactions: AtlBo and Parsh

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I'll agree with @brod56 here. Quite a few suggestions made here are regarding the best possible protections, however those should meet the needs and experience of the OP.
For free, Bitdefender free and Avast free are very good and basic AVs available. You can follow this guide to set Avast to maximize protection. For protection against ransomware, you can install Kaspersky Antiransom tool or Appcheck free alongside Avast / Bitdefender free.
For paid, Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Norton are some of the best in protection and price at your place. You don't need anything to add here.

In case you're an experienced user and you want to add an anti-executable (that blocks any executable files from launching, and you can decide whether to run them or not), you can try VoodooShield free. NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro (an older version) is also an option.
An alternative is Comodo Firewall or CIS that provides an auto-sandbox mechanism. Basically, it will run any unknown files (hence including unsafe files) in sandbox isolated from your system. So if the malware is auto-contained, it won't harm your system. A good learning curve and some understanding will be needed when trying Comodo since it may also isolate safe files and cause those apps to fail. That can be adjusted though by trusting the wrongly sandboxed files. If you use Comodo FW, the need of using an AV is highly reduced.
You'll find a lot of discussions about all these apps being discussed on this forum.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
huh :eek: seriously o_O

which anti-virus is this that you speak of ? am asking about the one that you said can be a virus too :D & what is the connection with mse.

I almost said something before. The original post is literally @Ashish kumar's first post on this site. I don't see how it is that you can't understand why it's so moronic to expect him to know everything. Anyway, he wasn't limiting the options by naming 5 programs. Seems more to me like he was just helping explain what he has used before or knows from word of mouth etc. Also, OP's concern that security soft can be malware is rooted in truth. There have been rogue security programs before and anyway how is the OP supposed to know if he's just getting started?

if you have already reached the conclusion that mse is useless why list it in your given choices ?

How was OP's statement that MSE seemed useless to him a conclusion of any kind? What is wrong with your brain man? Looks like he got pwned by malware with MSE on the machine. Then too maybe he thought he was using it wrong somehow and could use it successfully. You are either brain dead or even you know the OP's comment on MSE wasn't a conclusion. Maybe you are brain dead.

Why would you use your time to be this way? I feel like I should apologize to the poster almost. Your first post in this thread was nothing but an attempted flame of someone simply asking for help who just wanted someplace to start. It would cause a bad impression on the site...really bad if it weren't for genuine suggestions from legit members. And you offer NO constructive input. Don't know why you are here honestly.

You may know more than many, but you should go away if this is your attitude. For sure, there hasn't been any value in your posts in this thread. Don't waste our or the OPs time.

@Ashish kumar, have you had a chance to look around? There are alot of ways to go. Comodo has been mentioned. It's very comprehensive. If you want something special for ransomware, keep in mind CheckMal AppCheck A/R free. One of the best A/R's and it's free. Also, it's being actively developed and updated.

One ideal setup...
Comodo Firewall->Proactive mode
Avast free

Last edited:

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I almost said something before. The original post is literally @Ashish kumar's first post on this site. I don't see how it is that you can't understand why it's so moronic to expect him to know everything. Anyway, he wasn't limiting the options by naming 5 programs. Seems more to me like he was just helping explain what he has used before or knows from word of mouth etc. Also, OP's concern that security soft can be malware is rooted in truth. There have been rogue security programs before and anyway how is the OP supposed to know if he's just getting started?

How was OP's statement that MSE seemed useless to him a conclusion of any kind? What is wrong with your brain man? Looks like he got pwned by malware with MSE on the machine. Then too maybe he thought he was using it wrong somehow and could use it successfully. You are either brain dead or even you know the OP's comment on MSE wasn't a conclusion. Maybe you are brain dead.

Why would you use your time to be this way? I feel like I should apologize to the poster almost. Your first post in this thread was nothing but an attempted flame of someone simply asking for help who just wanted someplace to start. It would cause a bad impression on the site...really bad if it weren't for genuine suggestions from legit members. And you offer NO constructive input. Don't know why you are here honestly.

You may know more than many, but you should go away if this is your attitude. For sure, there hasn't been any value in your posts in this thread. Don't waste our or the OPs time.

@Ashish kumar, have you had a chance to look around? There are alot of ways to go. Comodo has been mentioned. It's very comprehensive. If you want something special for ransomware, keep in mind CheckMal AppCheck A/R free. One of the best A/R's and it's free. Also, it's being actively developed and updated.

One ideal setup...
Comodo Firewall->Proactive mode
Avast free

Some brainless answers are all around the forum. Let's just ignore them and chill out.
Fortunately there are lots of very helpful people here.

Reactions: russ0408 and AtlBo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.