Troubleshoot WINDOWS 7 Premium upgrade from Vista Basic

Richard Little

Thread author
Oct 15, 2016
I am upgrading from Vista Basic to win 7 Premium and the upgrade seems to get stuck "at searching for installation updates" for hours; any ideas?

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Unfortunately waiting hours is not uncommon with Windows 7 updates. Just do a google search and youll find out you're not alone sadly.

Not sure what the answer is as a clean install would likely not fare much better.

Maybe if you wait it out it may eventually finish but there are no guarantees.

Upvote 0

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I think you need to make custom installation instead rather upgrade to avoid any loophole issues.

Don't forget to create backup, likely the issue goes on dirty bootable disc.

Upvote 0

askmark

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2016
Remove the Windows 7 DVD, then restart your computer. Begin the upgrade again, but elect not to search for installation updates.
The problem is youre just putting off something that will need to be addressed later. When Win7 comes up it will be missing approximately 300 updates. If automatic updates is enabled then svchost will be maxing out the cpu at 100% and the pc will unbearably slow. I know this because it's happened to every fresh Win7 install I've done in the last few months. It's a known problem which is an absolute pain to reslove.

@jamescv7 suggestion is a good one. Build a custom installation CD and include all the latest updates.

Alternatively follow the steps in this article from ghacks.net:
Speed up the Windows 7 update rollup - gHacks Tech News

Last edited:
Upvote 0

grrr

Level 3
Verified
Jun 17, 2011
It's not clear to me if you were able to upgrade to Win7 and the Win7 is stuck at updates check.
In case Win7 is stuck at updates check, I can very well help you, as I found a way after multiple hit & trials. Let me know.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.