Advice Request Windows 7 Really Better than 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I have never worked or used Windows 7, had 98, XP, 8 then 8.1, and now the latest, 10.

Many friends of mine still use, and talk affectionately about W7, and feel in many ways, a better and/or stable system than W10. They suggest I try it. Others say ditch 10, and use it.

I am aware that support will be ending very soon, and I know that I can install another separate system on my PC with the option of dual booting.

What are your thoughts on Windows 7?

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
No! Windows 7 may be just a bit more stable (only noticeable on older machines) but it's way worse.
For me, updgrading to Windows 10 made my PC faster and much more modern. Its regular updates only keep improving it.

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Well yes it is better if you use a computer or a laptop from 2012. In that kind of systems is more stable that windows 10 because win7 is not such agressive on telemetry or functions as windows 10.

Again, it higly depends from your pc or laptop, I have a sony vaio laptop from 2011 with win 7 by default, I don't change it and I say this because I've tried windows 8.1 and 10 and I've found problems as high use of RAM (I suppose from fast startup) I decide to keep windows 7 (mainly because it's used by family) until I get a new and modern computer and I'll be using win10 for sure.

I'm not using win7 if I have a modern hardware with a modern graphics that can be better with directx 12 with windows 10

Reactions: Parsh and Fritz

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
7 is the best Windows that ever was and will be, but it not like we have a choice, it is just obsolete.
I have moved to 10 because of the lack of hardware and software support, not to mention security updates.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Many friends of mine still use, and talk affectionately about W7, and feel in many ways, a better and/or stable system than W10. They suggest I try it. Others say ditch 10, and use it.
Windows 7 was a great OS and has served your friends well, so they're reluctant to change. That's to be expected. When it comes to technology, I do recommend a less emotional approach, though. Always consider the consequences.

Windows 10 took almost everything bad about 8 and 8.1 (which I hated and skipped) off the plate and actually went back a bit towards a Win7-style. It's also lightyears ahead as far as security goes and will be supported for years to come.

The only reason I see is when you use applications that just won't run on anything other than Windows 7 and there's no replacement to be had. I also use Windows 7 Embedded PosReady 7 in commercial environments still, because Windows 10 IoT isn't quite there yet. Then again, these embedded versions have a much longer support time frame and there's nobody checking mail, browsing or downloading anything, they're being used with a single application exclusively.

TL;DR: If there's no tangible reason to use an old OS, use an actual one. Always.

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
It's hard to choose one for me. Windows 7 is better IMO but I like Windows 10 too. The only things I don't like on Windows 10 are telemetry, bloatware (that comes with OS) and buggy updates. Other than that, it's decent OS.

Reactions: frogboy and Fritz

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Windows 10 is faster and more secure. It may not work on older systems.
If you can handle Windows 8, then you can surely handle Windows 10.
The people who have trouble with Windows 10 are the folks who are coming from XP or Vista or 7, and they have expectations that the user experience will be the same.

Reactions: Faybert and Fritz

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
Windows 7 was good in it's day but Windows 10 is a far superior OS especially in terms of security. Like others have said your decision does have to take into account the PC you are using, unless it's 5 years or older Windows 10 is the best option.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I always use the latest, not just for security, but for new technologies that the old ones do not support. Continuing on 7 is a big mistake, both in performance and especially in security.

Reactions: askmark

legendcampos

Level 6
Verified
Aug 22, 2014
I like Windows 7, Microsoft made kludged in Windows 10 that crashed into my concept when creating the apps store, which everyone knows is bad, because it was destined for smartphone users so much they try to win the market, most prefer Android and IOS. Although I prefer to use the 7 to be cleaner, Win 10 is more modern, more current, DirectX 12 support ideal for the latest VGA. Then back to 7 is walking backwards because we have to follow technological developments.

nsm0220

Level 21
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
I pick W7 for stability and friendly UI and the backwards comparably of software and hardware.Also W7 is very hardware friendly as well,

Reactions: Brie

darko999

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2014
I give you a point about Windows 7 being a bit more stable than Windows 10 but that's reasonable if we accept the fact that Windows 10 added new features and upgraded modules into new more secure ones. That will always cost some stability, however I find Windows 10 an upgraded version of Windows 7. No reason for me to go back to Win 7.

Reactions: frogboy and askmark

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Thanks for all your replies. My gut told me to stay with 10 . Appreciate the advice. Old cars may be nice, and run well but once you have trouble getting the parts, it's time to move on. Same applies to OS imho.

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I found Win 8.1 better in terms of performance compared to Win 7, and just used Classic Shell to make it look like Win 7. I've tried Win 10 for a limited time, and it looks OK, although I'd like to avoid the privacy problems.

Reactions: askmark

I have never worked or used Windows 7, had 98, XP, 8 then 8.1, and now the latest, 10.

I am aware that support will be ending very soon, and I know that I can install another separate system on my PC with the option of dual booting.

What are your thoughts on Windows 7?

What OS is better is a matter of personal preference, but in terms of security Windows 10 is significantly more secure.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.