Advice Request Windows 7 SP1 automatic installation will start happening tomorrow

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Microsoft has announced that Windows 7 SP1 will begin rolling out to consumers via Windows Update starting tomorrow. Windows 7 SP1 is over two years old and if you haven’t upgraded by now, Microsoft will do you a favor and apply it to your machine for you.

Read more

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
great news :D several people are staying with 7 i'm already on sp1 but its good to see that microsoft did that :)

I

illumination

The service packs main function, is to fill in the security/stability/performance patches one may be missing from their system, you would have to be down right silly to not want to apply this update.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Example?

McLovin said:
I can see a lot of complaints ahead. :rolleyes:

I agree with others that it's a good move from MS.

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
It will be not quite good for people who have slow internet speeds though...but it's a good idea :)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Using Windows Updates, the update of SP1 can be as small as 44MB.

FYI: The Service Pack Center may show up to ~500MB, but contains extras for other languages which isn't required.

Spirit

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Earth said:
Using Windows Updates, the update of SP1 can be as small as 44MB.

FYI: The Service Pack Center may show up to ~500MB, but contains extras for other languages which isn't required.
Exactly
+1

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:
Example?

McLovin said:
I can see a lot of complaints ahead. :rolleyes:

I agree with others that it's a good move from MS.

There will be some programs that people use that might need the old updates. That's the reason behind it. I personally would be updating as quick as possible, I can see others though not so much, or trying to avoid that update.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
DrBeenGolfing said:
One example---kb 2670838?

That is a good example why its better to wait for a few days, a week maybe, before updating to see what is being reported by other users after updating. For my W7, I don't have to do the update as it came with the laptop when I bought it but if SP1 was not already installed, I would definitively wait a little.

Both of my computers are HP, I remember when I updated my XP to SP3, it was messy because HP computers needed a tiny 100KB update in order for the upgrade to go through without issues. At the time, I was one of those users that would update immediately when updates became available. Well, that changed after that day when I tried to update to SP3 for the first time. Without the tiny patch from HP, XP computers would go into a loop, they would not boot properly. I was lucky, somehow I was able to recover my system. About a month after SP3 became available, HP released the necessary patch in order for SP3 to install properly.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/146014/article.html

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.