Battle Windows 7 vs Windows 8.1 vs Windows 10

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Windows 10 is as stable as it gets on majority of the systems without any compatibility issues in terms of hardware.
Dell had some issues and released some updated drivers.
MSI and ASUS systems had no problems.

A lot of users refer to buggy but fail to realize some issues are not on OS base but compatibility between hardware and software.

As a core OS, windows 10 is stable as it gets. Sure, november update messed it up for some users, but once such news go wild, everyone jump on the bandwagon that Windows 10 sucks and often refer to windows 7 and windows 8.1. The same people that jumped to the bandwagon when they claimed windows 8.1 was subpar now say windows 8.1 is fine.

I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 without any issues and also have november update without any issues.

Also some users refer to incompatibility between security software and windows 10, but thats not the issue with windows 10.

TLDR - Windows 10 as a core OS is fine and much more improved than previous versions.

Reactions: Rishi and frogboy

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Win 7 : Best compatibility with older software, easier to use as the successor of XP/Vista, most of the bugs and tweaks are well documented and available.Win 8 : Metro is the biggest letdown Win 10 : still in the process of updating,stability fixes,hardware issues(like with Samsung N/R series bios) and it also pushes the fine limits between user privacy and corporate snooping.New features do not mean they might be likeable - for example the new Edge browser.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Upon my overall deep observation + numerous experiences still indeed that WIndows 7 to be well stable and built for performance wise. We can see through users testimony since some hardware types are not yet optimized to Windows 10 due to developers other concerns.

Windows 10 is fine and if you purchase new computer for that hence expect no issues at all [even refurbished], however due to the theme concept by Microsoft many business firm look to go back on Windows 7 for overall needs. Which why market shares are at low compare to 7.

Windows 8.1 is totally a failure on majority of users who use as it intended to survive the overall problems brought on Windows 8 but performance and other optimizations are far compare to 7 and 10.

At the end of the day, they have different perspectives but as possible we should aware to migrate to the latest version for our own good and effort to adapt to the fast pace technology.

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
I would install Windows 10 but if eliminated telemetry and automatic updates, why? updates automatic Windows 10 works well forced update doesn't update system failure does not like me and telemetry we already know that.

If this continues whether until 2020 with Windows 7 and followed with Windows 8.1 through 2023, when not forced instalare Windows 10.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If comparing Windows 7 and 8.1 with 10, then for now, Windows 8.1 is my preferred choice.
  • Introduction of Windows Defender, a full Antivirus in Windows 8.0 and later
  • System-wide Smartscreen protection, no longer limited to IE
  • Integration of OneDrive, Microsoft Account and Xbox experience
  • Abilities to Refresh / Reset the OS, without losing data
  • Overall improvement to OS, design and built-in tools and features
I am half-way between Windows 8 and 8.1, as some functionality was lost when they released 8.1.

Additionally, I recently discovered (after a Google search), Chrome users on Windows 10 do not get the "Launch Chrome in Windows 8 mode", which replicates a similar Chrome OS experience.

upload_2016-1-2_20-0-22.png

An exclusive Chrome feature for Windows 8 and 8.1 users.

@Atatrah Did you mean Windows 7 SP1 vs Windows 8.1 vs Windows 10?
See latest update at Windows lifecycle fact sheet - Windows Help

Raider Red

Level 2
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Although Windows 7 is my preferred, I am using Windows 10 just to get acclimated. I don't care for Edge or many of the whistles & bells....maybe my next pc will be more conducive with 10. I have no doubt it's a good step forward...even Windows Defender has moved up and doing much better.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Windows 7 SP1 was the only OS choice available,at least for me,until Windows 10.Windows 8.1 was a good OS in theory put really an impractical OS for most users.
I chose Windows 10 because aside from the update issues(not upgrade) and some problems with installing Nvidia drivers on my ASUS ROG it is really a very good OS. I have now migrated all my PC's to Windows 10( no more Dual boots).
Unlike 8.1 it is a very easy and smooth transition from 7 and not the hit by a train transition from 7 to 8.1
I don't agree with their upgrade tactics or privacy concerns but that is a Microsoft problem. Overall I think Windows 10 is pretty stable and in a much better state than it was say 3 months ago.
However I cannot blame those who chose to stay with 7 or 8.1 because I was a long time user of XP & then 7 long after new operating systems introduced.

Kiwimike

Level 1
Verified
Dec 15, 2015
Windows 7 all the way. Windows 10 still has issues, especially if you want to have more control over your system. Windows 10 automatically downloads and installs updates, this is good unless your trying to run your system as stable as possible where you want to wait and check the updates manually.

Windows 7 takes up more disk space as it doesn't contain compression, Windows 8.1 does contain compression but Windows 7 doesn't. Windows 7 is also less secure than Windows 10.
Windows 10 is immune to a lot of the exploits used against Windows 7 systems, and contains better security overall. This combined with the automatic updates does make Windows 10 a good choice if security is your top priority. It's just less compatible with certain security software that might try to perform certain actions.

I recommend Windows 7 personally, but as I stated it's personal preference. Windows 10 is just a bit of a mess right now, and while it isn't a failure it's best to stick with Windows 7 for the time being.

Reactions: TheJokerz and Bergo
A

Alkajak

Mfw the first 5 posts are summarized as "In your opinion, which OS is your favourite? Btw, if you say Windows 10, I will argue with you."

Windows 10 is by far the most refined OS I've tried so far. Windows 7 to Windows 8 was not a big jump for me. 8 to 8.1 was a little bit better. But from 7 to 10 or 8 to 10 or 8.1 to 10, you can really notice a massive difference. Big fan of 10.

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
Atatrah:
Which problem did you with my Statement?
From all Windows versions is Windows 10 technically the best.

But Windows 10 spy.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.