BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
screen_shot_2013-10-13_at_11_30_46_am.jpg

Well that didn’t take too long, did it? Pirated versions of Windows 8.1 can now be activated via a KMS workaround.

Dodgy KMS tool can now activate Windows 8.1 by using a traditional Key Management Service workaround, and it works for all editions of Windows 8.1 too.

This type of hack has long been used to “officially” activate Microsoft products, including Office and previous versions of Windows.

With Windows 8.1 being only a few days old we dare to say that we’ll probably start seeing a lot more “activated” copies of the OS being installed thanks to this hack.

As usual, we won’t provide links to any such products but we bet your Google search skills will lead you right to the source, which is MDL by the way..

By Neowin

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
When I installed Windows 8 and 8.1, I was asked to Enter Product Key before installation, did I miss something that allows you to bypass that first authentication?

Imran

Level 1
Feb 27, 2012
Earth said:
When I installed Windows 8 and 8.1, I was asked to Enter Product Key before installation, did I miss something that allows you to bypass that first authentication?

From where did you downloaded your Windows setup?

Normal Windows setup will ask for product key every time.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Earth said:

Newer laptops that come with Windows 8 installed have a built in Windows 8 OEM key that the installer of Windows 8 (from .iso install not Upgrade) will grab automatically.

But for me installing Windows 8.1 from an .iso didn't work like that unlike it did for Windows 8, It still asked me for a license and wouldn't accept my genuine Windows 8 license that came with my laptop.

I had to find a license online to get past the Windows 8.1 installer which worked and when I finally got into Windows 8.1 I used some CMD slmgr commands to remove the temporary license I used and then input and activate with my own genuine license which worked.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
From Dreamspark, it was a secure download, it extracts the ISO after it's decrypted, which I then burn to a DVD.

Imran said:
From where did you downloaded your Windows setup?

How can it be bypassed when you cannot install without entering the product key, that's what I meant.

Imran said:
Normal Windows setup will ask for product key every time.

technology

Level 7
Verified
Jul 5, 2013
Earth said:
How can it be bypassed when you cannot install without entering the product key, that's what I meant.

Hi Earth;
You can install using a GVLK (generic KMS-Client-Key) directly presented by MS here :Win 8.1 KMS Client Setup Keys
or use WinISO or similiar to integrate ei.cfg to \sources\folder of the ISO.

you can do it by:
edit or create a txt file save it as ei.cfg file into the sources root folder on your usb or before you burn the dvd/cd media.

type this into it
PHP:
[Channel]
Retail

[VL]

Nothing else should be in it than the txt i provided to you

Your choice

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
OK. So what you're saying is that you must modify your ISO or installation media, else you cannot bypass Windows Installation?

My Windows is fully genuine without bypasses etc, but thanks for the explanation.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
No Earth, you just enter a generic KMS-Client-Key when asked for a key during install and then once at desktop you either use your own legit key or the kms activator. You don't need to modify the ISO.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
There are OEM keys which can be entered when Windows starts installing and asking for a product key, then it installs but, as there is no internet connection (or you specify that you will connect pc/laptop to the internet later) Windows cannot check if that key is blocked.

When the desktop shows up, you run kms activator and it activates (I think) only Windows retail versions until yesterday. And today all Windows versions can be "activated".

D

Deleted member 178

the VL editions doesnt requires any license keys during the intallation, then after you have to replace some Windows files by those provided by mr Internet and type a command line installing the corresponding key

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.