Advice Request Windows 8.1 Pro right click hangs

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
hello friends,

I am facing a strange problem of which details are as follows, (Please bear with me)
  • as soon as the desktop appears and i open any folder, i cannot move through files and folders present on desktop (that is no right click (refresh menu) and no right click context menu on any file or folder present on desktop is generated).
  • strangely I can move well inside File explorer but not on desktop.
  • Though a right click context menu appears on the files in that folder and they even open well..but i cannot do the same with files on desktop.
  • and no thumbnails appear on any type of file (whether documents or applications) which are inside any folder.
  • Looks like explorer hangs up for a short duration and after that everything work normal.
  • this happens only once.

Specs: Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit with update 1.
HP Pavilion
No third party software tweaks
Default Windows settings.

I hope i have explained the situation well.
Any help on this ?

P.S. I have did a fresh reinstall of Windows 8.1 update 1 twice.

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
hello friends,

I am facing a strange problem of which details are as follows, (Please bear with me)
  • as soon as the desktop appears and i open any folder, i cannot move through files and folders present on desktop (that is no right click (refresh menu) and no right click context menu on any file or folder present on desktop is generated).
  • strangely I can move well inside File explorer but not on desktop.
  • Though a right click context menu appears on the files in that folder and they even open well..but i cannot do the same with files on desktop.
  • and no thumbnails appear on any type of file (whether documents or applications) which are inside any folder.
  • Looks like explorer hangs up for a short duration and after that everything work normal.
  • this happens only once.

Specs: Windows 8.1 pro 64 bit with update 1.
HP Pavilion
No third party software tweaks
Default Windows settings.

I hope i have explained the situation well.
Any help on this ?

P.S. I have did a fresh reinstall of Windows 8.1 update 1 twice.
Try using this utility and see what shell extensions are enabled!
It could be an extension causing the issue?

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
@venustus ,hello

Windows work well after doing a fresh reinstall only for a few days.

It has been only a week since the fresh reinstall and Minimal Programs are installed so far:
  • MS Office 2013
  • VLC
  • WinRAR
  • Foxit Reader
  • CCleaner
So a buggy context menu do not seems to be the problem.

regards.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
@venustus ,hello

Windows work well after doing a fresh reinstall only for a few days.

It has been only a week since the fresh reinstall and Minimal Programs are installed so far:
  • MS Office 2013
  • VLC
  • WinRAR
  • Foxit Reader
  • CCleaner
So a buggy context menu do not seems to be the problem.

regards.
Have you installed the correct graphics drivers?
Did you run the utility that I posted?:)

Reactions: Ved and Terry Ganzi

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
@venustus :
yes i ran the utility and it shows all extension are enabled.

all extension are by Microsoft only and 12 are Non-Microsoft. (Please see attached file)

and yes the graphics are correctly installed (by Windows automatic Update itself). namely,
  • Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
  • Radeon (TM) HD 8670M problem
Previously there was only Intel Graphics, and AMD was installed today only because i thought installing AMD might solve this problem...but in vain. :(

Attachments

• non microsoft shell extensions.PNG
    non microsoft shell extensions.PNG
    11.7 KB · Views: 581

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
@venustus :

I think the problem is solved, I disabled a shell item "the Desktop context Menu Class" created by Intel Graphics (in right click refresh menu), and the problem is gone.

I will post back if the problem occur again.

thanks for your trying to solve my problem. :).

Last edited:
Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
@venustus :

I think the problem is solved, I disabled a shell item "the Desktop context Menu Class" created by Intel Graphics (in right click refresh menu), an problem is gone.

I will post back if the problem occur again.

thanks for your trying to solve my problem. :).
You're welcome:)
I suspected it would have been one of the graphics extensions!
I had a similar problem with the nvtt.dll nvidia shell extension, and I found that was the culprit for me!
Regards!!:)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...op-appearing-slow-win-81?forum=w8itprogeneral

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
I always used Nirsoft's utility to disable these unnecessary context menu entries (Graphics options, share with, include in library etc, and other third party software shell items).
This time only I left it enabled but could not get any idea as to what was causing the problem.

Reactions: Venustus

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I always used Nirsoft's utility to disable these unnecessary context menu entries (Graphics options, share with, include in library etc, and other third party software shell items).
This time only I left it enabled but could not get any idea as to what was causing the problem.
One of those quirks that can happen I guess!:)

Ved

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jan 19, 2014
@venustus : Hey !

I was misguided by thinking that the problem is solved...The problem came back again and i uninstalled intel graphics.restarted but right click still hangs for a few seconds..files open normally though...so i do not think this problem is linked to context menu items created by intel graphics...this is something else which is making Windows to hang.

What do you suggest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.