Troubleshoot Windows 8.1 questions

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I am not that familiar with win 8 so forgive me for any dumb questions...

#1 I have mbam and hmp installed but there's no right click scan?
#2 Is it normal for windows defender to not have a right click scan?

I know there's more, but I cannot remember right now so I will post them when I remember lol

Reactions: MrExplorer

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
For MBAM Select "Yes" in Explorer context menu entry

malwarebytes 2.0 context menu.jpg

For hitman pro tick "Show scan with hitman pro for files and folder in Windows explorer"

hitman pro context menu.jpg

Reactions: Jack and Overkill
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Overkill, I too have run into the obstacle of not being able to right click to scan an item with Windows Defender,:mad: but (in the end) found the following an easy alternative to right clicking.:)
  1. Open Windows Defender
  2. On the Home Tab page, to the right under "Scan options:" choose "custom"
  3. Here you can choose to scan whole drives (longer scans) or specific folders usually right clicked on (short scans). I scanned my external flash drive Lexar (E) before I saw this thread, and it was quick. (well, no, It was actually "custom")!!;):p :cool:
  4. The files I usually scan most often using Defender are my newest program downloads as follows:
  • Computer Drive (C) > Users > (My name) > downloads (check it's box & Scan)
  • You will be able to find any individual file to scan in this way, on the file tree, when using Malwarebytes as well.:):)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Can I delete the "Windows.old" folder in C:?
yes u can, i deleted it. i refreshed my system a week ago & i noticed it created windows.old ( it's old window). It also happens when u upgrade ur PC, i guess. It's better u delete it from disk cleanup or using any third party cleaner like ccleaner. thnx

Upvote 0

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
Overkill, I too have run into the obstacle of not being able to right click to scan an item with Windows Defender,:mad: but (in the end) found the following an easy alternative to right clicking.:)
  1. Open Windows Defender
  2. On the Home Tab page, to the right under "Scan options:" choose "custom"
  3. Here you can choose to scan whole drives (longer scans) or specific folders usually right clicked on (short scans). I scanned my external flash drive Lexar (E) before I saw this thread, and it was quick. (well, no, It was actually "custom")!!;):p :cool:
  4. The files I usually scan most often using Defender are my newest program downloads as follows:
  • Computer Drive (C) > Users > (My name) > downloads (check it's box & Scan)
  • You will be able to find any individual file to scan in this way, on the file tree, when using Malwarebytes as well.:):)
Add Scan with Windows Defender to Explorer
but after reading comments, i guess right click scan only work for folders. Try it.

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
For MBAM Select "Yes" in Explorer context menu entry

View attachment 14821

For hitman pro tick "Show scan with hitman pro for files and folder in Windows explorer"

View attachment 14823
This was terrific!:) I just checked the boxes on both MBAM & Hitman pro too!!:D ..and yes, Overkill has good company by being helped, and is n'ot alone as I join in the ranks of having a blonde moment ...today!:p

Upvote 0

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
This is a very bad option - all your files remain on disk only, they are not visible only,
Use CCleaner, there's this feature. And in settings select - "Secure file deletion (Slower)" => "Simple Overwrite (1 pass)"
Previously posted by me: http://www.download.hr/forum/thread...evious-windows-installations.6970/#post-40384
I do not recommend this method, then the whole content will stay on the hard drive, but only a disguised form. Much more sensible is to use CCleaner and before configure as shown in the picture.
NB!
- Only You need to be logged in as an administrator!
- You do not need a Professional or Business version, normal CCleaner fits perfectly.

CCleaner_1_zps11672628.png

CCleaner_2_zps7c6c3f26.png

________________________________________________________________________________________

It's not a problem at all - you can always add it to the context menu.

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\WindowsDefender]
"MUIVerb"="Scan with Windows Defender"
"Icon"="%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Defender\\MSASCui.exe,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\WindowsDefender\Command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MpCmdRun.exe\" -scan -scantype 3 -file \"%1\""
Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\WindowsDefender]
@="Scan with Windows Defender"
"Icon"="%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Defender\\EppManifest.dll"
"Position"="Bottom"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\WindowsDefender\Command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MpCmdRun.exe\" -scan -scantype 3 -SignatureUpdate -file %1"

Attachments

• Scan with Windows Defender.zip
    460 bytes · Views: 303
  • Scan with Windows Defender_folder.zip
    501 bytes · Views: 300
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rus Anca

Level 25
Verified
Jun 18, 2014
This is a very bad option - all your files remain on disk only, they are not visible only,
Use CCleaner, there's this feature. And in settings select - "Secure file deletion (Slower)" => "Simple Overwrite (1 pass)"
Previously posted by me: http://www.download.hr/forum/thread...evious-windows-installations.6970/#post-40384
I do not recommend this method, then the whole content will stay on the hard drive, but only a disguised form. Much more sensible is to use CCleaner and before configure as shown in the picture.
NB!
- Only You need to be logged in as an administrator!
- You do not need a Professional or Business version, normal CCleaner fits perfectly.

CCleaner_1_zps11672628.png

CCleaner_2_zps7c6c3f26.png

________________________________________________________________________________________

It's not a problem at all - you can always add it to the context menu.

Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\WindowsDefender]
"MUIVerb"="Scan with Windows Defender"
"Icon"="%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Defender\\MSASCui.exe,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\WindowsDefender\Command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MpCmdRun.exe\" -scan -scantype 3 -file \"%1\""
Code:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\WindowsDefender]
@="Scan with Windows Defender"
"Icon"="%ProgramFiles%\\Windows Defender\\EppManifest.dll"
"Position"="Bottom"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\folder\shell\WindowsDefender\Command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Windows Defender\\MpCmdRun.exe\" -scan -scantype 3 -SignatureUpdate -file %1"
It's my opinion,not a problem at all...

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Is it possible to show the bios options at startup permanently?

Everytime I install 7-zip I see no right click menu and I have looked through the settings and everything is fine there, is it not compatible?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

what you means exactly by that? like the F8 button?

Everytime I install 7-zip I see no right click menu and I have looked through the settings and everything is fine there, is it not compatible?

open 7zip as admin , go in the options and save or download alpha version v9.34,

Upvote 0

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012

Feel clearer way to talk about what you can not see. And those BIOS options, what's with them is needed do?

Upvote 0

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
what you means exactly by that? like the F8 button?

open 7zip as admin , go in the options and save or download alpha version v9.34,

Whenever you boot up you first see bios options like f8 or f10 etc on every windows OS but 8

here's an example, see the options at the bottom?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

Whenever you boot up you first see bios options like f8 or f10 etc on every windows OS but 8

here's an example, see the options at the bottom?

yep they doesn't appear, F2 load the Bios , F9 the revovery options, but F8 loads what they called "advanced options" and must be enabled from the OS then you reboot; you can get it at boot like Win7 via a registry trick.

Reactions: Overkill
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.