Solved Windows 8 Default or NEW Apps not update nor install

Status
Not open for further replies.

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
"Something happened and this app wasn't installed. Please try again. Error code: 0x80073cf9".
Screenshot

System Information generated from msinfo32.exe

Windows Activated on Nov 2, 2012 and installing MS updates and Office 2013 updates from then and no problem in it.
Only this apps problem. 1 month before my brother had also tried and got this error but he ignored it. Now today I tried to install Dropbox
Please help :(
I google the problem also but some said to use WSReset.exe in run or disable or uninstall my ANtivirus i.e Avast, WSReset.exe cleared cache refreshed then tried again to install but same problem
and I don't want to uninstall Avast as my other friends using win8 with wmc also use avast and they don't have this problem so I didn't tried this.

Attachments

• apps.jpg
    apps.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 630

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
go to services.msc running as admin, enable the Windows firewall service and then the apps will install properly. After installing is done you can disable the firewall service is you have a 3rd party firewall.

Upvote 0

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-apps-not-working/01014156-fee4-4cbe-9744-47c8e07b3314?page=1&tm=1357817202533
tried this also refreshing technique but it gives error that some files are missing and tells to insert recovery disk.
But I don't want to do all these and don't want to lose my activation so I wanted some easy type of solution without so much of work needed as I'm afraid that it could create some problems so please only simple steps

Upvote 0

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
arsenaloyal said:
go to services.msc running as admin, enable the Windows firewall service and then the apps will install properly. After installing is done you can disable the firewall service is you have a 3rd party firewall.
I'm using avast free + windows firewall so it wasn't disabled so no firewall problems here :(

Also if any Microsoft MVP is here on MT then please help me

Upvote 0

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-windows_install/windows-8-apps-not-working/01014156-fee4-4cbe-9744-47c8e07b3314?page=4&tm=1357817202533

read post 5

Upvote 0

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
grrr ok will try uninstalling avast and enabling windows defender but I want to use avast since I'm only 1 short of a invite to get a free 1 year license and avast is fully compatible with windows 8.

Please any more solutions if available then reply. Thanks :(

Upvote 0

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
ok uninstalled avast still same error :(. Please help :(.
Also will post a similar sad story like this tomorrow that had troubled me in the past and the problem didn't get resolved and now again giving me headaches. Bad day for me but if looking at the positive side of it, I atlast discovered of why are these problems occuring. Will post it in detail tomorrow. GN MT :(

**Also I wanted to post a giveaway contest for AIS 1 year License and I'll post about it tomorrow if possible so to the people of giveaway groups please guide me if I should take ur permission and what else things to do for a contest giveaway.

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
try uninstalling apps like Umbra said and reinstall them.if that doesnt work and you have a restore point before this happened then do a system restore to that point.Then you can try installing them again

whizkidraj said:
**Also I wanted to post a giveaway contest for AIS 1 year License and I'll post about it tomorrow if possible so to the people of giveaway groups please guide me if I should take ur permission and what else things to do for a contest giveaway.

As for the giveaway the license has to be valid as in not from a warez site or blog,and you can post your giveaway in the forum.All giveaways are Moderated. Admins & moderators and will review the post and will then approve or deny it after it is reviewed.When you post it you will not see it in the forums immediately.If you see it that means it was approved and if not it was denied

Upvote 0

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I think I know why. Before installing these app updates there is a Windows update you need to apply from the control panel.
Just apply any available windows updates.

Upvote 0

whizkidraj

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Nov 9, 2012
none of the guesses worked so I did a clean install of Windows 8 and now updated and installed all apps. Also uninstalling avast didn't solved the problem and what I wanted to post about that I've discovered before this reinstall of Windows 8 was that I was not able 2 browse the web but yes able to connect it after the install of any 3rd party firewall like of EIS or AIS.
Stopping or disabling their firewalls also didn't solved the problem for me only uninstallling AIS and EIS solved this firewall-internet problem. This is the same problem for which I'd posted this thread
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-Cannot-access-internet-after-EIS-install
and after earning license of AIS i installed that and same for AIS. So now reinstall of win 8 solved both problems.
And about the giveaway no warez, cracks sites license exterminator sir, its the avast promo license I've got after inviting 7 friends.
But now that I can use my AIS with firewall without any problem so I dunno if I would now make a giveaway for it :p
I won't say thank you for now as everytime I say that its like the end of the thread and no replies come :p.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.