Advice Request Windows 8 Developer Preview with developer tools English, 64-bit (x64) 32-bit

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan Wootton

Level 1
Thread author
May 25, 2011
For all those that have not tested windows 8 DP yet here you go :)

x32 - http://wdp.dlws.microsoft.com/WDPDL/9B8DFDFF736C5B1DBF956B89D8A9D4FD925DACD2/WindowsDeveloperPreview-32bit-English.iso
x64 - http://wdp.dlws.microsoft.com/WDPDL/9B8DFDFF736C5B1DBF956B89D8A9D4FD925DACD2/WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English.iso
x64 + SDK - http://wdp.dlws.microsoft.com/WDPDL/9B8DFDFF736C5B1DBF956B89D8A9D4FD925DACD2/WindowsDeveloperPreview-64bit-English-Developer.iso

EDIT Here's how to install it in Vmware enjoy guys
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-Install-Windows-8-In-Vmware

JayJay

Nov 7, 2011
McLovin said:
JayJay said:
Is this like Windows 8 but just the BETA version of it? And if I install it can I still keep all my files and everything I have on here? I'm currently running Vista. Also, If I ever decide I want to go back to Vista will I have to reinstall Vista/Restore my computer back to Factory Default?

I would not recommend installing Windows 8 on your main computer just in case it wipes your Vista. I would do what Nathan said do it in a VM or get a old hard drive that you have lying around the house and use that or even an old computer lying around the house.
Okay. What exactly is VM and what does it do?

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
JayJay said:

A virtual machine (VM) is a software implementation of a machine (i.e. a computer) that executes programs like a physical machine. Virtual machines are separated into two major categories, based on their use and degree of correspondence to any real machine. A system virtual machine provides a complete system platform which supports the execution of a complete operating system (OS). In contrast, a process virtual machine is designed to run a single program, which means that it supports a single process. An essential characteristic of a virtual machine is that the software running inside is limited to the resources and abstractions provided by the virtual machine—it cannot break out of its virtual world.

Basicaly a computer inside a computer that yu can do malware testing on.

If you need help installing a VM, here are some guides on setting them up:

JayJay

Nov 7, 2011
McLovin said:
JayJay said:

A virtual machine (VM) is a software implementation of a machine (i.e. a computer) that executes programs like a physical machine. Virtual machines are separated into two major categories, based on their use and degree of correspondence to any real machine. A system virtual machine provides a complete system platform which supports the execution of a complete operating system (OS). In contrast, a process virtual machine is designed to run a single program, which means that it supports a single process. An essential characteristic of a virtual machine is that the software running inside is limited to the resources and abstractions provided by the virtual machine—it cannot break out of its virtual world.

Basicaly a computer inside a computer that yu can do malware testing on.

If you need help installing a VM, here are some guides on setting them up:

Okay thanks. So what If I decide that I want Vista back if I install that VM, or would I have both and I can just delete VM and it will take Windows 8 with it? Lol sorry I'm confused and just tryin to get as much info.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
JayJay said:
Okay thanks. So what If I decide that I want Vista back if I install that VM, or would I have both and I can just delete VM and it will take Windows 8 with it? Lol sorry I'm confused and just tryin to get as much info.

If you install that VM you will still have your Vista and yes when you uninstall the VM Windows 8 will go with it. You can also have both Vista and the VM at the same time.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
You guys pretty much have the same procedure so I think having multiple guides are not needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.