Advice Request Windows 8 will return Start menu

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Ref: http://www.securitylab.ru/news/438306.php

For those not familiar with Russian:

Comprehensive update Windows Blue will return to the familiar Windows 8 "Start" menu, which is present in previous versions of the OS.

New comprehensive update to Windows 8/RT, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Phone 8 and cloud Outlook.com and called SkyDrive Windows Blue appears in the middle of this year. One of the purposes of this update is to optimize the work and the interest of the users of the operating system from Microsoft.

As requested by users of Windows 8, developers will return to running the usual "Start" menu, which is present in previous versions of Windows. Recall that in the newest version of Windows "Start" button has been replaced by a screen with "live" tiles that reflect the application. This change, of course, suitable for users of devices with touch screens, however, the management of the mouse on the laptop or PC, the interface is not as practical.

According to the Net Applications, the share of Windows 8 operating system market is growing , but demand did not meet projections. One reason for this was just a new interface, not enthused by users. In February of this year, Windows 8 had 2.67% of the OS market, which is slightly higher than the January result of 2.26%. The most popular are still in earlier versions of Windows 7 (44.55%) and Windows XP (38.99%).

Wilders thread

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Will the returning 'Start menu' be optional?

Raul90

Level 14
Feb 5, 2012
In my opinion that "Start Menu" made the new users dislike Windows 8 more. The learning curve was a bit longer as people who were so engrossed with the "Start Menu" crammed their way to know what to do next everytime they encountered anything. Now for those who are now accustomed to that "without Start Menu" this is gonna be another scratch-in-the-head. It should be optional or there'd be a way like in the "themes" to have a Start Menu or not. Just my two cents..

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
I actually like the Start Screen. Sorta functions the same way but better. Oh well.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
If it's gunna be via an update I'd say it's going to be optional, I kinda like the start screen myself now, but given the choice I would return the good ol' start menu.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
To be honest I dont really miss it anymore now that I am used to Windows 8. I would probably use it if it were back as I still mainly use Windows 7.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Hopefully optional or can be enabled/disabled, I don't miss the start button and I'm quite happy with the metro Start Screen. Unless Blue (or what ever it will be named in final) brings some significant updates and positive changes I like, I will be sticking with Windows 8 with how it is.

Thanks.

I

illumination

Thread author
Have to agree, i am already used to the Start screen and actually prefer it to the traditional start button now. I find i can move around faster with the start screen.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Only because most people are complaining about not having the start menu.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
"in our world, only the idiots rules, the smarts are casted away"

BSOD

Level 2
Verified
Sep 29, 2012
Although, from whatever that I have read about Windows Blue, the prospects of the Start Menu coming back is pretty dim. SMenu lovers, I won't get my hopes up if I were you.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Finally Microsoft gives in and lets its users have want they want, it is about time.

I have been using IObit Start Menu 8 on my Windows 8 laptop.
Yes I like the metro as well but there is still a lot of things that can be done much easier with a traditional start menu.

Of coarse I can manage just using the metro titles, but why do several clicks to get one simple task done that just takes one click from a start menu? I don't see the point of having to work so hard when it is just not a better way to do many tasks.

I guess Microsoft finally woke up when they found out the top downloads at almost all download sites for Windows 8 was start menu replacements.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Open Start menu in win7 = 1 click, click the soft = 1 click
Open Start in Win8 = 1 click, click the tile = 1 click

i don't see much differences :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:

Then you need to open your eyes, only programs are listed on the titles.
Most of the computer configuration Like all of the Control Panel items, user folders (Music, Documents, Pictures), Windows Accessories, etc. requires several clicks on the metro but only one click on the Start Menu.
Many items in sub-folders also do not create titles. Which makes navigation very difficult.

Also not all programs create titles on the metro when you install them, I have found several that don't have any titles, the only way that I could start them is to do a search for them, if I could remember what the programs names are. If I forgot about installing a program it is basically lost if I don't go looking for it the the Program Files folders.

I

illumination

Thread author
Littlebits said:
Umbra Corp. said:

Then you need to open your eyes, only programs are listed on the titles.
Most of the computer configuration Like all of the Control Panel items, user folders (Music, Documents, Pictures), Windows Accessories, etc. requires several clicks on the metro but only one click on the Start Menu.
Many items in sub-folders also do not create titles. Which makes navigation very difficult.

Also not all programs create titles on the metro when you install them, I have found several that don't have any titles, the only way that I could start them is to do a search for them, if I could remember what the programs names are. If I forgot about installing a program it is basically lost if I don't go looking for it the the Program Files folders.

You can pin those to the start menu, as far as the control panel ect.. the music/doc/pictures can be accessed via the windows explorer folder pinned to the task bar on the desktop.. I find nothing hard about maneuvering around in windows 8, most cases, it is the users unwillingness to accept change. They want it the way they are used to. Does not mean it really is that difficult. I actually find it faster to move around in then the traditional start menu, and like others, was hesitant from trying it at first, from reading the supposed "difficulties".

N

Nige_40

Thread author
I do not use the Start button in Windows 7, I just the Windows key to access My Control Panel and My Computer. However, I know there are other short cuts like to get to Run Windows key + R and Windows key + F to use the Search and so on.

However, for Shutting down my Computer or log off I just press ALT + F4 < that can be used for Win 7/8

I

illumination

Thread author
Nige_40 said:
I do not use the Start button in Windows 7, I just the Windows key to access My Control Panel and My Computer. However, I know there are other short cuts like to get to Run Windows key + R and Windows key + F to use the Search and so on.

However, for Shutting down my Computer or log off I just press ALT + F4 < that can be used for Win 7/8

I tend to use the short cuts as well.. The windows key on windows 8 becomes a familiar friend! :D

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:

THANK YOU ive been saying this for month's now. settings and pages and icons are moved to different places but THEY ARE ALL THERE.

i learned all the changes about windows 8 UI in just 2 days thanks to google.

for those who says its harder to open control panel,
-start menu way: 1click on start - 1click on control panel icon
-win 8: 1click on lower left corner(right click) - 1click control panel
voodoo you say!? ... hmm i call it GOOGLE

as for libraries i never used them but any folder i wanna have quick access to i pin them to explorer icon on taskbar and nothing has changed about that. just drag any folder or library to explore icon and right click access it.

as for software icons which used to be under folders in start menu all gets created in windows 8 as well. right click on any empty space on metro ad click ALL APP.
another voodoo spell!?

"i hear the drums and village peoples footsteps getting closer, thos bright torch lights, ohhh"

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.