Advice Request Windows 8 will return Start menu

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Ref: http://www.securitylab.ru/news/438306.php

For those not familiar with Russian:

Comprehensive update Windows Blue will return to the familiar Windows 8 "Start" menu, which is present in previous versions of the OS.

New comprehensive update to Windows 8/RT, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Phone 8 and cloud Outlook.com and called SkyDrive Windows Blue appears in the middle of this year. One of the purposes of this update is to optimize the work and the interest of the users of the operating system from Microsoft.

As requested by users of Windows 8, developers will return to running the usual "Start" menu, which is present in previous versions of Windows. Recall that in the newest version of Windows "Start" button has been replaced by a screen with "live" tiles that reflect the application. This change, of course, suitable for users of devices with touch screens, however, the management of the mouse on the laptop or PC, the interface is not as practical.

According to the Net Applications, the share of Windows 8 operating system market is growing , but demand did not meet projections. One reason for this was just a new interface, not enthused by users. In February of this year, Windows 8 had 2.67% of the OS market, which is slightly higher than the January result of 2.26%. The most popular are still in earlier versions of Windows 7 (44.55%) and Windows XP (38.99%).

Wilders thread

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Littlebits said:
Then you need to open your eyes, only programs are listed on the titles.
Most of the computer configuration Like all of the Control Panel items, user folders (Music, Documents, Pictures), Windows Accessories, etc. requires several clicks on the metro but only one click on the Start Menu.
Many items in sub-folders also do not create titles. Which makes navigation very difficult.

on the desktop : Windows + X

3QYPWvp.jpg

Also not all programs create titles on the metro when you install them, I have found several that don't have any titles, the only way that I could start them is to do a search for them, if I could remember what the programs names are. If I forgot about installing a program it is basically lost if I don't go looking for it the the Program Files folders.

Start > right click > All Apps > pin to Start or Taskbar

Then it is easier than start menu; Start was made to avoid showing the advanced tools right away.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
Littlebits said:
Then you need to open your eyes, only programs are listed on the titles.
Most of the computer configuration Like all of the Control Panel items, user folders (Music, Documents, Pictures), Windows Accessories, etc. requires several clicks on the metro but only one click on the Start Menu.
Many items in sub-folders also do not create titles. Which makes navigation very difficult.

on the desktop : Windows + X

3QYPWvp.jpg

Also not all programs create titles on the metro when you install them, I have found several that don't have any titles, the only way that I could start them is to do a search for them, if I could remember what the programs names are. If I forgot about installing a program it is basically lost if I don't go looking for it the the Program Files folders.

Start > right click > All Apps > pin to Start or Taskbar

Then it is easier than start menu; Start was made to avoid showing the advanced tools right away.

I know how to do this but my main question is why would I want to go through all of that trouble when I can just use IObit Start Menu 8 and already have everything setup ready to go?

It wouldn't surprise me that Microsoft decided to do away with Metro Start, it has more negative feedback from users then what Windows Vista has had. It is the major contributing factor why businesses will never upgrade to it because it would cost millions to train their workforce to use it and cost the consumers more for their products and services. A large percentage of the workforce is people over 40 years old and Metro does not appeal to them at all.

It wouldn't be the first time that Microsoft discontinued a new OS features. Remember Windows Sidebar then Gadgets, Windows Search, Microsoft Plus, Active Desktop, Microsoft PowerToys, Microsoft Entertainment Pack, etc.

Most users may ask themselves why should I have to learn how to use Metro when we are not sure Microsoft will keep it around? For Microsoft to give in and add the Start Menu back spells discontinuation for Metro Start.

How would all of the new Metro Start Menu fans fell if Microsoft said thank you for learning all of the unnecessary crap now we have decided to discontinue it and go back to the Start Menu.

I always willing to learn new things if it provides some kind of benefit to make the job easier however this doesn't apply to Metro Start. It offers no benefits over the Start Menu period. Some younger users might like it because it is new and has a cool appearance but it does not make it easier to perform common tasks.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
True but remember that Win8 was build in the perspective of tablet's users; they dont have a mouse or touchpad.

The real question is why MS removed the start menu from the beginning instead of keeping it for desktop user and made it hideable.

I dont use IObit SM because i dont want add a process for something like that.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
True but remember that Win8 was build in the perspective of tablet's users; they dont have a mouse or touchpad.

The real question is why MS removed the start menu from the beginning instead of keeping it for desktop user and made it hideable.

I dont use IObit SM because i dont want add a process for something like that.

Yes that is true but about 85% or more Windows 8 laptops don't include touch screen so you have to use the mouse and keyboard.

I only have four places to buy computers in my local city. When Windows 8 came out, none of them offered touch screen laptops or had touch screen monitors for sale. Most couldn't even special order them.

I checked online and also found most Windows 8 laptops didn't include touch screen and touch screen monitors for desktops are quite expensive.

I agree that using Metro Start with touch screen isn't such of a pain as using it with mouse and keyboard, but still doesn't offer any benefits that I can see.

IObit Start Menu 8 is exactly like the Start Menu on Windows 7, fully customizable. You can't tell any difference when using it.

IObit also offers WinMetro for older Windows that adds Metro to XP, Vista and 7. So if Microsoft decides to discontinue Metro, users can still use WinMetro and have most of its features.

Microsoft knows that they made a mistake removing Start Menu from Windows 8, if they wanted to introduce a new feature like Metro Start they should have gave users the options instead of forcing them to learn it. In many ways Windows 8 is a better OS then Windows 7, but because of the new learning curve many avoided upgrading and gave Windows 8 poor reviews. Microsoft has always been about user friendliness they took a gamble with Windows 8 and lost.

Enjoy!!:D

N

Nige_40

Thread author
Well here is a bunch of Info for Windows 7 and Windows 8 when it comes to keyboard shortcuts.

I put all these together so enjoy:

The full list of keyboard shortcuts includes Windows 7

Window Management Shortcuts

• Win+Home: Clear all but the active window.
• Win+Space: All windows become transparent so you can see through to the desktop.
• Win+Up arrow: Maximize the active window
• Shift+Win+Up arrow: Maximize the active window vertically.
• Win+Down arrow: Minimize the window/Restore the window if it's maximized.
• Win+Left/Right arrows: Dock the window to each side of the monitor.
• Shift+Win+Left/Right arrows: Move the window to the monitor on the left or right

You can also interact with windows by dragging them with the mouse:

• Drag window to the top: Maximize
• Drag window left/right: Dock the window to fill half of the screen.
• Shake window back/forth: Minimize everything but the current window.
• Double-Click Top Window Border (edge): Maximize window vertically.
-------------------------------------
Taskbar Shortcuts
Win+number (1-9): Starts the application pinned to the taskbar in that position, or switches to that program.
Shift+Win+number (1-9): Starts a new instance of the application pinned to the taskbar in that position.
Ctrl+Win+number (1-9): Cycles through open windows for the application pinned to the taskbar in that position.
Alt+Win+number (1-9): Opens the Jump List for the application pinned to the taskbar.
Win+B: Focuses the System Tray icons

In addition, you can interact with the taskbar using your mouse and a modifier key:

Shift+Click on a taskbar button: Open a program or quickly open another instance of a program.
Ctrl+Shift+Click on a taskbar button: Open a program as an administrator.
Shift+Right-click on a taskbar button: Show the window menu for the program (like XP does).
Shift+Right-click on a grouped taskbar button: Show the window menu for the group.
Ctrl+Click on a grouped taskbar button: Cycle through the windows of the group.
More Useful Hotkeys You Should Know
Ctrl+Shift+N: Creates a new folder in Windows Explorer.
Alt+Up: Goes up a folder level in Windows Explorer.
Alt+P: Toggles the preview pane in Windows Explorer.
Shift+Right-Click on a file: Adds Copy as Path, which copies the path of a file to the clipboard.
Shift+Right-Click on a file: Adds extra hidden items to the Send To menu.
Shift+Right-Click on a folder: Adds Command Prompt Here, which lets you easily open a command prompt in that folder.

Win+P: Adjust presentation settings for your display.

Win+(+/-): Zoom in/out.

Win+G: Cycle between the Windows Gadgets on your screen.

The list of keyboard shortcuts for Windows 8

Win+start typing: Search your PC
Ctrl+plus (+) or Ctrl+minus (-) : Zoom in or out of a large number of items, like apps pinned to the Start screen
Ctrl+scroll wheel: Zoom in or out of a large number of items, like apps pinned to the Start screen
Win+ C: Open the charms
Win+F: Open the Search charm to search files
Win +H: Open the Share charm
Win+I: Open the Settings charm
Win+J: Switch the main app and snapped app
Win+K: Open the Devices charm
Win+O: Lock the screen orientation (portrait or landscape)
Win+Q: Open the Search charm to search apps
Win+W: Open the Search charm to search settings
Win+Z: Show the commands available in the app
Win+Spacebar: Switch input language and keyboard layout
Win+CTRL+Spacebar: Change to a previously selected input
Win+Tab: Cycle through open apps (except desktop apps)
Win+CTRL+Tab: Cycle through open apps (except desktop apps) and snap them as they are cycled
Win+Shirt+Tab: Cycle through open apps (except desktop apps) in reverse order
Win+PgUP: Move the Start screen and apps to the monitor on the left (Apps in the desktop won’t change monitors)
Win+PgDown: Move the Start screen and apps to the monitor on the right (apps in the desktop won’t change monitors)
Win+Shift+period(.): Snaps an app to the left
Win+period(.): Snaps an app to the right

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Let's say it could be a good start for Windows however people tends to be confuse at all through Metro Interface lately so they must decide promptly before removing the Start Menu.

And let's say a new signature for Windows 8, something different from the other flavors.

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Me too Littlebits, but I guess more will be revealed over the coming days :)

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
According to some of the comments the button leads to the All Apps view of the start screen. I can just imagine the meeting where that was concluded. "They want a menu of every app? Fine, we shall shove every damn shortcut in their face!"
:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The All Apps, Win+Q is not very practical. That was the reason for a Start Screen. Personalised for you. Simple, customisable and easy to understand.

I don't think the Start Menu (of Windows 7) will return, if you think about Windows RT / Touch users. :sleepy:

Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
From what I've read the start button will just take you to Metro.

N

Nige_40

Thread author
info I had is on a other part of forum. to do with Win 8.1

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Same logo start menu from its third party application however a matter of taste advertisement to make people encourage well to try 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.