Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Source: OPSWAT MetaDefender Cloud | Windows Anti-malware Market Share Report

OPSWAT’s streamlined Market Share Report provides monthly updates on the market share of leading anti-malware vendors and products. This report focuses on the market share of anti-malware products versus traditional antivirus engines, as they offer protection from a greater range of threats such as PUAs, ransomware, spyware, keyloggers and botnets. For each vendor represented in this report, additional data is available on the market share of the vendor’s individual products.

The data in this report was generated on October 29th, 2018 and includes data collected in the last 6 months from users of our free tools including MetaDefender Cloud Client. MetaDefender Cloud Client is an endpoint forensics tool that can scan endpoints for malware and vulnerabilities using more than 30 anti-malware and vulnerability engines and can scan drive boots sectors. The purpose of this report is to inspire discussion in the anti-malware community and report on the security practices of our free users. The information in this report is representative of over 40 million data points collected from thousands of live Windows machines and includes both corporate and home users.

Although Microsoft is heavily saturated in the anti-malware product market, we have excluded this vendor because we feel that its products do not accurately represent the user's product of choice as they come pre-installed on many Windows systems and cannot be removed. We also have previous Market Share Reports available for comparing data from past reports. OPSWAT is committed to providing both timely and accurate information in these reports.

1541508722579.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I wonder why Windows Defender doesn't even make it into the list. Is this chart only about 3rd party anti malware?

Although Microsoft is heavily saturated in the anti-malware product market, we have excluded this vendor because we feel that its products do not accurately represent the user's product of choice as they come pre-installed on many Windows systems and cannot be removed. We also have previous Market Share Reports available for comparing data from past reports. OPSWAT is committed to providing both timely and accurate information in these reports.

Right. The results make no sense. Webroot is virtually unknown, and Symantec is a giant.

Webroot is promoted heavily in the U.S. by Best Buy\Geek Squad. When a person buys a new PC and they get a free AV, often Best Buy sales rep pushes Webroot. Webroot also tries to run programs with banking institutions where a bank customer will get free Webroot.

Symantec is Symantec. It does not automatically include Norton.

One has to read the report notes. Statistics are never what they seem. For example, the data collection is essentially representative of English localized systems.

However, Avast and Malwarebytes are perpetually first and second because of the huge number of people using Avast Free and Malwarebytes Free - both being promoted heavily everywhere.

Edit: No Malwarebytes Free is reported; only paid MB is reported.

Last edited by a moderator:

people still using avast and malwarebytes in 2018 almost 2019.....

OPSWAT does not report only paid. It reports the data it actually collects.

To see each product, you have to click on each publisher name.

For example, Bitdefender is shown as having high % of entperprise and BIS is a small number whereas KIS is a many multiples of BIS.

These statistics are prone to errors or skew because they represent only English-reading users.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
Avast(free) and its somewhat not-so-aggressive marketing to buy commercial version and its cheap to buy Pro
Malwarebytes (reputation of the best PUP etc remover)
Mcafee (bundled)
ESET (for its low resource usage(i/o writes, good for SSD)
Bitdefender (very very heavy on some machines, but the TOP of the AVs)
Webroot (bundled, infact i bought a license, they're gettin better and better)
Kaspersky(The best, but, its Russian, so not for me)
Avira (very heavy resource usage, at least fer me)
Sophos (web based control center is not fer me)
Emsisoft (good above average, the best support(and friendly).
Norton, Symantec (Very effective and light on resources)
GDATA (well, bad support, but i do like their Dual Engine and BB. Its even catch some nasties that their BD signs do not)

So for the not-so-tech-savvy(elders, mums, dads), i do recommend:
-Norton Symantec (their autopilot is really good, very light on resources)
-Bitdefender (great autopilot and good for removing malwares)

And for gaming:
-Webroot
-Eset

E

Eddie Morra

(well, bad support, but i do like their Dual Engine and BB. Its even catch some nasties that their BD signs do not)
They probably implement optimisation to detect malware which the Bitdefender signatures do not already detect and remove signatures from their own engine when Bitdefender signatures start causing a detection (or exclude certain conflicting Bitdefender signatures).

I cannot confirm this as being factual because I do not work there - it is an estimation - but I'd be surprised if they did not optimise the implementations through ways like this... it would reduce the load on disk usage, memory usage and scan performance.

Reactions: vtqhtr413
E

Eddie Morra

Remember to bear the following in mind...

The data in this report was generated on October 29th, 2018 and includes data collected in the last 6 months from users of our free tools including MetaDefender Cloud Client. MetaDefender Cloud Client is an endpoint forensics tool that can scan endpoints for malware and vulnerabilities using more than 30 anti-malware and vulnerability engines and can scan drive boots sectors. The purpose of this report is to inspire discussion in the anti-malware community and report on the security practices of our free users. The information in this report is representative of over 40 million data points collected from thousands of live Windows machines and includes both corporate and home users.

Only English-language versions of our free products are available, so countries with higher numbers of English speakers are expected to use these applications at higher rates.

These applications are marketed in OPSWAT’s own channels. Users sampled may not be representative of the general population.

It's worth noting though the following though.

1. The report statistics indicate that 12.85% of Avast's market share comes from the Free Antivirus.

2. The report statistics indicate that the 12.49% of Malwarebyte's market share comes from the Anti-Malware Premium. The market share indicator is not involving the free version nor the endpoint version.

3. The report statistics indicate that 9.29% of McAfee's market share comes from the Endpoint Security.

If you click on the statistic information for each vendor in the table, you'll be able to see which products make up a contributing percentage to the total percentage shown on the report. You may be asked to fill in information when doing it multiple times after using the Back option but you can avoid this by refreshing the page.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Well this thread didn't have those info or even link to the article when I wrote my comment. There was only a picture of the chart.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.