Advice Request Windows core isolation or CFA memory protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Jan Willy

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
My question: offers Windows core isolation a stronger protection as the memory protection from Controlled Folder Access (CFA)?
The question can be relevant because core isolation is not always possible, for example when it conflicts with a not compatible driver.
Could CFA-memory protection in that case be an equal alternative?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Like @security123 said, they are two different things. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Most home users don't enable Memory integrity.

What trouble does it wreak on Defender network protection?

Jan Willy

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Like @security123 said, they are two different things. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Most home users don't enable Memory integrity.

What trouble does it wreak on Defender network protection?
Windows own driver for network security service is not compatible (event 7000). LOL.
Edit
I hadn't seen the message from Gandalf.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Since i installed windows 10 in 2015 , i have not used core isolation ( protecting memory) because my mobile modem drivers were uncompatible with it

coreisolation.png

Lately i bought new 4g modem with actual router + so i can use ethernet cable instead of usb c, wich makes it possible to use core isolation

But the problem with core isolation turned on is , performance loss. Should i turn this off if it affects to my gaming, i mostly get 50 fps on java based game, but nowadays with core isolation its bouncing between 10-50

Is this thing worth the possible performance loss? Im not upgrading this system to windows 11, just running it windows 10 until i buy 11 desktop

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Since i installed windows 10 in 2015 , i have not used core isolation ( protecting memory) because my mobile modem drivers were uncompatible with it

Lately i bought new 4g modem with actual router + so i can use ethernet cable instead of usb c, wich makes it possible to use core isolation

But the problem with core isolation turned on is , performance loss. Should i turn this off if it affects to my gaming, i mostly get 50 fps on java based game, but nowadays with core isolation its bouncing between 10-50

Is this thing worth the possible performance loss? Im not upgrading this system to windows 11, just running it windows 10 until i buy 11 desktop

My user experience with enabled Core Isolation, works well with MD on Windows 10. No issues even with KSC free or F-Secure Safe.
Performance, I had never any issue. However, I'm not a gamer...
Protection wise, how effective really is Core Isolation? some people said isn't worth others said just the opposite ;)

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
My user experience with enabled Core Isolation, works well with MD on Windows 10. No issues even with KSC free or F-Secure Safe.
Performance, I had never any issue. However, I'm not a gamer...
Protection wise, how effective really is Core Isolation? some people said isn't worth others said just the opposite ;)
For me the difference is like day and night, with core isolation on i cant run game on full hd ( old java game) because fps is soo low. And with core isolation off i can run it full hd 60 fps wich is capped. The game is only using one core wich makes it sounds crazy that im talking about full hd in game

I though its problem with edge, then i went to antivirus and even swappped it... and now i realised i had core isolation turned off for whole 7 years i had this desktop , so core isolation on it somehow messes with my amd cpu i guess

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.