7*/7​
14*/14​
No
Infected/Not Clean

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

it will be better but I don't expect it to block everything

Well to be fair, I think it's unrealistic to expect it to block everything, same goes for every product. Don't get me wrong, I love what you are doing and have zero issues with it, I think it's awesome you are back to testing(y):),

This is not directed at you at all, but I just want to make light of the fact that if the exception is that WD, or any product that is tested on the HUB, needs to be perfect and infection free all the time, well I think that's a very unrealistic expectation. It's no different than someone saying that a product that got 98% on AV-Comparatives sucks. Since when did 98% become a failure, I would be happy to say that I got 98% on all my tests throughout school. From my understanding the HUB was never meant designed to pit products against each other and was never intended to be used as a way to choose a product. If one wants to look at tests to decided which product to use, that's fine, but one should look at all tests, not just specific ones with the assumption that test x is more important than test y. What I mean is, when you look at all their professional tests as a whole WD has definitely improved. Now I'm not saying they are more important than the HUB, I like what everyone that participates in the HUB is doing, but one cannot say that the HUB should be rated higher than the other ones, that's just cherry picking results. Every test will have pro's and con's, nothing is perfect, but one should look at all tests, not just one or 2.

For the record, I'm not here to make excuses for WD, the results are the results, but I just think there's an unrealistic expectation that products need to pretty much be infection free every time in order to be considered good. This isn't just about WD, it's about all products that are tested on the HUB. As I always say, no product is perfect, every product will miss things and to think otherwise is silly. There's a lot of great products out there, choose which ever one works best for you. At the end of the day if someone gets infected, it doesn't matter how well is scored on the HUB, or on any test for that matter, fact is the person still got infected.;)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
My purpose of testing all products is to find their weaknesses :)
Then, if the products are good enough, I can use 1 of them for myself or my friends and patch the weaknesses with some free tools

My concern is what AV I should install on PCs of average users when they ask me

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

My purpose of testing all products is to find their weaknesses :)
Then, if the products are good enough, I can use 1 of them for myself or my friends and patch the weaknesses with some free tools

My concern is what AV I should install on PCs of average users when they ask me

That's totally fair in my books and very understandable:)(y)

Again, my post was never directed at you or what you are doing by any means, but rather the mentality that people have when it comes to test results of products (as a whole) and their unrealistic expectations of them. For me, I've always been an advocate of educating users on proper security habits 1st and then talk about security programs, but more often than not it's the other way around. They way I see it, if someone is concerned for average users who aren't techies/security geeks, than either lock down their system if the rely of Windows, or better yet, if they don't need Windows, switch them to Chrome OS, or another Linux variant. An example I just though of very recently is, if someone is constantly getting into car accidents because they go through stop signs/red lights and then they have someone that tells them, to avoid getting into a accident, they need buy a faster car. Instead of changing their driving habits and practicing good safe driving skills, they buy the faster car. So, they still practice unsafe driving, maybe getting into slightly less car accidents, but chances are they will still get into a car accident as the "faster car" won't prevent accidents every time.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
How about testing free or paid Panda Dome? Panda is very light and i don't see eating RAM with Procesor.
I tested panda free 1 week ago with old sample pack. Panda failed so badly. Extremely poor result
totally not recommended
panda paid is better thanks to application control

panda is only good against 1 week-old malwares but useless against 2-3 day-old malwares

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
which free antivirus did the best job then?
1/ Kaspersky security cloud free or kaspersky free (cloud free has more customizations, can be tweaked for better speed)
2/ Avast/AVG free: only comparable to kaspersky after being tweaked for better security, performance and telemetry is blocked. After being fully tweaked, avast is even less vulnerable than kaspersky, no joke
3/ Comodo firewall or comodo cloud AV without antivirus module (because AV module weak): use cruelsister's tweak. Super light but very prone to false positives. Totally not recommended for novice users or users from non-English speaking countries
4/ Bitdefender free: personally, I dislike it although it does well. It has so many limitations and flaws

second tier:
- Windows Defender: we need extra knowledge to use it. Otherwise, we are prone to infection due to WD's vulnerabilities (where WD users can get infections when they shouldn't in ideal conditions)

Kaspersky is probably my first choice to recommend to others, verbally. Avast is my choice if I set up a PC myself

Last edited:

beavisviruses

Level 3
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
1/ Kaspersky security cloud free or kaspersky free (cloud free has more customizations, can be tweaked for better speed)
2/ Avast/AVG free: only comparable to kaspersky after being tweaked for better security, performance and telemetry is blocked. After being fully tweaked, avast is even less vulnerable than kaspersky, no joke
3/ Comodo firewall or comodo cloud AV without antivirus module (because AV module weak): use cruelsister's tweak. Super light but very prone to false positives. Totally not recommended for novice users or users from non-English speaking countries
4/ Bitdefender free: personally, I dislike it although it does well. It has so many limitations and flaws

second tier:
- Windows Defender: we need extra knowledge to use it. Otherwise, we are prone to infection due to WD's vulnerabilities (where WD users can get infections when they shouldn't in ideal conditions)

Kaspersky is probably my first choice to recommend to others, verbally. Avast is my choice if I set up a PC myself
Avast better than kaspersky ? xD PLEASE .......

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avast better than kaspersky ? xD PLEASE .......
I know what I'm talking about and verified by real test. Avast is not good in default settings (you must agree) but when you combine fully tweaked avast with syshardener, it is harder to penetrate
I've been playing around with avast for 5 years and kaspersky for 2 years
I know their strengths and weaknesses

Kaspersky default >> avast default
kapsersky tweaked > avast tweaked
kaspersky tweaked (free) + syshardener < avast tweaked + syshardener

syshardener patches avast's weaknesses while it cannot fully patch kaspersky's. Kaspersky's cons are harder to solve

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.