Windows Defender - MAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
As i am new to Windows Defender so asking which MAPS setting is good. i am using Advanced Membership.

Windows Defender[/font]]
image.png

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
It gives detailed information to Microsoft about the malware it finds. It's good to have that enable if you want Microsoft to improve their Malware Database I guess.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Ok, Thanks. Now Microsoft has made Windows Defender better from the Past time.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
MrExplorer said:
Ok, Thanks. Now Microsoft has made Windows Defender better from the Past time.

Not as far as I know. Always thought that it's been there for a while now? could be wrong.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Windows Defender is making his AV for the users who has only Basic Knowledge. But i find many AV which are easy & Good.
Trend Micro
ESET Smart Seucirty

arsenaloyal

Level 3
Verified
Aug 6, 2012
I don't think its AV for users with basic knowledge,its rather out of the box AV in the system because many people do not renew the subscription of an AV when it expires and let the pc's remain unprotected,in such a case windows defender will automatically enable itself.

with regards to MAPS with the basic membership on it did detect a few more PUP than without it,so its partially like a cloud.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
arsenaloyal said:
I don't think its AV for users with basic knowledge,its rather out of the box AV in the system because many people do not renew the subscription of an AV when it expires and let the pc's remain unprotected,in such a case windows defender will automatically enable itself.

with regards to MAPS with the basic membership on it did detect a few more PUP than without it,so its partially like a cloud.

Does it make any difference for me if I set it to advanced?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Either using standard or advance is fine enough as long it will gather some information when files are unknown to be sent in analysis. :)

avastalicious

Verified
Jan 30, 2013
MrExplorer said:
Windows Defender is making his AV for the users who has only Basic Knowledge.

Well I disagree here.

In my opinion it is more suitable for advanced users that know what they're doing and don't rely 100% on their antivirus to save their arse if something goes wrong, and just need a simple security solution for an added layer of defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.