Windows defender moves to 12 updates a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Lee

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2014
So basically what you are saying is that you don't trust Microsoft/their security (Windows Defender) yet you are running their OS on your system?
You can trust Microsoft's OS without necessarily trusting their AV. I for one don't trust Windows Defender. Lucky for us, (myself included) there are other third party AVs that do a better job than Windows Defender.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
it's improving the signature-based protection, and it's one of the protection package Microsoft has provide like smart screen, UAC. this combination is powerful gun, but it depends on man behind the gun
During my last test on cerber 3 ransomware, WD has detected the sample, a few minutes later that it had encrypted a good percentage of the files. Better late than never but ...

W

Wave

You can trust Microsoft's OS without necessarily trusting their AV. I for one don't trust Windows Defender. Lucky for us, (myself included) there are other third party AVs that do a better job than Windows Defender.
If Microsoft want to steal something from you or want to do something with malicious intentions, they don't need you to use their Windows Defender to do it. They can easily install a backdoor into the OS to remotely steal your files and send them to their servers anytime they like, whether it's legal or not, and they can easily conceal up the evidence of them doing this... So using their OS but not trusting their AV security (which is built-in by default) doesn't make much sense to me really, but that is just my personal take on the situation. :)

And Windows Defender is very damn effective as long as the user pays attention. Sure, third-party AVs have behavioural zero-day protection features, but they aren't necessary if the user pays attention and isn't click happy. :)

W

Wave

What Microsoft are doing is good, people shouldn't be forced to pay tons of money to help secure their system up a bit more if they don't have time to spend a dozen months learning and educating themselves - although learning basics is quick and easy and everyone should do it as applying basic safety rules when using the internet and having a backup friend (e.g. Windows Defender) is always a good idea.

Windows Defender is more than enough to stay secure if you keep your eyes open and don't tire them out from being click-happy... Other vendors will be annoyed at the direction Microsoft is going, but they're interest is mainly in money as opposed to the user. Microsoft have so much money they couldn't care less if they make more from the security or not... Which is positive for users of the newer versions of Windows.

The way I see it: Microsoft own the Windows Operating System and people pay money to own a license for the OS (depending on the situation of course - e.g. I had a free upgrade to Windows 10). Therefore, us as the customers are entitled to protection which we may necessarily need, as opposed to what we want. We may want fancy features in Kaspersky Internet Security or Avast Internet Security, cool, we can go pay for that too... Or we could stick with what we actually need for free at no additional cost, and still stay secure as long as we pay attention and follow good advice from others (like on this forum, people can get advice on staying secure by applying good online practices, which we then share on-to other people after being educated).

Other vendors can throw the toys out the pram out of jealousy of potentially being hit off the market with Microsoft doing things like automatically disabling their products and enabling Windows Defender (recently seen on the news, there was a thread the other day by @frogboy about it, and Kaspersky was complaining) but let's face the facts here.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
It was about damn time. 24 hour update cycles are something I haven't seen in avast! since 2004. Yeah, even back then they already had updates every 4 hours and on every successful internet connection. Basically, when you booted up the computer and connection was established, it updated and then every 4 hours. avast! today updates like every 3 minutes with micro updates, but Windows Defender moving to at least 2 hours is certainly a welcomed change that is rivaling many other programs even today. Like AVG with its still 24 hours update cycles. Or AVIRA's same 2 hour cycles, although AVIRA has a way more aggressive and functional cloud than Windows Defender. It's certainly a very positive change. Now they just have to fix stupendously slow on-access scanner and Windows Defender will become a serious option.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Though I trust MS and would put WD as one of my top favs as an AV my only gripe for it is that it slows my computer to a crawl. No problems with periodic scanning and let it update itself in case of some dire emergency or uninstalling Avast. But so much resources are used for me. Going to stick being Avast fanboy but as a default seems really good never seemed to have good performance results with anything but Avast. I use edge as my default browser too! (Using the Free version)

Reactions: frogboy

Axelrod Sven

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 11, 2016
Took them long enough to get aggressive. The more they scale up against Cyberthreats, the more they will be trusted by the Small Office and Enterprise community. This may or may not be their goal...but it's a significant advantage over Android for Work seeing as the number of Android exploits that are available. Plus, like mobile phones... Android PC makers may not offer the same update advantages that Windows does.

russ0408

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jul 28, 2013
Is anyone else having this problem with Windows Defender asking to scan all the time. I even let my computer run all day to see what would happen, and it still asked to be scanned. I want to use Defender but asking to scan all the time gets annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.