Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
What are you all talking about so is my update behind i'm confused. My pc is configured by me no app was used. I used Group Policy to configure my pc as always for yrs.
I cannot see anything confusing here. Your WD updates are like for most people. You have got the last stable platform update.(y)
We are trying to understand why some people can get the beta platform updates without asking for them.:)

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I do not restrict the telemetry, so Application Experience, Customer Experience Improvement Program, and Windows Error Reporting scheduled tasks are enabled.
I turned off the privacy options:

View attachment 245614
Me too but i allow (re-)starting programs on Windows restart.
privacy.png

On which level is your diagnostic level? Mine is on "required"

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Oddly, we have gotten yet another update to the Platform. My version on here is now 4.18.2008.9. At times, I force definition updates and did so just now and look what turned up. Thing is, what does this do?

Clicking on the link for the changelog brought me to this page that contained an older client version. Not much info there, I'm afraid.

antimalplat.png

A snip of my registry vis a vis the keys for MpEngine. :unsure:

mpeng.PNG

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
After I used the command line reg fix and the platform updated, the "MpCampRing" and other entries under MpEngine disappeared. I use only Basic telemetry, which would explain why I had to seek the platform update. I'm still on 4.18.2008.4, which is the first version that fixes the NIS problem, so content not to "seek" anymore.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Does the Windows Defender network inspection service run when Windows Defender is only your secondary antivirus?
You meant as secondary AV "Microsoft/Windows Defender Offline Scan" and using instead 3rd-party AV ?
In this case above, Network Inspection Service isn't running by default!

Level 1
Verified
Dec 30, 2017
I guess it does nothing then if we set it to run automatically when Windows Defender's real-time protection is turned off, right? Shame.

Anyway, I suggested something else in the feedback hub: Windows Insider Program
No idea whether it is technically doable, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Protomartyr

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I guess it does nothing then if we set it to run automatically when Windows Defender's real-time protection is turned off, right? Shame.

Anyway, I suggested something else in the feedback hub: Windows Insider Program
No idea whether it is technically doable, though.
It's part of Windows Defender so it makes sense that it doesn't work without Windows Defender. I'm sure reporting it to Microsoft won't do any help regarding this. There could have been compatibility issue with other products if it would work with WD turned off so that's how it is.

Level 1
Verified
Dec 30, 2017
It's part of Windows Defender so it makes sense that it doesn't work without Windows Defender. I'm sure reporting it to Microsoft won't do any help regarding this. There could have been compatibility issue with other products if it would work with WD turned off so that's how it is.

Microsoft has a strange way to figure out what belongs to what. Windows firewall is called Windows Defender Firewall for some reason, which made me wonder how much this feature relies on the real-time antivirus being on. That’s something I believe they could check it out. I’ve done just an insider's feedback, which doesn’t mean much, less than two cents. 😊
However, if they could safely make it work as an independent module altogether like the firewall already is, that would mean a welcome feature.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I force definition updates before shutting the machine down. Got yet another platform update so the version is changed. New:

antplat.PNG

No meaningful changelog when clicking the link in Definition Updates section of Settings/Windows Updates History.
Since the Network Inspection Service issue is resolved, I didn't know where else to put this information.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.