Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Hmm I wonder if Windows 10 Education is better than a Chromebook. Neat tools/extra features vs speed and stability.

Reactions: frogboy

Hmm I wonder if Windows 10 Education is better than a Chromebook. Neat tools/extra features vs speed and stability.

Windows Education does not come with Windows Defender ATP. ATP requires a separate subscription.

Education has Device Guard, Application Guard, AppLocker, BitLocker, Group Policy, Windows Defender (non-ATP) and Windows Firewall. Still, Chromebook is probably more secure simply because the platform isn't targeted to any significant degree.

Chromebooks could benefit from better hardware. A lot of the "instability" is due to the hardware. Anyway, the more capable (and stable) Chromebooks at $500+ are overpriced in my opinion.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
My school is fairly small (25 people) everyone has a chromebook and they work fairly well, the exception is they have a bunch of filters that block certain sites and when they recently added a new filer I was the unfortunate one that ended up having his computer unusable after. Quite strange lol

Reactions: frogboy

My school is fairly small (25 people) everyone has a chromebook and they work fairly well, the exception is they have a bunch of filters that block certain sites and when they recently added a new filer I was the unfortunate one that ended up having his computer unusable after. Quite strange lol

Resetting the OS didn't fix it ?

Reactions: DJ Panda

remco8264

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 7, 2015
This is all for Windows volume licenses (e.g. Education and Enterprise only - and not for Home and Pro)

ATP and Application Guard are Enterprise only. Other features like Exploit Guard and the cloud protection improvements will be coming to all editions.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Resetting the OS didn't fix it ?
The principle is in the process of doing that. Hopefully by Monday it will be working. It was me and a couple other students, you'd attempt logging onto your google account then as soon you sucsessfully "logged in," you would get a black screen then a reboot.

ATP and Application Guard are Enterprise only. Other features like Exploit Guard and the cloud protection improvements will be coming to all editions.

Can you please provide a source where Microsoft explicitly and openly states that Exploit Guard will be a part of Home and Pro ?

Also, not everything being tested in Insider Builds is automatically shipped with Windows Home and Pro.

Everything covered in the Ignite conference is for volume licensing Windows versions only.

ATP is not even included in Enterprise & Education; ATP is actually a service and requires a separate subscription license.

Last edited by a moderator:

remco8264

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 7, 2015
Can you please provide a source where Microsoft explicitly and openly states that Exploit Guard will be a part of Home and Pro ?

With ATP you get more detailed reports for Exploit Guard, but the feature itself is part of the Security Center and works without ATP. As Boredog said, it's currently part of all SKU's. While this may change, it's unlikely as the Fall Creators Update is almost done.

Also:

Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard

''You do not need to deploy or install Windows Defender Antivirus or any other additional software to take advantage of these settings, and WDEG will be available on every Windows 10 PC running the Fall Creators Update.''

Apply mitigations to help prevent attacks through vulnerabilities

''Exploit protection works best with Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection - which gives you detailed reporting into Windows Defender EG events and blocks as part of the usual alert investigation scenarios.''

''The following requirements must be met before Exploit protection will work:

Windows 10 version

Insider Preview build 16232 or later (dated July 1, 2017 or later)

Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection
For full reporting you need a license for Windows Defender ATP''

Everything covered in the Ignite conference is for volume licensing Windows versions only.

Yes, it is aimed at IT pro's. Doesn't mean that everything is only for VL licenses.

Reactions: Dave Russo

With ATP you get more detailed reports for Exploit Guard, but the feature itself is part of the Security Center and works without ATP. As Boredog said, it's currently part of all SKU's. While this may change, it's unlikely as the Fall Creators Update is almost done.

Also:

Moving Beyond EMET II – Windows Defender Exploit Guard

''You do not need to deploy or install Windows Defender Antivirus or any other additional software to take advantage of these settings, and WDEG will be available on every Windows 10 PC running the Fall Creators Update.''

Apply mitigations to help prevent attacks through vulnerabilities

''Exploit protection works best with Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection - which gives you detailed reporting into Windows Defender EG events and blocks as part of the usual alert investigation scenarios.''

''The following requirements must be met before Exploit protection will work:

Windows 10 version

Insider Preview build 16232 or later (dated July 1, 2017 or later)

Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection
For full reporting you need a license for Windows Defender ATP''

Yes, it is aimed at IT pro's. Doesn't mean that everything is only for VL licenses.

I know about Windows Defender ATP as I use it.

Until Microsoft officially and explicitly states "this feature will be included on Home and Pro versions" I wouldn't bet the farm on unofficial announcements made by a Microsoft employee on TechNet and MSDN blogs. In fact, the entire article which you reference is written within the context of volume licensing.

Microsoft is notorious for their "double-speak." This is intentional on their part.

Virtually all their announcements through various channels applies to volume licensing - which means Enterprise & Education - unless they explicitly state otherwise.

TechNet and MSDN do not represent Microsoft's official position on anything. Those are simply technical resource communities and user-supported for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: XhenEd
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.