Advice Request Windows Defender signature update and Windows 10 Game mode

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Hi everyone, I would like to know how many times does Windows Defender updates signatures per day?
I also would like to know if the Windows 10 Game Mode stops Windows Defender tasks for better performance while gaming like it does with Windows Updates.

I am on Windows 10 build 2004, I would like to know if you guys can see: "Allows Microsoft Defender to update and communicate over a metered connection" option in the Group Policy, I dont have this option but seems some people have it:

Sorry for my bad english.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Windows Defender updates its signature once per day by default and this usually happens couple of minutes after you turn on your PC when a windows update check is done. If you turn off and turn on your PC multiple times a day then WD may update its signature multiple times. So as long as you let it automatically update after turning on your PC, it shouldn't update while you're playing games.

Last edited:

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Windows Defender updates its signature once per day by default and this usually happens couple of minutes after your turn on your PC when a windows update check is done. If you turn off and turn on your PC multiple times a day then WD may update its signature multiple times. So as long as you let it automatically update after turning on your PC, it shouldn't update while you're playing games.
So that means that Windows 10 Game Mode doesnt affect Windows Defender?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Windows 10 Game Mode, when activated, will devote considerably more resources to an application, turn off notifications, and shutdown or slowdown most background activities, thus improving performance and establishing a consistent user experience. CPU stealing background apps like file indexing, feature updates, and malware scans will have to wait while you get some work done.
According to this, game mode should take it into the account, but MS tends to forget little details, plus game mode can even slow down some games.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
So that means that Windows 10 Game Mode doesnt affect Windows Defender?
I think it doesn't as far as updates are concerned. But like I said, updates are done after you turn on your PC so WD won't interfere with your games. Also you may add your game folders to exclusion if you want to make sure loading time isn't hampered.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.