Windows Defender Vs Avira Free

Reactions: Bill7

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I guarantee (without checking) the majority of votes will be Avira Free Antivirus.

Why?
- Better detection than Windows Defender
- Avira Protection Cloud to upload unknown samples to their cloud database (ie. zero-day protection)
- Lighter on system resources
- Faster at removing infected items

@kuttan It would be good to know who will be using the computer, is it for yourself who is knowledgeable and aware of warez-risks, or another person who isn't? Otherwise see my first sentence.

In my opinion, both are equal.

Kuttz

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
@Huracan There are still some people who use Windows Defender as there primary anti malware solution. Both Windows Defender and Avira Free had some similarities like no Behavior blocker, Sandboxing, Web scanning etc etc but Avira Free do had vastly better detection rate than Windows Defender can do. If people who prefers Windows Defender due to its simplicity and low resource usage then Avira free would be a much better alternative for such people. This comparison was intended for people to think about Avira Free over there current weaker Windows defender:p.

Last edited:

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
I remember that when win 10 was just released, only windows defender can utilize some new security features (sorry I forget the name...) provided by win 10.
I do not know whether the latest version of the other antivirus programs can utilize those new features or not...

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
Also Windows Defender just got a Triple AAA certification from Dennis Technology Labs for the very first time so Defender might get a competitor to Antivirus softwares soon :)

It already improved noticably.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I asked Webroot if they had implemented ASMI yet, didn't get a straight answer. Wonder if any AVs have it yet?
A very valid and good question and I belive more customers should reach out to there vendors and ask. This forum even have some members that are genuine developers so it would be interesting if they also could answer with there knowledge. :)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
What about the system impact of windows defender?
In the past, I heard that defender will slow down the system when user is entering a folder containing many executable files.
I hope to know whether this problem has already been solved.

Secondmineboy

Level 26
Verified
May 25, 2014
What about the system impact of windows defender?
In the past, I heard that defender will slow down the system when user is entering a folder containing many executable files.
I hope to know whether this problem has already been solved.

That particular issue still exists, but overall the performance seems to have gotten better :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well if we are talking on such wide variety of detection capabilities then Avira and other 3rd party should have more edge than WD.

However the function of AMSI which incorporated in WD helps to improve on other so common but totally often infection vector, the point here too that even though improved however the limit still insist. (Baseline)

For us its already sufficient but for some they should consider something alternatives based on risk level.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.