Battle Windows Defender vs Comodo Antivirus

toto

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I am currently running Windows Defender and I think it fits my needs because I only use this laptop for streaming media, Microsoft Office work, social media browsing, nothing much....
I have Comodo on a copy of Windows 10 on a virtual box just to test it, and I find it to be very light on resources.
Do you guys think that Comodo can be lighter than Windows Defender
*I just need an antivirus to sit there in case something unexpected happens, like the Ccleaner thing :p
I need the lightest of the two according to your experience.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
comodo antivirus does not have sandbox + poorer than poor signatures => never touch it
comodo internet security, CCAV, firewal have the sandbox

some people reported comodo with offline signatures (CAV and CIS) caused significant slowdown to their machines while comodo cloud AV and comodo firewall don't, much much lighter

I recommend using CCAV in your case if you need an AV. CF is also OK but cloud signatures are not as good as CCAV. CF's sandbox is more powerful than CCAV's sandbox but I think CCAV in default settings should be enough
smartscreen + CCAV + a good browser filter (avira browser safety, norton safe web + google chrome safe browsing), you would be fine

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'd say anything Comodo (cloud,virus and security) is a step up from Windows Defender, which IMO... is like having Avira installed, but without great signatures. I would say though, choose the Comodo Cloud or Security.

Windows Defender is only stronger then McAfee, I just saw a new test against malware on youtube, and it removed 10 of like 60 infections , very bad for the casual or less informed user.

If you are experienced, and or don't do much online WD its fine.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I did test Comodo AV and Windows Defender in the past, to compare resources etc. I recall Comodo being a bit lighter to run overall. It may have changed since then. 1-1/2 yrs ago.

I'm currently running no anti virus and nothing but maybe the Windows Firewall, lol. I have a full backup and install handy. So far, I scanned with AVG under time freeze, found nothing and I scanned with Comodo Cloud and it hated Torch browser and quarentined it.

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
Windows Defender does have a behavior blocker. You have to go into gpedit and enable it.
Capture.PNG
Oh, I forgot about this. Sorry :p

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I am currently running Windows Defender and I think it fits my needs because I only use this laptop for streaming media, Microsoft Office work, social media browsing, nothing much....
You are right. You perform the standard tasks, which are very good secured with built-in Windows 10 security:
  1. Standard User Account.
  2. Universal Applications from Windows Store (Appcontainer).
You can add Adguard DNS to avoid malicious Internet locations.
The above simple configuration +Defender + SmartScreen will be far more secure than any antivirus suite on Admin account. The Standard User Account can mitigate about 80% of malware (including exploits and 0-day).
Using applications in AppContainer will stop the rest. You have the probability to be infected as being hit by the thunder.

The below are examples of useful Universal Applications (from Windows Store):
  • Word Mobile (also Excel Mobile and PowerPoint Mobile) - office document viewing;
  • Word Online - for document editing;
  • Edge or another web browser using Appcontainer - for the Internet;
  • Edge or Microsoft Reader - for viewing PDF files;
  • VLC for Windows Store - for watching the films;
  • Groove Music - for the music files;
  • Microsoft Photos - for viewing the photos.
Is the above setup bulletproof? No. But, do you really need a bulletproof jacket when sleeping in the bed?

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Windows Defender does have a behavior blocker. You have to go into gpedit and enable it.
It's enabled by default, gpedit can be used to disable it. As shown by the screenshot posted by @Syafiq

My vote goes to Defender, as it was compared to comodo AV. If it was CCAV then I would have chosen it, as it seemed much lighter to me and has auto containment.

L

Local Host

Windows Defender is among the most resource intensive nowadays (which is ridiculous considering how basic it is), most third-party offers including Comodo itself will offer you better performance overall.

From the two you suggested I would vote Comodo every day, but if we add other third-party offers I would never suggest Comodo to anyone. Panda Cloud Anti-Virus should be light enough for your needs and has a good detection rate.

Reactions: toto

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Windows Defender is among the most resource intensive nowadays (which is ridiculous considering how basic it is).

The below statements are not true on Windows 10:
  1. Windows Defender is among the most resource intensive nowadays.
  2. Windows Defender is a very basic antivirus.
It is true that is not the lightest antivirus in the world (rather should be placed somhwere in the middle).:)
Help Me Decide - Kaspersky free vs Windows Defender
Antivirus evolved
Windows Defender Antivirus cloud protection service: Advanced real-time defense against...

Last edited:
L

Local Host

The below statements are not true on Windows 10:
  1. Windows Defender is among the most resource intensive nowadays.
  2. Windows Defender is a very basic antivirus.
It is true that is not the lightest antivirus in the world (rather should be placed somhwere in the middle).:)
Help Me Decide - Kaspersky free vs Windows Defender
Antivirus evolved
Propaganda from Microsoft and a link from AV-Test Labs are hardly compelling evidence, against the huge amount of videos and articles that prove what I said,
There's many more from multiple sources, of course my opinion is based on my own testing and not on others opinions! :cautious:

Reactions: toto and frogboy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.