Battle Windows Defender vs Comodo Antivirus

toto

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I am currently running Windows Defender and I think it fits my needs because I only use this laptop for streaming media, Microsoft Office work, social media browsing, nothing much....
I have Comodo on a copy of Windows 10 on a virtual box just to test it, and I find it to be very light on resources.
Do you guys think that Comodo can be lighter than Windows Defender
*I just need an antivirus to sit there in case something unexpected happens, like the Ccleaner thing :p
I need the lightest of the two according to your experience.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I have not tried Comodo clud, if I have tried for a long time the CF with the Cs configuration, I can say it is very light. and special for 0 days
Windows Defender I do not have it installed because I use win 7 ... But my friends say that Windows Defender comsume CPU like a pig.

Last edited:
Reactions: given

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
In the video..
Comodo IS signs detected CCleaner malware (Auto-Sandbox was not tested).
Comodo Cloud didn't detected CCleaner malware (Sample was executed & didn't run Sandboxed).

cruelsister mentioned Comodo Cloud will ALLOW but Comodo Firewall at her settings will SANDBOX.
Did you tested cruelsister's settings (no HIPS ON or extra tweaks)?
I tested with COMODO Firewall at my settings and CCleaner will be contained. Unfortunaletly, I have no screenshot. My settings are just the same of Cruelsister but the sandbox is on deny instead of run virtually in restricted mode, HIPS are ON on default-deny with no alert, there are some tweaks on the firewall in the advanced part, file reputation if OFF and I enabled HIPS command line scanning for all applications.

Here are my settings: COMODO - Maximum Security.cfgx

In this case, the HIPS didn't influence the test because I got an alert from the Container when I tried to run the sample, which was blocked on execution and quarantined due to my settings.

I tested both with cloud lookup disabled and enabled and the sample was Always blocked, because it was identified as unrecognised

With Cruelsister settings the result will be the same, because the sample will be run restricted instead of blocked on execution and the connections out will be blocked because the sample is unrecognised

Last edited:
R

Raka Daku

I tested with COMODO Firewall at my settings and CCleaner will be contained. Unfortunaletly, I have no screenshot. My settings are just the same of Cruelsister but the sandbox is on deny instead of run virtually in restricted mode, HIPS are ON on default-deny with no alert, there are some tweaks on the firewall in the advanced part, file reputation if OFF and I enabled HIPS command line scanning for all applications.

Here are my settings: COMODO - Maximum Security.cfgx

In this case, the HIPS didn't influence the test because I got an alert from the Container when I tried to run the sample, which was blocked on execution and quarantined due to my settings.

I tested both with cloud lookup disabled and enabled and the sample was Always blocked, because it was identified as unrecognised

With Cruelsister settings the result will be the same, because the sample will be run restricted instead of blocked on execution and the connections out will be blocked because the sample is unrecognised
Your settings are more restricted or customized compared to cruelsister's.
Do you have TVL customized too i.e vendors removed?

Do you have & can provide me CCleaner malicious sample?
I would like to test with Comodo Cloud & Comodo Firewall at cruelsister's.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Your settings are more restricted or customized compared to cruelsister's.
Do you have TVL customized too i.e vendors removed?

Do you have & can provide me CCleaner malicious sample?
I would like to test with Comodo Cloud & Comodo Firewall at cruelsister's.
No, it's exactly the same.. The HIPS doesn't enter the game in this test. The sample is handled as unrecognised and so it's virtualised
No, I used the default trusted vendors list...
@Marko :) should have the CCleaner sample to provide you. He sent that to me

Reactions: given and Marko :)

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
Reactions: given and Raka Daku
R

Raka Daku

No, it's exactly the same.. The HIPS doesn't enter the game in this test. The sample is handled as unrecognised and so it's virtualised
No, I used the default trusted vendors list...
@Marko :) should have the CCleaner sample to provide you. He sent that to me
Marko mentioned the thread. I downloaded the Zip file.
I have Comodo Firewall Beta 10.0.2.6350 installed.

I tried the samples with cruelsister's settings.
Samples run normal i.e NOT Sandboxed

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Marko mentioned the thread. I downloaded the Zip file.
I have Comodo Firewall Beta 10.0.2.6350 installed.

I tried the samples with cruelsister's settings.
This is so strange @cruelsister
I am quite busy right now, but I will give it an other test!
I didn't use the beta, by the way. By default, in my COMODO Firewall Piriform was not in the Trusted Vendors list
Did you run CCleaner 32 bit? Because the 64 bit version wasn't compromised..

EDIT: I realised I uploaded a screenshot of the test on the forum Malware found in official Ccleaner installers

Last edited:
R

Raka Daku

This is so strange @cruelsister
I am quite busy right now, but I will give it an other test!
I didn't use the beta, by the way. By default, in my COMODO Firewall Piriform was not in the Trusted Vendors list
Did you run CCleaner 32 bit? Because the 64 bit version wasn't compromised..

EDIT: I realised I uploaded a screenshot of the test on the forum Malware found in official Ccleaner installers
I tried CCleaner 32 Bits first & then 64 Bits too, all run normal i.e NOT Sandboxed

Piriform Ltd is in the Trusted Vendors List in CCAV, CFW Stable & CFW Beta.

I tried CCleaner malware with CFW Stable at cruelsister's

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I tried CCleaner 32 Bits first & then 64 Bits too, all run normal i.e NOT Sandboxed

Piriform Ltd is in the Trusted Vendors List in CCAV, CFW Stable & CFW Beta.

I tried CCleaner malware with CFW Stable at cruelsister's
I got the point. In the non-beta version of CFW, Piriform is not in the trusted vendors. That's why. At the time of the infection, users would have run the stable one and not get infected.
However, anyone would have allowed the blocking of the sample, considering it's just CCleaner andit would have been recognised as safe by any user

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I am currently running Windows Defender and I think it fits my needs because I only use this laptop for streaming media, Microsoft Office work, social media browsing, nothing much....
I have Comodo on a copy of Windows 10 on a virtual box just to test it, and I find it to be very light on resources.
Do you guys think that Comodo can be lighter than Windows Defender
*I just need an antivirus to sit there in case something unexpected happens, like the Ccleaner thing :p
I need the lightest of the two according to your experience.
I'd go for defender just for the stability, lack of false positives and no 10 year old disappearing rule bug.

R

Raka Daku

I got the point. In the non-beta version of CFW, Piriform is not in the trusted vendors. That's why. At the time of the infection, users would have run the stable one and not get infected.
However, anyone would have allowed the blocking of the sample, considering it's just CCleaner andit would have been recognised as safe by any user
I have mentioned in my last post, Piriform Ltd is in Comodo Firewall Stable i.e Non-Beta version too.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
I have mentioned in my last post, Piriform Ltd is in Comodo Firewall Stable i.e Non-Beta version too.
This is so strange. I don't find it in my COMODO. I never touched trusted vendors list and have just re-installed it
file.PNG

R

Raka Daku

This is so strange. I don't find it in my COMODO. I never touched trusted vendors list and have just re-installed it
View attachment 170778
Ok.. they have removed Piriform from Trusted Vendors (removed in CFW, but not in CCAV yet)

I have CIS latest stable version offline installer. I installed & checked, Piriform is in Trusted Vendors. I checked for updates, web protection databases & recognizers updated. I checked Trusted Vendors, Piriform was removed.

It seems, after CCleaner issue, they have removed Piriform from Trusted Vendors in CFW, but not in CCAV yet. And this is the reason, CCAV allow & CFW sandbox the CCleaner malware.

Reactions: TheMalwareMaster

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Ok.. they have removed Piriform from Trusted Vendors (removed in CFW, but not in CCAV yet)

I have CIS latest stable version offline installer. I installed & checked, Piriform is in Trusted Vendors. I checked for updates, web protection databases & recognizers updated. I checked Trusted Vendors, Piriform was removed.

It seems, after CCleaner issue, they have removed Piriform from Trusted Vendors in CFW, but not in CCAV yet. And this is the reason, CCAV allow & CFW sandbox the CCleaner malware.
Yes, that's what I was saying, we finally agree... Just installed COMODO Firewall on a virtual machine with default settings and Piriform is not in the trusted vendors list

Reactions: Raka Daku
R

Raka Daku

3). Now the choice between Comodo cloud and Comodo Firewall- Here I will the malware you mentioned- the CCleaner malware-
(Please note that Comodo STILL has no definition against it, at least against the strain I used in my last video):
a. Comodo Cloud will ALLOW the CCleaner malware to run AND the attempt to connect to the malware Server will be allowed (not good at all)
b. Comodo Firewall will sandbox the malicious CCleaner and the Outbound connections will be prevented (this using Cruel Comodo). An Optimal Result.
After CCleaner issue, they have removed Piriform from Trusted Vendors in CFW, but not in CCAV yet...THIS is the reason, CCAV allow & CFW sandbox the CCleaner malware.

It's not CCAV protection design issue (CCAV protection design is the same as CFW)
Piriform present in Trusted Vendors in CFW, Cruel Comodo too will not protect from the CCleaner malware.

zzz00m

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jun 10, 2017
Since the question asked was specifically about Comodo Antivirus, I would say that the easy answer here as far as AV goes is for Defender.

I have never read anything good about Comodo AV, but I used Comodo Firewall for years, and liked it. Usually turned off everything but the firewall and paired it with a decent AV, typically Avast or something.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
For instance, if I code malware (not that a Kind and Gentle person like myself would EVER consider doing such a thing), it will bypass WD as it will be a true Zero Day; however Comodo will essentially tell me to screw myself and contain the zero day thingy

Didn't you do just that earlier in the year create a bypass of Comodo when all the Comodo VS conflits stories were going about? And you created an exploit that went straight through CF. I remember because CF users on the forums were worried if you could do it others could too.

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Comodo Cloud Antivirus - v1.14.431397.586 - BETA

Login

New:
Fileless Malware Support:

Like CIS, now CCAV also has support for file less malware. You can find related settings under "Settings-->Advanced Protection-->Miscellaneous" as "Do heuristic command line analysis...".

Password Protection:
Now you have password protection feature available and can be accessed via "Settings --> General Settings --> User Interface".

Compliant to Cloud Files Feature:
This version is fully compliant with latest Cloud Files Feature introduced in Windows 10 RS3 release.

Enhanced Virus Scope:
In this version, CCAV will be providing base support for additional events allowing VirusScope modules to detect more complex malware.

System-restart reminder upon update:
Many users update CCAV but do not re-start system and thus remains unprotected. We have introduced a reminder alert in case user does not re-start system upon update.

Reactions: ZeroDay and XhenEd

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.