App Review Windows Defender vs Ransomware in 2021

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
The PC Security Channel
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

In his defense if you watch the video you will see that he tests first with an internet connection and afterwards performs the same test without an internet connection.
The results from his first test were quite okay, but the second test really broke the system.
In both tests all the files protected by Controlled Folder Access were spared/not encrypted.
His conclusion was that if you rely on Microsoft Defender (at defaults) you need to enable Controlled Folder Access (not default).
So, it is great to see that Controlled Folder Access did what it is supposed to do.
Well thats great that he did that! It's my fault for not watching the video before posting my last comment! So, I do owe Leo an apology in that regard.
Yet people keep using them as sources.
Like you I always suggest people take any AV test (professional and/or other wise) with a grain of salt. That being said, all tests do have their place and can have some useful insight, especially when you look back historically. In saying this, I feel that the biggest issue surrounding many of these tests aren't necessarily the results themselves, but rather how one interprets these results. Many people just look at the bar graphs and make generalized conclusions about the various products tested. Many professional tests do have appendixes that go into more detail to explain some of the results...however, not many people go an look at those.

For example, WD use to have very high FP rates on AV-comparatives, however when one looks at the appendix...one would see that the vast majority of WD's FPs came from files with very low, to low prevalence. Where as any files with medium, or higher had virtually no FPs. This is helpful because, while the total number of FPs (all categories summed together) is high, it shows that most people really won't have an issue. Most popular programs would normally fall under the medium to high category, which are the more important categories IMHO.

Tests like the one Leo does have the same issue. Since they aren't a written documentation like AV-comparatives, they have to go out of their way to explain the results. This is where Leo has the most issues and why many like myself take issue with his tests. Its not always about the result, but rather his lack of explanation as well as not always being the most thorough in his testing. As a result, it gives the wrong impression and leaves people who use his videos to decide which program to use the wrong idea.

So in the end, tests can be helpful and provide some insight, however they should still be taken with a grain of salt. One must also take the time to actually learn and understand what the results really mean. Testers like Leo need to start doing a better job of being more thorough with their testing, as well as doing a better job of explaining the results, as to not give the wrong idea/impression.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
Well thats great that he did that! It's my fault for not watching the video before posting my last comment! So, I do owe Leo an apology in that regard.

Like you I always suggest people take any AV test (professional and/or other wise) with a grain of salt. That being said, all tests do have their place and can have some useful insight, especially when you look back historically. In saying this, I feel that the biggest issue surrounding many of these tests aren't necessarily the results themselves, but rather how one interprets these results. Many people just look at the bar graphs and make generalized conclusions about the various products tested. Many professional tests do have appendixes that go into more detail to explain some of the results...however, not many people go an look at those.

For example, WD use to have very high FP rates on AV-comparatives, however when one looks at the appendix...one would see that the vast majority of WD's FPs came from files with very low, to low prevalence. Where as any files with medium, or higher had virtually no FPs. This is helpful because, while the total number of FPs (all categories summed together) is high, it shows that most people really won't have an issue. Most popular programs would normally fall under the medium to high category, which are the more important categories IMHO.

Tests like the one Leo does have the same issue. Since they aren't a written documentation like AV-comparatives, they have to go out of their way to explain the results. This is where Leo has the most issues and why many like myself take issue with his tests. Its not always about the result, but rather his lack of explanation as well as not always being the most thorough in his testing. As a result, it gives the wrong impression and leaves people who use his videos to decide which program to use the wrong idea.

So in the end, tests can be helpful and provide some insight, however they should still be taken with a grain of salt. One must also take the time to actually learn and understand what the results really mean. Testers like Leo need to start doing a better job of being more thorough with their testing, as well as doing a better job of explaining the result, as to not give the wrong idea/impression.
"as to not give the wrong idea/impression." yeah say that to the independent lab testers.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
This thread made me turn on the Protection Folder in Microsoft Defender. I can see that the Controlled Folder Access is now On in Configure Defender.

Capture.PNG

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
This thread made me turn on the Protection Folder in Microsoft Defender. I can see that the Controlled Folder Access is now On in Configure Defender.

View attachment 253960
When enabling CFA, please use the <Defender Security Log> to recognize the blocked processes and next use CFA <Exclusions> to allow these processes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.