Windows Defender worrying test results!

• Thread starter ForgottenSeer 59295
  • Start date
F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author

I've just watched this video and kind of makes me worried about running Windows Defender as my primary AV.

I had been running EAM but didn't feel the need for it as it my browsing habits and computer usage but after seeing WD perform so badly it has me worried.

I have tried BD Free for some reason it won't let me computer shut down. As in when I hit shut down it takes me back to windows 10 log in screen.

So just really looking for a reliable free solution. Surpised how badly WD performed so badly

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

I've just watched this video and kind of makes me worried about running Windows Defender as my primary AV.

I had been running EAM but didn't feel the need for it as it my browsing habits and computer usage but after seeing WD perform so badly it has me worried.

I have tried BD Free for some reason it won't let me computer shut down. As in when I hit shut down it takes me back to windows 10 log in screen.

So just really looking for a reliable free solution. Surpised how badly WD performed so badly

Don’t worry. His tests aren’t very representative of real world conditions, and his bias is clear in most of his videos. WD is a good AV if you have relatively safe habits and use edge, or WD Browser Protection or BitDefender Traffic Light for web filtering.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Man, I gotta say this TPSC guy doesn't understand Windows Defender Sandbox. He thinks Windows Defender Sandbox is a sandbox similar to Comodo's sandbox feature that puts unknown apps into a separate sandbox/container but that's not the case here. It puts Windows Defender itself into a container which is a completely different thing. Besides even this feature is not stable yet. WD acted weirdly the last time I enabled it so it shouldn't have been enabled for the test. But he keeps saying Sandbox and haha and blah blah blah. Better do some research before putting things like that in your video.

Anyway, you shouldn't worry as YouTube tests doesn't represent real world scenarios. You have safe browsing habits and if you were protected by Emsisoft then it's highly unlikely that you would be infected by using Windows Defender. Windows Defender's cloud protection is pretty good and fast at detecting new threats. By default, the PUP protection is turned off so enable that manually and the detection rate is gonna get a bit better.
Follow what blackice said about security extensions.
You can harden Windows Defender using ConfigureDefender

Last edited by a moderator:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Nowadays, I focus less on system-wide modules with bulk and bigger attack surfaces and much more on tiny browser-based security (extensions, flags, etc). Windows Sandbox is still a work in progress anyway. The last cumulative update already addressed an issue with it. I run Defender but have never fully trusted an antivirus by itself.

YouTube "testers" with agendas. How boring. :sleep:

F

ForgottenSeer 59295

Thread author
Thanks guys I haven't used the config tool on here yet and haven't even turned on control folders probably should do that. I did read some where that Microsoft was outsourcing its definitions which was interesting. That said most of my stuff is done online and any documents I want to keep are backed up along with Photo's so don't always see the need for the controlled folders

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks guys I haven't used the config tool on here yet and haven't even turned on control folders probably should do that. I did read some where that Microsoft was outsourcing its definitions which was interesting. That said most of my stuff is done online and any documents I want to keep are backed up along with Photo's so don't always see the need for the controlled folders
Controlled folder access often even blocks safe applications so you may have to allow an application manually now and then. If you have your files backed up and don't worry about losing them then it's fine not to use that protection.
But try the ConfigureDefender tool and use the High preset if you have no problem.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Nowadays, I focus less on system-wide modules with bulk and bigger attack surfaces and much more on tiny browser-based security (extensions, flags, etc). Windows Sandbox is still a work in progress anyway. The last cumulative update already addressed an issue with it. I run Defender but have never fully trusted an antivirus by itself.

YouTube "testers" with agendas. How boring. :sleep:

If you want to make Controlled Folder Access much more protective system-wide, try adding these folders to it:

This is a very skillful trick from Andy/Windows Security!

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thread author
Man, I gotta say this TPSC guy doesn't understand Windows Defender Sandbox. He thinks Windows Defender Sandbox is a sandbox similar to Comodo's sandbox feature that puts unknown apps into a separate sandbox/container but that's not the case here. It puts Windows Defender itself into a container which is a completely different thing. Besides even this feature is not stable yet. WD acted weirdly the last time I enabled it so it shouldn't have been enabled for the test. But he keeps saying Sandbox and haha and blah blah blah. Better do some research before putting things like that in your video.

Agreed!

I have nothing against Leo personally, but I do take issue with how his tests/opinions are done.

This test in particular is a good example. There are two possible scenarios in my mind.

It's either:
A. He really doesn't know how this feature works/is intended for, which is a problem in my opinion, as he is running a test and coming to a conclusion based on something he has no clue about. This is the reason why I'm not a fan of YouTube tests in general. Just because you can run a malware pack and have some knowledge on computers doesn't mean you know everything. If you are going to do a test/review, better make sure you do your homework on each product before jumping in, as it can lead to misleading results/info.

B. He does know how it works, but is running this test to just bash WD. This is also a problem, if not worse then A, as it just shows that he is indeed running tests and essentially rigging them one way or another. Which in turns makes all his test invalid, as they aren't being done with integrity and a non bias approach.

I'm leaning more towards it being A, but either one is still a problem IMO.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I liked his tests before I was even a MT member and knew next to nothing. His shilling for big AV companies and the automated, shotgun approach (dumping huge numbers of malware on the system) turned me off. And that's on top of what I've learned here on the forum.

Bikeman0I17

Level 1
Verified
Sep 22, 2017
I almost believed this youtube test, and reinstalled Avast Free, but then after opening Avast setup program, changed my mind and stuck with Defender thus far, weekly Malwarebytes scan last Friday night came back all clean. (through scan that took hours) Friday night late i'll do my second weekly scan with Defender first, then Malwarebytes, and hopefully all still clean

Syafiq

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2017
I almost believed this youtube test, and reinstalled Avast Free, but then after opening Avast setup program, changed my mind and stuck with Defender thus far, weekly Malwarebytes scan last Friday night came back all clean. (through scan that took hours) Friday night late i'll do my second weekly scan with Defender first, then Malwarebytes, and hopefully all still clean
I'm really happy to know! Just keep the safe browsing habits and don't click at suspicious email attachments and you're all set ! :)

Reactions: Venustus

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.