Windows Firewall: Block an Application from Accessing the Internet (Guide)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
HOWTOGEEK.COM - How to Block An Application from Accessing the Internet with Windows Firewall

upload_2015-8-28_19-51-28.png

Why Do I Want To Do This?

"Some of you might have been sold immediately by the headline, as blocking an application is exactly what you’ve been wanting to do. Others may have opened this tutorial curious as to why one would block an application in the first place.

Although you generally want your applications to have free access to the network (after all what good is a web browser that can’t reach the web) there are a variety of situations in which you may wish to prevent an application from accessing the network.

Some simple and commonplace examples are as follows. You might have an application that insists on automatically updating itself (but those updates break some functionality and you wish to stop the updates). You might have a video game that you’re comfortable with your child playing, but you’re not so comfortable with the online (and unsupervised) multiplayer elements. You might be using an application with really obnoxious ads that can be silenced by cutting off the application’s Internet access.

Regardless of why you want to drop the cone of network connectivity silence over a given application, a trip into the guts of the Windows Firewall is an easy way to do so. Let’s take a look at how to block an application from accessing the local network and Internet now."​

Although we’ll be demonstrating this trick on Windows 10, the basic layout and premise has remained largely unchanged over the years and you can easily adapt this tutorial to earlier versions of Windows.

CREATING A WINDOWS FIREWALL RULE - How to Block An Application from Accessing the Internet with Windows Firewall

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I never actually knew the Windows Firewall had advanced features until I started to use Group Policy and noticed the option in there! :D

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I discovered the "Advanced" area in Windows 7 and loved how easy it was to use, I think it was called "Advanced settings" in win 7 if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the informative post Huracan.

D

Deleted member 178

The only thing is that if you want lockdown your system from unwanted outbound connection, is to create an allow rule for EACH apps you have that connect to internet and then block all outbound connections, could takes hours of works :D

Reactions: Dirk41

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
The only thing is that if you want lockdown your system from unwanted outbound connection, is to create an allow rule for EACH apps you have that connect to internet and then block all outbound connections, could takes hours of works :D

You can instal 3rd party Firewall control like Windows Firewall Control and save time configuring on first connections with pop ups xD

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its a misconception before that Windows Firewall is stinks but they don't realize that you need to configure more base on user preferences. The default configuration is always a meet for novice and newbie comfort zone. ;)

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I have selected the option to block ALL incoming connections on both home and public networks. Is this enough? Or do I have to go into the advanced section and start creating rules?

hJkEUhs.png

D

Deleted member 178

i guess you will have to create rules for softwares that needs updates :D

H

hjlbx

Yes... hours. I know. Pain in the ... . Great for locked-down system - that user rarely changes. Combine with AppGuard and NoVirusThanks Exe Radar Pro and you have protected system that is about as good as it is going to get. Can only improve upon by adding Shadow Defender and\or Sandboxie.

i know, but too easy is too boring :p

Toy factor... huge ! :D

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Nice! Managed to dig this post since I was searching on how to configure Windows 10 firewall.
So I presume adding those ruleset is pretty much similar/identical to what CIS user do on creating application ruleset on the firewall panel right?

H

hjlbx

Nice! Managed to dig this post since I was searching on how to configure Windows 10 firewall.
So I presume adding those ruleset is pretty much similar/identical to what CIS user do on creating application ruleset on the firewall panel right?

@CMLew do you know what you are getting yourself into ?

It is very time intensive; Comodo firewall is supremely more convenient - any firewall with good interface is more convenient.

I will see you next year... :D

Reactions: Andytay70

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
@CMLew do you know what you are getting yourself into ?

It is very time intensive; Comodo firewall is supremely more convenient - any firewall with good interface is more convenient.

I will see you next year... :D

I mean since I couldn't play with CIS together with EAM at the moment (haven't try @Umbra advice yet), so was kinda searching for alternative.
So you suggesting it's better to play firewall setting on a good interface program instead?

H

hjlbx

I mean since I couldn't play with CIS together with EAM at the moment (haven't try @Umbra advice yet), so was kinda searching for alternative.
So you suggesting it's better to play firewall setting on a good interface program instead?

Yes.

Try Windows Firewall Control (binisoft.org). $10 US Lifetime license, Unlimited Installs...

otherwise,

CIS is all you really need + its cost = $0.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Yes.

Try Windows Firewall Control (binisoft.org). $10 US Lifetime license, Unlimited Installs...

otherwise,

CIS is all you really need + its cost = $0.

Got it. Reading that guide link, seems much more complicated. Guess will use the simplest WFC then.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Why not just using Glaswire Firewall?

I have use it and it's much better that other Windows Firewall controls. Try it I am sure you will definitely like it. I liked it because it uses Windows Firewall and Enhanced it.

I use multiple Check Point VPN and many firewall is incompatible with it. But since GlassWire uses windows firewall I never had compatibility issues. ;)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Apology. Got abit confused here.
Firewall "Lockdown" = NVT ERP "Lockdown" ?
Since both also can be added to ruleset.
For e.g. if Firewall did not whitelist firefox (e.g.) it wouldn't run, but if NVT ERP did not whitelist firefox it wouldn't run either right assume both in lockdown mode?
That's where i'm puzzled. :confused:

Dirk41

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016

Me too :D i thought it was a little easier.
Anyway.
I surfed the net for ages to understand if wf allows all outbound connection by default, so if it is a one way fw. I found on MS community it is one way. Can someone confirm?
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.