Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Still Windows Firewall isn't working and updates can't be installed.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I scanned my pc with various programs to see if i was infected and tried to start Windows Firewall through Services.
In the picture bellow these are the updates that can't be installed.
Untitled.png
All the updates have the same error code.
I searched in google and saw that is a Windows Firewall related problem.
I went to Services and tried to manually start WF but i couldn't it gave an error message.

Another article suggested to scan the system because this kind of problem can be caused by a rootkit.
So i did scan on my pc with Kaspersky TDSS Killer, EEK, ZAM Premium, MBAM, ESET Online Scanner.
Nothing was found my pc is clean.

Some other articles suggested to start some other services like BITS because they may affect the functionality of WF but that didn't work too.

One last article that i was hoping to help me was talking about MpsSvc driver and it wanted through registry key to make some changes and enable WF after reboot. That also failed.

Finally today i decided to download W10 through Media Creation Tool to do a clean install but to my surprise that also failed:eek:.

If someone has encountered with this problem and solved it please help me.
Thanks in advance for your answers.

Reactions: Logethica

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@yesnoo i tried that tool but couldn't fix the firewall problem. And i run in safe mode.
In the end it's not such a big deal because i have Comodo firewall installed so i believe i am covered.
Thank you very much for your help and your suggestions.

Upvote 0

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
After searching for a few I finally solved the problem if you can tell it a solution.
It was very simple.
I went to Settings->Update and Security->Recovery->Reset this PC.
When I clicked on Get Started it showed me 2 options
1. Keep my files
2.Remove everything

I selected the first. Then it showed me a board with what 3rd party programs will be uninstalled and I clicked Next.

After 15-20 minutes my pc was up and running with 3rd party software removed and
Windows was back on it's default settings. Build 10586.0

I checked Task Manager and Services and Yes Windows Firewall is running:)Untitled.png

For now I skipped format;)

Thank you all for your help:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 2913

After searching for a few I finally solved the problem if you can tell it a solution.
It was very simple.
1. Keep my files
2.Remove everything

I selected the first. Then it showed me a board with what 3rd party programs will be uninstalled and I clicked Next.

After 15-20 minutes my pc was up and running with 3rd party software removed and

I checked Task Manager and Services and Yes Windows Firewall is running:)View attachment 95751

This is the reason I like AX64 on my machine i.e hourly snapshots are there to revert back i.e no need to refresh the system & lose stuffs.

I was going to mention refresh pc option as it solves almost every prob but thought you may not like the idea of losing stuffs & reinstalling all the stuffs.

Good to know refresh pc solved your probs...refresh pc is there to solve almost every prob simple & easy way but yes you do lose stuffs...though all can be reinstalled.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

It was very simple.
1. Keep my files
2.Remove everything

I checked Task Manager and Services and Yes Windows Firewall is running:)View attachment 95751

Sorry I just seen this. For future reference, when you uninstall a third party app like private firewall, and windows firewall will not start, it is more then likely a left over registry entry from the 3rd party application causing it that needs deleted. Opening Regedit then click "edit" and "Find" place the name of the product, then click enter. Once the first one shows up you can toggle to the next one it finds and so forth by tapping F3.

With windows 10, what @frogboy posted should have corrected any corrupted files. You would first want to run:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

The run a : sfc /scannow

Afterwards restarting the system.

Upvote 0

tonibalas

Level 40
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
@illumination thank you for your suggestion.
Maybe I forgot to mention it but I deleted the entries in registry of Private Firewall and Kaspersky.
I am doing that whenever i uninstall an app.
I tried what @frogboy suggested twice but didn't solve the problem.
I think that something happened with KIS and Windows Firewall but i can't be sure.
Resetting the system finally solved the problem;)

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.